Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPERMARKETS!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,

Ohh by the way , anyone who does not require the disabled space and parks in them should have their legs broken so they know what it feels like not to have full mobility. ( radical I know but I feel very stongly about that having looked after people with disabilities and I couldn't get in the spaces )

I think breaking their legs would be a disgraceful thing to do!!!
    Because then they would actually get a disabled sticker and be able to park in the spaces. :)
    Much better would be to have 'Disabled Space Abuser' tattooed in shocking green neon on their forehead and have all their hair laser treated so they cant hide it with a combover :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

StudentDad wrote: »
    I've said this before regarding prices here in the South - I won't pay them :) - I do all my family shopping in the North and only buy the day to day stuff like bread and milk in my local Tesco. If I need a product I will add it to the - 'Get it in Enniskillen List' - and if it's cheaper online I'll get it there. The shops in the South can go hang if they expect me to hand over my hard earned cash for high prices and shoddy service.

SD

And then come home and TUT TUT to the news when they announce more job losses due to business being bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Hi,

On mouldy bread .. I have had this a number of times , usually its the in-store baked bread/rolls , they put them warm into plastic and they sweat ... causes mould . Of course it shouldn't happen , but it does.

On pricing , sure we are still getting ' ripped off ' left right and centre , but we are a small market and our costs are high. Tesco went through a stage where their prices dropped ( change FOR GOOD ), by and large they have crept back to the same level ( or above ).

As for bad pricing ( as in the price charged being wrong ) maybe I am careful . I ALWAYS check my receipt , if I have a doubt I walk back to the shelf after paying and double check. I find that I get about 1 item free every 3 trips to Tesco ( average trip would be for 10-15 items ). I have never had a problem getting the money back , and sometimes it's quite a lot of money for example I got a huge bale of toilet rolls free the other month.

Ohh by the way , anyone who does not require the disabled space and parks in them should have their legs broken so they know what it feels like not to have full mobility. ( radical I know but I feel very stongly about that having looked after people with disabilities and I couldn't get in the spaces )
    jimoc wrote: »
    I think breaking their legs would be a disgraceful thing to do!!!
    Because then they would actually get a disabled sticker and be able to park in the spaces. :)
    Much better would be to have 'Disabled Space Abuser' tattooed in shocking green neon on their forehead and have all their hair laser treated so they cant hide it with a combover :)

Here's a suitable sign.

http://www.ratemyeverything.net/post/10191/Disabled_Sign_Broken_Spine_Version.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭liamwhite

And then come home and TUT TUT to the news when they announce more job losses due to business being bad...

keep there prices down and they wont have to cut jobs, come on tesco are not hurt by the recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

You're short on money
    You see an item you want or need. Let's just use a coat as an example.
    The coat is 60euro in an irish store.
    The coat is 30euro in a non irish store.
    Exact same coat. Which do you buy?
    People have money issues these days and should not be accused of being the reason for job losses or bad business sales simply because they can't afford some of these irish prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭liamwhite

greenie wrote: »
    You're short on money
    You see an item you want or need. Let's just use a coat as an example.
    The coat is 60euro in an irish store.
    The coat is 30euro in a non irish store.
    Exact same coat. Which do you buy?
    People have money issues these days and should not be accused of being the reason for job losses or bad business sales simply because they can't afford some of these irish prices.

Great comeback! and very well said...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Not my problem. I have to feed and clothe my family. Business in the South can either provide me with the goods I need at a price I deem fair or I'll go where these things are available.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

StudentDad wrote: »
    I've said this before regarding prices here in the South - I won't pay them :) - I do all my family shopping in the North and only buy the day to day stuff like bread and milk in my local Tesco. If I need a product I will add it to the - 'Get it in Enniskillen List' - and if it's cheaper online I'll get it there. The shops in the South can go hang if they expect me to hand over my hard earned cash for high prices and shoddy service.

SD

Thats all very well if you live within striking distance of Northern Ireland, there are a lot of people who don't.

We go approx twice a year and stock up on things like toothpaste/bog roll etc.

I have noticed ( or did the last time I went before Christmas ) that it wasn't AS cheap as before , and now VAT has gone back up Ill do some careful research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

Because my income is mostly in US dollars I immediately pay 1/3 extra for almost everything so I watch specials closely and rarely buy on impulse.

I do a major shop in Carrick on Shannon every 3 weeks alternating with a trip to Enniskillen. I buy some fresh stuff in my local shop or market day outside.

My local SuperValu is always out of advertised specials so I rarely go there.
    On past trips I was overcharged on at least 1 item and clerks do not seem to know how to process coupons and have to call managers to explain things. Very frustrating. Sadly I would love to shop there as it is an Irish owned store and I don't like big chains of any kind.

Tesco in the 26 counties did lower some prices but are now busily raising them.Tesco also has lots of little instore scams to beware of. Their 42 cent Tesco cola went to 79 cents in one jump and so did lots of their value line.

When they run out of a sale item they will replace it with a similar looking package at the higher price without taking the sign down. Check your receipts immediately before leaving.

Offering 1.5 litre drinks at the same price they used to offer the 2 litre drinks is a ripoff under big "special" signs.

Lots of 50% off specials are not. Just because there is a big sign does not mean it's a deal!

The same computer keyboard was 10 gbp in Eniiskillen that they wanted 20 euro for in Sligo.

Tesco has none of their in store specials on their web site so you can't make a proper shopping list before you go. Only Lidl and Dunnes do us this service.

Other tips:

When you spot a really good deal ie 2 litre Pepsi for 75 cents don't buy 2, buy enough for 2 months. Things like this don't go bad. Stock up on meat or frozen deals. Buy a small chest freezer.

Use pigsback.com shopping vouchers whenever possible and tie them in with in store specials for a double dip deal.

Use Irish Opinions surveys for Tesco gift cards.

Use Shop and Scan for Argos cards

My local shop has lots of deals in the outdated basket and is really quite good at sourcing deals as well. Shop local whenever you can but don't be a victim to rip off.

Don't be a consumer victim!!!! Speak up before you walk out.

Advertisement