Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blonde hair to brown???

• 06-02-2010 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey guys was just looking for some advice if any of you can help me.

So I have dyed blonde hair and would love a little change and was thinking of getting a semi permanent brown colour put in...now not dark brown just a medium brown really. Basically I want to be able to go back to the colour it is now next time I dye it in case I don't like it. I don't want to go to the hairdressers, was just gonna use a colour from the chemist. Any advice? even if its to tell me not to do it, I just want some peoples opinions!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I had blonde hair and dyed it brown about 2 years ago (best decision I've ever made) I got it done in the salon and it wasn't the typical dye they use, I must find out what they used (I'll get back to you on that) and it was absolutely wicked. It took too my hair so well, I've only ever had to top it up once! Even they can't believe it!

I personally, would advise against the chemist/boxed dye. i jsut don't trust them, and after seeing the results on some of my friends hair. It's well worth the euros to get it professionally dyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 starlett

I'm going to disagree... I think a salon is always going to do a better job than you could do yourself, but if you do it properly or get a friend to help, there's no reason why you can't do it at home.

I had platinum blonde hair that I dyed brown in September. Now the brown's lightened considerably, but it still looks good and I haven't had to redo it.

I'd suggest though maybe getting a streaking kit with brown dye rather than dump a load of dye over it.. if its a light brown colour, it could end up just looking more like a rinse and less like a dye job..Also, if your hair's not naturally blonde, to get back blonde you'll probably have to dye it again, since the brown dye will cling to your hair, semi permanent or not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruthie_

Thanks guys, see the thing is (and I know this sounds stupid) but I just want to dye it brown for a change just for a little while. I'm quite positive that I'll be going back to the blonde. I desperately just want a change for a while, I'm bored with my hair as I've been blonde for years!!

I don't really wanna go to the hairdressers as I'm quite broke and I just want this as a slight little change that I can undo the next time I get my blonde done. Can you get semi-permanent colours done in the hairdressers too? (I'm clueless!!) Or is it just the normal permanent dyes?! Maybe I should just leave it.....I dunno!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A word of warning - it's extremely difficult to get back to blonde after going darker. I had gorgeous blonde hair for years, and dyed it brown for a year when I was 18/19. It took me a good year to get back to the shade of blonde I wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I think you've to be very careful going from dyed blonde to brown - it can turn a completely different shade to what's on the box because your hair has been chemically lightened (not too sure on the actual explanation!). I got my highlighted hair dyed brown in a hairdressers because I was so afraid of ending up with orange hair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 starlett

You could always get a student hairdresser to do the dye job for you.
    I said it in another post, but I went to house of colour on capel street last week for a haircut and they were really good, I'd trust them to do my hair again.

The woman who did my hair had to check in with her teacher every few minutes to make sure she was doing it right, so I'd be confident to let them do a dye job since they're so careful.

As far as I remember, their dye jobs were €50 for a full head of hilights and €25 for an all over colour. You'd have to call them to ask about semi permanent though.

Ah guys maybe I should just leave it!! :confused::confused:

Hmmm I think I will cos I don't wanna change it just for a while then not be able to get back to my blonde cos I do love my hair colour at the mo you know just am a bit bored with it! Last time I was bored with it, I got it cut and regretted it 3 weeks later! So maybe I should learn from that ha! Thanks though so much cos I haven't a clue bout hair dye etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

There are loads of threads on this topic already if you want to do a search :)

Magenta wrote: »
    There are loads of threads on this topic already if you want to do a search :)

Oh cool thanks, didn't think of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

If you are going to do it yourself do a strand test first just to make sure you are happy with it!.
    A salon will do a better job but will be more expensive.

I use boots botanics semi permanents on my brown hair and they are great they leave your hair lovely and shiny and don't take too long to use. They have a nice light brown colour baked nutmeg I think its called that could be worth a look as its recommended for blondes but as I said do a strand test first before chucking it on your whole head dont just trust what it says it will look like on the box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Hi ya, I have dyed blonde hair, get it done in salon every six weeks. Felt like you are about 3 years ago, got a brown dye in supermarket. Put it in was happy out.... when I washed it out, my hair was a dark orange!!!! So got another brown(well my sis did, I couldnt go outside the door) Same thing only a darker orange.
    Went to salon next day, spent a lot of money and 7 hours there getting the orange out and blond back in. So my advise would be not to even try it yourself, get it done by a professional.
    Buy a wig in heatons to see if the brown suits you!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm gonna stick to the blonde tho I just don't wanna risk it!! Might get a different shade or something tho :)

Advertisement