Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education systems in the North

Options
  • 06-02-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

I'm reading this article on today's BBC and it distinguishes between "non-denominational" schools and "Catholic" schools in the North.

I assume "non-denominational" are not state schools as the United Kingdom is officially a Protestant, or rather Anglican, state where nobody but a member of the Church of England can become head of state. Where, therefore, are these non-denominational schools?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure what point you are trying to make. Apart from that, education in NI is a law unto itself, legistation there is not applicable to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

The State schools in NI all have Protestant clergy on their boards. These schools have a Protestant and British ethos. 45% of pupils are educated in Catholic schools and almost all the rest are in State schools.

NI has a very high level of religious segregation compared to the rest of the UK and Ireland. Segregated education will perpetuate a segregated society and ensure the continuation of the zero-sum tribal war defined by religion.

Reform of this system is necessary: but would meet huge resistance I feel.

Complete secularisation down here would have much influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

T runner wrote: »
    The State schools in NI all have Protestant clergy on their boards. These schools have a Protestant and British ethos. 45% of pupils are educated in Catholic schools and almost all the rest are in State schools.

NI has a very high level of religious segregation compared to the rest of the UK and Ireland. Segregated education will perpetuate a segregated society and ensure the continuation of the zero-sum tribal war defined by religion.

Reform of this system is necessary: but would meet huge resistance I feel.

Complete secularisation down here would have much influence

I doubt that very much. Society has secularised down here quite a lot, especially in the last 20 years. The same can't be said for the north. While the violence has died down, it is still totally tribal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

As someone who has been through it, I can safely the NI system is completely tribal (it reinforces the "us" and "them" mentality) and I can't see it changing any time soon. There's also the grammar school/secondary school division at second level that ingrains another "label" on people: those who were smart enough to get in and those who weren't. It's horrible to tag someone as being of a certain level of intelligence at age eleven - and even when they try to change it the schools themselves refuse!

Saying that, there's a growing sector of "integrated" schools which provide a tiny glimmer of hope for the future - although they're often looked down upon by the majority in both communities as lacking.

Advertisement