Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trade in value and no nct

• 06-02-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

hey guys, following on from my post yesterday about my focus ive got to thinking would i be better off changing my car before it starts to become a money pit.

i have a 99 ford focus estate 1.4 lx. 168000 miles on the clock and no nct as the bushings nee to be done.

my question is will a garage give me any trade in value on a car that has no nct?? and if they will how much do u reckon id get for it.

i need to weigh up,will the difference in price between the car having an nct and not having one outweight the price of the job to fix it.

cheers
    dunny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Did you try putting it through the NCT to see if it didn't fail on anything else? If only the bushings needed fixing then it's sort of half NCT'd ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭djdunny

yea i already had it nct'd and it failed for the bushing so i know thats the only thing that it will fail on. but ive been quoted bout 300 quid to get the bushings replaced. so if it was 250 less off the trade in due to the nct then its not worth my while getting it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Bring the NCT report with you when buying your new car, the main reason a dealer would mark down a non-NCT'd car would be because it's an "unknown quantity". They know they have to get it through an NCT before they'll be able to sell it to the next customer.

If you have a piece of paper from the NCT testers that says "the car is fine, except for this little bit" then the dealer has a known quantity and will just adjust your trade-in price by the cost of repairing the bushings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Would you not spend the 250 quid, to get the 1500 quid scrappage for a new car? Makes sense to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Would you not spend the 250 quid, to get the 1500 quid scrappage for a new car? Makes sense to me...

You don't need a current NCT to get the new car scrappage. Just proof that it failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Confab wrote: »
    You don't need a current NCT to get the new car scrappage. Just proof that it failed.

Happy days then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With all due respect op a garage will give you sweet feck all trade-in allowance for a 99 Focus estate with 168k miles on it, irrespective of NCT or not. There is just no money in it for a dealer to take your car, fix, service, valet it and offer some sort of short warranty on it in order to make it sellable.
    Unless you are availing of the scrappage scheme to buy a brand new car then don't even contemplate trading it in against a used car. The dealer will only give you a token trade-in allowance for it meaning you miss out on getting a better discount off the price of the car you are interested in if buying straight (no trade-in).

Put the Focus through the NCT if you like and then see what needs fixing, do the maths and see if it viable to repair it before trying to sell it privately.

All they will be doing is knocking off the "cash price" fat off the windscreen price for the trade in, if they take it at all. The Focus is worth very little, NCTd or not. Try and flog is privately as is without NCT, some guy able to twirl a spanner may be tempted for a DIY fix and then through the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭djdunny

cheers for all the info guys. i think a private sale is looking more likely. anyone wanna buy a 99 ford focus estate with 168k miles and no nct :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Do whatever needs to be done and put an NCT on it. It's not as much hassle as you think and will add at least some sort of desirability to your car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement