Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative - General Help

Options
  • 06-02-2010 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,

I am kind of confused as to what the
    1) general vision and viewpoint
    2) literary genre
    3) cultural context
    all mean.

Could someone just write a short description about what points you should write about for each of these.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I did my LC 2 years ago and this is what I did for cultural context (got an A1 in English):

- Religion: Compared religious values, authority, customs etc. in each text. Does religion effect the lives of the main characters? Does it have any influence on them? Is this similiar/different to the experience of a character in another text?

- Economy and jobs: What is the economy like in the time the text is set? Are the people well-off or poor? Is their high unemployment in the country or little job opportunities and does this effect the characters in any way? For example, in Philadelphia, Here I Come, Gar plans to emigrate because of the lack of job opportunities in rural Ireland. Is this similiar/different to the experiience of a character in another text?

- Class differences/Social standing: Are class differences a problem for any of the characters? For example, in Philadelphia HIC, Katie's father does not approve of her relationship with Gar because of their different standings in society (upper class vs. lower class). How does this effect the characters - do they experience prejudice etc. etc. Also applies to racism - in The Secret Life of Bees we see the clear differences between the way black and white people were treated at the time.

- Setting: You can always talk a bit about and compare the settings of each text. Rural Ireland (PHIC) vs. Southern America (SLB) vs. Italy (Cinema Paradiso) etc. Also the time context - 1960s vs. 1980s or whatever time period they're set in.

All I can think of at the moment but remember to compare, compare, compare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Bubblebeard

Im doing my leaving atm , and we did General Vision & View Point and Cultural Context
    With General Vision and View Point i think its the case of is the text pessimistic or optimistic , i got a bunch of notes off my teacher on that
    And the cultural Context has got to do with the enviroment around them and how it effects them as people , for example , we did Billy Elliot for the film , and in Durham at the time , the miners were striking . The miners have no jobs (including Bills father and brother) and that effects them , makes them angry etc , if you catch my drift , i aint that good at explaining :E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 f0irfe

Thanks for the replies! They helped alot, especially Hotaru!

Advertisement