Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personality or Looks???????

Options
  • 06-02-2010 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

What do you go for??? I know this was already asked in after hours but i want to see what young people go for. Personally i go for a mix of both prob 70:30 in favour of personality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

In fairness, everyone is just gonna say, oh i love both! :pac:

and i'm one of those people...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

In theory, personality, but I mean, you've gotta have standards you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Needs a poll tbh :)

Both for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Well, upon meeting someone, the first thing you're going to notice is how they look (none of us can see into somebody's head and think "oh, they've got a lovely personality there..!). So, upon first impressions, looks will obviously be key. This isn't myself being shallow or anything, it's the only way it could be really! :P

The important thing is, it's the personality that keeps you interested in a person. I couldn't see myself being remotely attracted to someone who looked good, but didn't have two brain cells to rub together.. So personality is clearly the thing that matters most in the long run. Of course, getting someone who has both looks and a great personality is an added bonus.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

A good combination of both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Both are definitely important. Personality just about wins out though.
    Although I reckon talent is also a factor. Talent = sexiness. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I like an all rounder meself :D
    Get the best of both worlds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭justaday

both. the girl has to be good looking but i would choose the girl i fancy in my class over some hot celeb any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

When I walk into a bar, it's the looks that attract me. So it's looks at first, but if the realationshiplasts, that will be down to personality. Honestly the thing I'm attracted to is a sense of humor .i.e they laugh at my jokes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

What Aoibheann said pretty much sums up the way I think about it.
    Obviously you're going to need some form of physical attraction in the beginning, hence the looks, but from there on out it's all about the personality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Personality is better, but looks are important too, no point being with someone you aren't attracted to.

So like, is everyone just saying the exact same thing but in slightly different words?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Personality is better, but looks are important too, no point being with someone you aren't attracted to.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

90:10 for personality.
    Ok OK, 80:20.

But right now I'm eh liking this lad and he has such an amazing personality but other girls said he's kind of ugly and they wouldn't go for him...and I think he's good-looking. I suppose his personality has kind of influenced my opinion on his looks, if that makes sense. I don't really mind if the girls don't agree with me, makes things that bit easier.
    But I've never been one for liking people mainly for looks now that I think of it. I'm quite proud of myself now :)

So like, is everyone just saying the exact same thing but in slightly different words?
    creggy wrote: »
    I couldn't have put it better myself.

I WIN! MY WAY OF SAYING IT IS THE BEST!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

For me it's been different with different people so i'd say it depends on the person really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Brains. <3

Brains. <3

Brains over personality?
    A lot of people are quite clever but more than willing to use it as an excuse to be a condescending prick tbh.
    I'd rather someone of average intelligence who knows it than someone a bit clever who thinks they're a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

At first, 80% looks/20% personality.
    Then those percentages slowly reverse over the ensuing months.

Brains over personality?
    A lot of people are quite clever but more than willing to use it as an excuse to be a condescending prick tbh.
    I'd rather someone of average intelligence who knows it than someone a bit clever who thinks they're a genius.

Not necessarily over personality, but I know lots of people who I love and are very bubbly and engaging people, and I think that that is a kind of intelligence.
    In terms of my own personal taste? Well,it isn't particularly well defined but I also hate arrogance. Despise it. Clever people who don't act like know-it-alls are my ideal,I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Brains over personality?

I'd consider someone's intelligence to be part of their personality tbh.

I wouldn't want anyone who's hugely arrogant about their intelligence, definitely not (although I probably can come across as something of a know-it-all >.<). However, intelligence is something I personally find to be very attractive. I don't mean book-smarts/academia, I mean intelligence of any form. I don't think it's superficial to want someone who's on a similar level with you, whatever that level is. I like having somebody I can talk to about anything under the sun, from something completely ridiculous, to having actual serious debates about different issues. Then again, I just <3 opinionated people. :)

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »

I wouldn't want anyone who's hugely arrogant about their intelligence, definitely not (although I probably can come across as something of a know-it-all >.<). However, intelligence is something I personally find to be very attractive. I don't mean book-smarts/academia, I mean intelligence of any form. I don't think it's superficial to want someone who's on a similar level with you, whatever that level is. I like having somebody I can talk to about anything under the sun, from something completely ridiculous, to having actual serious debates about different issues. Then again, I just <3 opinionated people. :)

Aoibheann put it infinitely better than I, this is what I meant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Well no amount of good looks can save them from being a bitch. I can't say the opposite's true.

Besides, the more they reveal their horrible personality the easier it is to see their physical imperfections. In the same way, having a good personality makes it easier to simply miss the bad physical traits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I woulda said personality tbh. What I find attractive rather than looks themselves is someone's confidence.. like in terms of fmaous people, say, I find Dara Ó Briain really attractive because of the air of confidence about him, even though most of my friends/general people would be like 'nah, he's bet.'

..and they have to be funny. Humor > looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Both are definitely important. Personality just about wins out though.
    Although I reckon talent is also a factor. Talent = sexiness. ;)

Definitely. Talent is hot. I don't know why, it just is.
    Aoibheann wrote: »

Exactly. I never like saying "I only like intelligent people" because it sounds a bit elitist, but it's just about finding someone you can engage with.

Back to Personality V. Looks, at first meeting it's obviously looks, but after that I find it very hard to distinguish between the two. It sounds weird, but I consider face an aspect of personality. Expressions, Mannerisms etc.
    So yeah, it's all about the package! (no innuendo intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm gonna pretty much sum up Aoibheann's statement in a nice snappy statement (which reflects my own views):

You come for the looks, but you stay for the personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

..and they have to be funny. Humor > looks.

i agree hugely! I really like when a guy is funny :)
    and if they're a hurler it's a nice plus :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I'll be totally honest it'd be looks to start off but if they're fools I'll just stop trying to go any further.

Although when you find out that the person you're talking likes everything you like and has the same taste as you in music/films etc it's and incredible feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'll be totally honest it'd be looks to start off but if they're fools I'll just stop trying to go any further.

Although when you find out that the person you're talking likes everything you like and has the same taste as you in music/films etc it's and incredible feeling!
    Mostly people I meet like that are already ****ing going out with someone or I meet them at some occasion, only to not see them again for a few months. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Davidius wrote: »
    Well no amount of good looks can save them from being a bitch. I can't say the opposite's true.

Besides, the more they reveal their horrible personality the easier it is to see their physical imperfections. In the same way, having a good personality makes it easier to simply miss the bad physical traits.
    I agree with this. All of the girls I've proper like, it was mainly personality. If you like their personality, they appear more attractive to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Oneironaut

I find it's very hard to stay away from someone who's got a personality I like, whereas I usually feel a tad intimidated by good-looking girls- so if they're someone I can get along with it helps a lot.

Advertisement