Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why can't you watch any game you want on TV?

• 06-02-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

Call me naive, but how do Sky Sports have this kind of monopoly on games, whereby we have to watch Matt Le Tissier, Paul Merson and some other eejits watching a game?

So right now Man United are playing, 5-0 up against Portsmouth, and I can't see any of it on the TV. Instead, I have to watch a guy watch the game and tell me what's going on. Feels like I'm blind.

Surely this is anti-consumer? How can Sky sustain this position? I mean, is there any channel showing the game?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

markesmith wrote: »
    Call me naive, but how do Sky Sports have this kind of monopoly on games, whereby we have to watch Matt Le Tissier, Paul Merson and some other eejits watching a game?

So right now Man United are playing, 5-0 up against Portsmouth, and I can't see any of it on the TV. Instead, I have to watch a guy watch the game and tell me what's going on. Feels like I'm blind.

Surely this is anti-consumer? How can Sky sustain this position? I mean, is there any channel showing the game?
    Setanta Sports 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's on Setanta 1
    But they don't want to show every game on tv incase it leads to lower attendances at games which is huge to a lot of clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Setanta 1 are showing it. They can't show all the games live on tv as it'd discourage attendances I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

there should be a nfl like subscription..

https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/registerform

http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/nfl-and-yahoo-offer-game-pass-09080409/

you get access to every game, can watch up to 4 at a time all in hd. $25 a month or $250 a season.

i'd happily pay 30 a month for it and get rid of sky sports and Andy Gray and Jaime redknapp!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

"Live & exclusive Barclays Premier League..."

Guess we don't have the subscription. It's not like I was planning on going to the Rochdale game, sitting here in Ireland.

In reality it's a money-making scam. It's shocking to have to watch SSN, and watch these oafs describe the action at Motherwell.

Oh well, just another facet of the beautiful game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im going to invest in a foreign satellite sports package for next season

iv had enough of bloody sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Joke topic?

Guess we don't have the subscription. It's not like I was planning on going to the Rochdale game, sitting here in Ireland.

In reality it's a money-making scam. It's shocking to have to watch SSN, and watch these oafs describe the action at Motherwell.

If you want to see you're team so much, get your arse off the barstool and go over to the games like most of the Football League fans have to do, because they don't have the luxury of watching their team on TV, or even covered on SSN. Just because you want to see every game on TV, it doesn't mean the lowly clubs in England who rely on attendance revenue to stay above water should lose out.

I'm hoping that Setanta will be free soon. It's not worth the subscription price at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sky are not allowed show games on a Saturday at 3pm. No scam or anything involved. Here in Ireland we are heavily influenced by what they show in the UK. Maybe they could do something specific for the irish market but it's probably not financially worth it.

If we lived in the US or anywhere else we could probably see any match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Why can't you watch any game you want on TV?

I don't have any sports channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Because you can't. Thats the way of teh world.

Why can't I have a milion quid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No it's not a scam, it would destroy the atmosphere at so many games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

because sky can afford to pay the millions it costs the league and the teams to run

terrestrial cant, money is slowly killing the game

:mad:

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    If you want to see you're team so much, get your arse off the barstool and go over to the games like most of the Football League fans have to do, because they don't have the luxury of watching their team on TV, or even covered on SSN. Just because you want to see every game on TV, it doesn't mean the lowly clubs in England who rely on attendance revenue to stay above water should lose out.

*your, i thought you were a bit of a journo :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'm actually in favour of not showing too many games on tv because whenever I do scrounge enough money together to go to the Lane I get a great atmosphere.

SantryRed wrote: »
    No it's not a scam, it would destroy the atmosphere at so many games.

bollix, BBC used to show saturday first division 3pm games on tv before Sky and attendances were fine...

the good old days when RTE use to show the PL on a saturday (iirc)

good times

Headshot wrote: »

good times

Ah the pre Setanta days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aye, I believe its not allowed for any 3pm games to be shown in the UK. We get to see some of them alright on certain packages, but the English don't.

But ****it, if you could, you'd miss out on Jeff Stelling celebrating like a nutcase when Hartlepool get a last minute winner like they just did!

• Advertisement

good times
    15 games a season :)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Ah the pre Setanta days.

Nah, that was just 2 years ago.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Aye, I believe its not allowed for any 3pm games to be shown in the UK. We get to see some of them alright on certain packages, but the English don't.

But ****it, if you could, you'd miss out on Jeff Stelling celebrating like a nutcase when Hartlepool get a last minute equaliser like they just did!

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

bollix, BBC used to show saturday first division 3pm games on tv before Sky and attendances were fine...

No it's not, Remember the Stoke Fulham game over the Christmas period? Because that game was on the tv thousands of Stoke fans didn't go due to the snow, many of them would have had it not been on tv. Lots of Championship teams have lower attendances when they're on tv, this would also occur with the lower attendance teams in the Premier League such as Wigan and Bolton and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

im going to invest in a foreign satellite sports package for next season

How does that work? New dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Now I understand why people hate barstoolers...

enviro wrote: »
    How does that work? New dish?

there's a separate forumfor it

basically you'll need a 80cm dish

have a look at the forum above and they'll sort ya out

SantryRed wrote: »
    No it's not, Remember the Stoke Fulham game over the Christmas period? Because that game was on the tv thousands of Stoke fans didn't go due to the snow, many of them would have had it not been on tv. Lots of Championship teams have lower attendances when they're on tv, this would also occur with the lower attendance teams in the Premier League such as Wigan and Bolton and the likes.

one extreme situation. even if the game wasnt on tv attendances would have been down.

attendances were fine in the 80s when there was a game on every sat at 3 on BBC..

also the amount of money that could be made on a subscription service would be huge.

think about it 30 quid a month gets you all prem games and a selection of the lower leagues. sky has about 9m subscribers, say 5 million of them sign up thats 150m a month. say it costs 20m* a month to run it thats 130m amonth to divide up between the clubs.

again estimate one million a month each to the football league teams, and 3m a month to the prem teams, thats more money than everyone is making at the moment...

i dont believe it would even cost half that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

good times

Remember when they were only allowed show the match an hour after kick off? The temptation to check the score on teletext used be over whelming and ruined the Stevie Bruce 97th minute double against Sheff Weds forever for me.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That_Guy wrote: »
    FYP

cheers buddy, must pay more attention to what my fingers are typing. Mind of their own sometimes. But I forgive them cause they sex me up.

(tmi?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Money can be exchanged for goods and services...

good times

It did have a 15min (at least) delay though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

JPA wrote: »
    Nah, that was just 2 years ago.

RTE had saturday 3pms in the mid ninties aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No that never happened, never has the top division had live matches on any terrestial channel in the UK at 3pm on Sat.

The Beeb started showing live matches in the 80s I believe, but the game was either put on Fri evening or Sunday - never at peak time on a Saturday

I'm not sure if its still the case but I believe there was a time in France where you could watch whatever match you chose from the top division (for a fee of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

cash-wad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Call me naive

Your Naive, roughly 30 channels showed the game today.
    but how do Sky Sports have this kind of monopoly on games

They don't, see above
    So right now Man United are playing, 5-0 up against Portsmouth, and I can't see any of it on the TV.

I bet you don't even have a TV do you?

:D

Secretary: Hi, there is a Mark Smith on the phone, he sounds pissed.

Rupert Murdoch Put him through.

Boggles wrote: »
    Your Naive, roughly 30 channels showed the game today.

They don't, see above

I bet you don't even have a TV do you?

Secretary: Hi, there is a Mark Smith on the phone, he sounds pissed.

Rupert Murdoch Put him through.

In fairness, streams don't count and he's clearly talking about his own situation here in Ireland.

In fairness, streams don't count and he's clearly talking about his own situation here in Ireland.

I'm not talking about streams, I'd imagine the match was available on alot more than 30 streams.

The match today was on 24 television channels.

21 of them available in Ireland.

I'm not talking about streams, I'd imagine the match was available on alot more than 30 streams.

The match today was on 24 television channels.

21 of them available in Ireland.

On foreign satellite I presume?

On foreign satellite I presume?

All satellites are foreign buddy they are 100's of km's in the sky.

• Advertisement

All satellites are foreign buddy they are 100's of km's in the sky.

boggles I think JPA ment tv stations like sky italy etc

All satellites are foreign buddy they are 100 of km's in the sky.

:) Well I presume the OP meant why aren't all games just shown by sky or an equivalent, i.e an English based company, (I know sky aren't English).
    Like for example the champions league games.

anybody got a link of that site that shows ya what foreign satellite packages are showing each week ?

:) Well I presume the OP meant why aren't all games just shown by sky or an equivalent, i.e an English based company, (I know sky aren't English).
    Like for example the champions league games.

Sky UK would give their 2 nuts to show every game live.

They are not allowed broadcast games in the UK at 3pm, as it is considered that it would discourages fans attending games from all leagues.

anybody got a link of that site that shows ya what foreign satellite packages are showing each week ?

http://liveonsat.com/

that's the one

cheers mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

did you try google these ones

myp2p , iraqgoals , justin tv

might give you the info

Sky UK would give their 2 nuts to show every game live.

They are not allowed broadcast games in the UK at 3pm, as it is considered that it would discourages fans attending games from all leagues.

I'm sure that will change eventually. It wasn't that long ago that tv companies couldn't say what game was going to be on either of the highlight shows MOTD that evening or The Big Match the next day for fear of people not going to the game. The same was true of radio - they couldn't say what their live match was going to be until 10 minutes before. And it took decades for the FA to finally give in to showing live matches at all other than the FA Cup final.

did you try google these ones

myp2p , iraqgoals , justin tv

might give you the info

Streams are unreliable though. Quality and reliabilty.

Personally I can't watch a match in front of a computer or piped onto a flat screen.

Plenty legal options to recieve all 10 premier league games in a given weekend, problem is they cost money.

greendom wrote: »
    I'm sure that will change eventually.

If it does it will be expensive and by subscription.

If anything the change will come like spain, where individual teams will negotiate there own tv contract rights.
    It wasn't that long ago that tv companies couldn't say what game was going to be on either of the highlight shows MOTD that evening or The Big Match the next day for fear of people not going to the game.

It was hardly that hard to guess, if United were playing Arsenal that particular day, they were hardly going to show Bolton v Pompey.
    The same was true of radio - they couldn't say what their live match was going to be until 10 minutes before. And it took decades for the FA to finally give in to showing live matches at all other than the FA Cup final.

True when there was one sports radio station.

Now you have 100's of radio stations and 100's of sports channels, the goal posts have been well and truely moved and no one body can dictate was is shown or what isn't. rights have been sold.

• Advertisement
Advertisement