Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why can't you watch any game you want on TV?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Boggles wrote: »
    If it does it will be expensive and by subscription.

If anything the change will come like spain, where individual teams will negotiate there own tv contract rights.

It was hardly that hard to guess, if United were playing Arsenal that particular day, they were hardly going to show Bolton v Pompey.

True when there was one sports radio station.

Now you have 100's of radio stations and 100's of sports channels, the goal post have been well and truely moved and no longer dictated by any one body.

Absolutely, no argument from me on any of those points, I was just pointing out how things have changed and will continue to. Constant change is here to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If anything the change will come like spain, where individual teams will negotiate there own tv contract rights.

That is kind of misleading as only Barca and Real have seperate deals.

The other 18 teams do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

greendom wrote: »
    Absolutely, no argument from me on any of those points, I was just pointing out how things have changed and will continue to. Constant change is here to stay.

I have no doubt things will change, but anything that directly harms bums on seats will not be tolerated.

Which is ironic considering the mass sums clubs get paid by broadcasters showing their matches on telly.

Sky UK at the moment believe it or not have the fairest system in TV money distribution on the entire planet.

redout wrote: »
    That is kind of misleading as only Barca and Real have seperate deals.

The other 18 teams do not.

Well they are the 2 most popular teams in not just Spain but Worldwide.

I'm sure if it was viable for the other 18 teams they would be on it aswell.

Well they are the 2 most popular teams in not just Spain but Worldwide.

I'm sure if it was viable for the other 18 teams they would be on it aswell.

No doubt. They are rumoured to receive €135m each per season and that is just for league games! Just goes to show how much United could make if they had something similar.

No doubt. They are rumoured to receive €135m each per season and that is just for league games! Just goes to show how much United could make if they had something similar.

Yeah it's crazy cash.

I wouldn't change the premiership situation though. Sky do get alot of stick, but I think they are fair in the money distribution and if something like this happend in England, there would be alot more Pompeys.

Edit: I have no doubt in my mind the yanks of United have a booklet on going it alone on tv rights.

True when there was one sports radio station.

There weren't actually any - on a national level just one music station (Radio 2) that did a bit of sport, although there were local stations that broadcast live matches as well

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have no doubt things will change, but anything that directly harms bums on seats will not be tolerated.

Which is ironic considering the mass sums clubs get paid by broadcasters showing their matches on telly.

Sky UK at the moment believe it or not have the fairest system in TV money distribution on the entire planet.

It's not sky uk's system, it's the premier leagues collective bargaining system that is fair, or at least supports the less popular clubs by splitting things pretty evenly.

There weren't actually any - on a national level just one music station (Radio 2) that did a bit of sport, although there were local stations that broadcast live matches as well

Jesus how long are you going back?

BBC 5 live is there 15 years at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

JPA wrote: »
    If we lived in the US or anywhere else we could probably see any match.

A friend told me that his uncle in America can hit the red button (or its US equivalent) on his sports channel and see any Premier League game that is on. How good would that be? This may not be true though, can anyone confirm this?

copacetic wrote: »
    It's not sky uk's system, it's the premier leagues collective bargaining system that is fair, or at least supports the less popular clubs by splitting things pretty evenly.

Well yeah, like I said Sky would give testicles to show every game live, like they do in Italy

Jesus how long are you going back?

BBC 5 live is there 15 years at least.

When I was a young lad 30 years ago or more. Radio 2 used to hand over the airwaves to sport at 1:30 on Saturday after the shipping forecast. Went back to the Organist Entertains or some such at 6. And that was it apart from the odd sports news report or if there was a European or International match on a Wednesday.

flyswatter wrote: »
    A friend told me that his uncle in America can hit the red button (or its US equivalent) on his sports channel and see any Premier League game that is on. How good would that be? This may not be true though, can anyone confirm this?

Go to Italy and you can do the same.

Sky Italia has at least 8 if not 9 of the games a week.

Ireland could have all 10, but we are a broke. :(

Edit: You don't have to go Italy, Sky Italia sub will cost you 1300 approx a year though.

When I was a young lad 30 years ago or more. Radio 2 used to hand over the airwaves to sport at 1:30 on Saturday after the shipping forecast. Went back to the Organist Entertains or some such at 6. And that was it apart from the odd sports news report or if there was a European or International match on a Wednesday.

:D

Something to note though is that even though every game is available in Spain and Italy via tv their attendances are pitiful compared to the Premier League. Sure I am watching Real Madrid -v- Espanyol as I type this and they have 70,000 in attendance even though the Bernabeu can hold 80,000. In England you dont really see that sort of thing especially for the big clubs.

• Advertisement

Something to note though is that even though every game is available in Spain and Italy via tv their attendances are pitiful compared to the Premier League. Sure I am watching Real Madrid -v- Espanyol as I type this and they have 70,000 in attendance even though the Bernabeu can hold 80,000. In England you dont really see that sort of thing especially for the big clubs.

Thats because the big clubs have a willing travelling audience from countries close to the UK.

Regular attenders call them day trippers.

I call it reality to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Thats because the big clubs have a willing travelling audience from countries close to the UK.

Regular attenders call them day trippers.

I call it reality to be honest.

And spain has poor away support as well.

Advertisement