Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christian Thread Intrusion/Dragging threads off topic

• 06-02-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820393&page=2

Rather than drag yet another thread off topic, let me point out that on the very occasional times I have replied to a thread on the A&A forum, its been to ask questions and particapate in valid debate.

A number of posters on this forum seem to think that intruding on a Christian Forum thread simply to mock or ridicule should be perfectly acceptable, and that when someone objects to lack of constructive debate or discussion on a serious matter that you decide to take the hump on the same forum - well grow up guys! I'm not laughing at you for your lack of faith, but just because you dont understand someone elses is no reason to attack it.

Secretly I think you all yearn for the meaning in life that being a Christian brings, but because you dont believe it can be found in Christianity, you prefer to take a pop at everyone else.

As a Christian, my response is simply that anything that is not of God, is of the devil - whether you on the A&A forum recognise that or not!

A&A participation is, I am sure, perfectly welcome on the Christian Forum - and many responses from Atheists would leave the understanding of Christians about there own faith in the shade...but having a pop at someone's faith who is clearly going through a very emotional time after the loss of a young friend is simply beyond the pale!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

homer911 wrote: »
    Secretly I think you all yearn for the meaning in life that being a Christian brings, but because you dont believe it can be found in Christianity, you prefer to take a pop at everyone else.

You showed your true colours with this line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The sad thing about the internet is that with any thread created there is the always the risk of said "pops". Just look at the first 5 comments in that thread, both Fanny and me were in the process of writing detailed replies but in that time it was triple trolled.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great post, would read again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

A&A participation is, I am sure, perfectly welcome on the Christian Forum

No, it isn't. If I came onto the Christianity forum with the same pompous arrogance that you just have, PDN would be flinging cards with every colour in the rainbow at me.

Go away, you are boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Ah an entire post dedicated to me. How nice. At least I assume it's to me, and I assume it's because you got grumpy that I linked to your massively hypocritical post.

I was pointing out the irony. There was, as far as I can tell, one unpleasant troll on that thread. I've never seen him post in A&A. So you telling atheists to go away back to their own forum, when the actual atheists who post here were being perfectly reasonable was mightily irritating.

Add that in with the fact that you barge in here and tell us we secretly yearn for Christianity and no one tells YOU to feck off back to YOUR forum and the irony is immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

A number of posters on this forum seem to think that intruding on a Christian Forum thread simply to mock or ridicule should be perfectly acceptable, and that when someone objects to lack of constructive debate or discussion on a serious matter that you decide to take the hump on the same forum - well grow up guys!

So lets get this straight.

You are complaining about people going onto a forum to start posts or threads that do not contribute to the theme of the forum by coming on to a forum and starting a thread that does not contribute to the theme of the forum?

If you have a complaint about the behavior of a poster or group of posters take it up with the moderator of the forum.

Doing the very thing you are complaining about other people doing is just silly.

And oh yes ... In Before the Lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

You know what, some of us have tried it and its not all its cracked up to be. Trying to not sin all the time, which is actually absolutely impossible, and then feeling guilty when you fail. Its not fun.

Been there, bought the t-shirt. I understand people find a sense of community with a church, but I think people find just as much community at the local bingo meeting. And bingo gives us more insights into how the universe is constructed than christianity does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

iUseVi wrote: »
    And bingo gives us more insights into how the universe is constructed than christianity does.

Random chance? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Galvasean wrote: »
    Random chance? :pac:

Yeah, probabilities, statistics, how things seem like coincidences but are actually not etc. Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

A number of posters on this forum seem to think that intruding on a Christian Forum thread simply to mock or ridicule should be perfectly acceptable, and that when someone objects to lack of constructive debate or discussion on a serious matter that you decide to take the hump on the same forum - well grow up guys! I'm not laughing at you for your lack of faith, but just because you dont understand someone elses is no reason to attack it.

If you have a problem with the Christianity forum or how it is moderated, why not discuss it there or with the mods of Christianity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

All hail the mighty God of bingo - Gamblor!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Blank_

Remind me of ...

atheism,cartoon,comic,hypocrisy-6e69f6aa62face97de8afd5f418085ce_h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

You say that anything that does not come from God comes from the Devil.
    By God you of course mean you mean you the Judeo Christian God. So not only do you believe God exists,you know which of the thousands of Gods to be the one true God. Do you have any idea how arrogant that is?
    Also you believe every thing not related to this God is the embodiment of evil. Well it's nice to know there's plenty of sane,intelligent and rational Christians like you in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I feel vindicated by most of your responses - a mixture of childishness, mutual pats on the back and no effort at rational discussion or debate.

I come back to the point that the OP on the thread in question had recently lost a 14 yo friend to suicide - would the same juvenile responses have been said to the persons face?

Sure I'm not a mod, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't respond when I see a wrong being done. If you saw an old lady being mugged, would you let the mugger beat her to the ground just because you weren't a Garda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I feel vindicated by most of your responses - a mixture of childishness, mutual pats on the back and no effort at rational discussion or debate.

LOL. You came into the forum and said that we should all grow up, that we all secretly yearn for christianity to be true and that we're being coerced by the devil. Did you expect us to say that you've opened our eyes and made us give up our sinful ways?

Oh and there have been several efforts made at rational debate by the way. You might have missed them in your eagerness to insult us again while telling us how we shouldn't ridicule others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

If you saw an old lady being mugged, would you let the mugger beat her to the ground just because you weren't a Garda?

Is the old woman an atheist or a christian?

Myksyk wrote: »
    Is the old woman an atheist or a christian?

Better yet what kind of Christian is she?

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said “Stop! Don’t do it!” “Why shouldn’t I?” he said. “Well, there’s so much to live for!” “Like what?” “Well… are you religious?” He said yes. I said, “Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?” “Christian.” “Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant ? “Protestant.” “Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?” “Baptist” “Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?” “Baptist Church of God!” “Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?” “Reformed Baptist Church of God!” “Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?” He said, “Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!” I said, “Die, heretic scum”, and pushed him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I don't know if your reasoning is correct, but I do agree that a LOT of atheists love to take pot shots at people of faith. I'm agnostic myself but it really enrages me the way atheists attack people who are religious. By all means attack the Church itself - i'm the first to admit the Vatican is a f*cked up thing - but these people need to grow up and allow people to discuss their faith without being attacked.

I would also add that I rarely see atheists attack Islam, Judaism etc. It's almost always Christianity. I wonder why :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    these people need to grow up and allow people to discuss their faith without being attacked.

Oh I wholly agree, but are you sure you're not mistaking "attack" for "criticise"?
    I would also add that I rarely see atheists attack Islam, Judaism etc. It's almost always Christianity. I wonder why :rolleyes:

I do often come across as defending Islam. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

eth0_ wrote: »

Cos Christianity is the religion most of us have been immersed in since childhood? Or do you think we're all afraid of being Jihaded through the forums?

Incidentally Richard Dawkins, Chris Hitchens, Sam Harris and Bill Maher all come to mind as having heavily criticised Islam publicly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Well...let's see now...

This

Followed by...

As a Christian, my response is simply that anything that is not of God, is of the devil - whether you on the A&A forum recognise that or not!

but having a pop at someone's faith

pot_kettle_black.jpg

I feel vindicated by most of your responses

Shocking.

Well you have the advantage of what is known as a win win situation.

Take for example a anti-theist with a bee in his bonnet about Christianity.

He goes on the Christian forum and says that all Christians are irrational hypocrities who can't stand to face the reality of their religion.

His thread is met with annoyance from the Christians and is then locked by the moderator.

See!! says the disgruntled anti-theist, you all just proved my point
    :rolleyes:
    If you saw an old lady being mugged, would you let the mugger beat her to the ground just because you weren't a Garda?

Well no, but what you did is a bit like ignoring the Garda just down the road who can actually do something and instead taking an advertisement out in a local Muslim paper calling for a frank discussion about Muslims beating up old ladies.

You seem more interested in anti-atheist point scoring than genuine desire to help the OP of that post in the Christianity forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Secretly I think you all yearn for the meaning in life that being a Christian brings,

Not so secretly, seeing you're telling everyone...

You're confusing christianity with ethics here....

*Thinks* will start a new thread... "am I a saint? Yes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

How does one argue the merits of something that doesnt exist.
    The only way to fight religion is with ridicule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

To be honest with you lads, I was looking for opinions from both sides of the fence and not just christianity and i had debated with myself where to post it but ultimatley it went into christianity because it was mostly christian oriented but I do not mind what religion you come from in responding, i wasnt offended by any reply so far though.

lostboy wrote: »
    To be honest with you lads, I was looking for opinions from both sides of the fence and not just christianity and i had debated with myself where to post it but ultimatley it went into christianity because it was mostly christian oriented but I do not mind what religion you come from in responding, i wasnt offended by any reply so far though.

Yeah, but by posting here you are somewhat limiting the opinions of A&A members to the confines of the Christianity Forum Charter. I'd highly recommend that you post a separate thread in A&A.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

I see, Well being an agnostic person myself i did not take any sort of offence to responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

Dave! wrote: »
    Cos Christianity is the religion most of us have been immersed in since childhood? Or do you think we're all afraid of being Jihaded through the forums?

Incidentally Richard Dawkins, Chris Hitchens, Sam Harris and Bill Maher all come to mind as having heavily criticised Islam publicly

It's also the religion Irish people have most difficulty trying to live their lives free from. I'd imagine if 92% of schools here were allowed to discriminate in favour of muslim teachers and students or if sharia law was introduced it might be a different story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Antbert wrote: »
    There was, as far as I can tell, one unpleasant troll on that thread. I've never seen him post in A&A. So you telling atheists to go away back to their own forum, when the actual atheists who post here were being perfectly reasonable was mightily irritating.
    This is the pertinent point here.

homer911, your beef is with one or two posters who've never even posted here so your generalisations about this forum's users are both unwarranted and unwelcome.

lostboy wrote: »
    I see, Well being an agnostic person myself i did not take any sort of offence to responses.

You would make a terrible Christian :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I rest my case - your replies say it all

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

You rest your case?!

Our replies say it all?! All what? Out of interest, could you tell me who specifically annoyed you on that other thread? Because as I said, and as Dades drew attention to, I'm quite sure it was no one who frequents this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm not laughing at you for your lack of faith, but just because you dont understand someone elses is no reason to attack it.

You can laugh at my lack of faith all you want, i laugh at the fact you believe in a book that tries to tell us the two original humans were tricked by a talking snake, and that a guy fit two of every species of creature on earth, even though we're still discovering new ones, onto one boat because a voice told him to. I'll sleep a lot sounder knowing I dont have to live my life according to lies, contradictions and fairytales in order to appease the invisible boogeyman who lives in the sky.

thanks for your time though;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No, it isn't. If I came onto the Christianity forum with the same pompous arrogance that you just have, PDN would be flinging cards with every colour in the rainbow at me.

Go away, you are boring.

Indeed, seems making jokes about other religions over there is fine, see the JW thread for a perfect example, but challenge/discuss anything that might raise questions among the blissfully deluded and its red cards a go go

What exactly was your case ... ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No more talk of the moderation over yonder, people, or this thread will have to be closed.

Advertisement