Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Computer

• 06-02-2010 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi

I am getting rid of an old PC. I have saved all the files I want and deleted all my documents, pictures, music etc.

What else should I do to clean it all down before disposing of?

I was hoping to pass it on to a charity or something but would like to ensure that I have not left any passwords or files that can be traced on it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Format the HDD. personally i would just take out the HDD and keep it and/or destroy it. even after a format, in the right hands, ALL the data can be recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Camara

The Digital Hub, 10-13 Thomas Street,
    Dublin 8,, Co. Dublin
    01 652 2665
    Get directions - Is this accurate?This address, phone number, map or business info is not accurate. Confirm CancelThank you for the feedback.

Open Tue-Wed,Fri 9am-5pm; Thu 9am-9pm; Sat 11am-4pm
    More information »

These guys should take it off you. They will format the drive so no personal info will be left on it. Then they will fix it up, stick linux on it and sent it to a school
    in africa

If you want to format hard drive you can use :

http://www.dban.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭lly

Thanks for the replies

I am not sure how to remove the HD so I think I will take it in to Camara. Do you know if they take the monitor, keyboard etc too?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

tis your only man to be sure to be sure ;)

lump_hammer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

lly wrote: »
    I am not sure how to remove the HD so I think I will take it in to Camara. Do you know if they take the monitor, keyboard etc too?

From the site:
    We accept all computers, 15″-17″ monitors, mice, keyboards, mobile phones, printers, inkjet cartridges though please do not give unusable/broken items as we have to pay to dispose of them. Our rule of thumb is, if it switches on, we can use it for parts or it will go to a school.

As far as I know screen size is measured diagonally and not across/down so if you're not sure the size you can just check it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Removing a hard drive isn't very difficult. All you need is a screw driver.

I'd at least try formatting/wiping, you've nothing to lose by trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

my college mate volunteers in camara, they are quite thourough in cleaning information off it so just drop it in to them and theyll use it for schools in africa

Advertisement