Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good, reliable external hard-drives

• 06-02-2010 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭

Hey, looking for a new external hard-drive as I've pretty much filled my laptop and my old 250GB external.

I bought a Seagate 1.5TB a few weeks back and it started failing within a couple of days, got a refund and bought a (considerably more expensive) 2TB Hitachi one that wouldn't turn on at all (and when it did only for a few seconds).

Has anyone else here recently bought an eternal hard-drive with success and have any recommendations?
    I'd be hoping for at least 1TB, more is better but the price seems to go up fairly steep after that so maybe I'll have to settle :P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I had problems with seagate and iomega drives the only externals that i've found to be reliable are the western digital, but they are a little bit more pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

+1 for western digital. have a 1TB for almost 2 years, still going strong. wasn't that dear - only €90 in PC world but that was 2 years ago. most i see now in shops are €120 for 1/1.5TB. try looking online for a WD one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I bought a WD about 6 months back, but that died after about 5weeks so I got it replaced and upgraded to a larger Seagate Freeagent. Never had any problems, but I dont move them, which I think is key. The networked backup(WD MyWorldBook) sits on a shelf inside and the Seagate sits beside my monitor. I've seen quite a few posts where people seem to move these kind of drives around, which isnt what they're really intended for. If thats what you're doing get a "passport" style one. The Iomega in peats seems ok, strong metal case(friend uses one).

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I have a Lacie (Porsche Design) 500GB, 750GB

And the Neil Poulton (Piano Black) 2TB. Had them for about 4, 3 and 1 year. (Touch Wood) I've never had any trouble out of them, use them all the time.

The 2TB cost me €225 inc VAT & Delivery straight from the Lacie website. Looks slick next to my PS3. Use it to store media. Had RAID option on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Never had any problems, but I dont move them, which I think is key. The networked backup(WD MyWorldBook) sits on a shelf inside and the Seagate sits beside my monitor. I've seen quite a few posts where people seem to move these kind of drives around, which isnt what they're really intended for. If thats what you're doing get a "passport" style one.

The problem really is that I'm in DCU at the moment so I tend to go back and forward between Dublin and Wexford for any holidays (and a lot of weekends), so I need to move it around a good bit. And the passport style ones don't seem to have that much storage space (Haven't seen one above 500GB which I can see myself getting through quickly enough).
    Although I could always leave the drive in Dublin when I go home and just copying over to my laptop what I think I'll use before going home, that way I'd only really be moving it around for any particularly long breaks.

That said, the two I got recently that broke hadn't been moved around at all, so that wasn't the problem.

EDIT: Also thanks for the replies, I'll consider a Western Digital one, I actually was going for one in PC World but they were out of stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I think Buffalo do a 1TB mini drive which is 2 500GB 2 1/2" drives together, so its portable, but I have a feeling you would be paying mucho bucks for it!

Google it and see, I had a quick look, but couldn't find it, but I remember reading about it on Engadget ages ago.

If you want portability, you could try looking for a rugged one that will withstand a bit of rough and tumble! Again, Google is your friend! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=573611
    WD My Passport™ Essential SE 750GB 2,5", USB 2.0, Black

I think you need to think about what you are moving around. I suspect all you need is a data store in both locations and only move the differences around. Which is a lot less data.

The mobile 2.5 drives might be smaller but they run cooler and are designed to be moved around and thus are more robust. They are dsigned for mobile situations, like laptops. My 500GB 2.5 external drive runs far cooler than my 3.5 external.

Likewise is doesn't matter if a drive fails (in terms of data) if you have a backup. So instead of worrying about the relibility of the drive, just have more copies on other drives. I found my last few 3.5 drives ran quite hot. A few of them failed very quickly. I've had much better reliablily with my 2.5 drives. I think 3.5 drives kinda need some airflow, but most of the externals don't have any. I was considering moving to a 5.25 enclosure with a fan, but then its hardly portable, and not if you have a couple of them. Personally all the AC cables are a problem, so I moved to 2.5 drives.

I split my data into movies on to large drives, then other data like photos, music, files on to smaller drives. I also clean out all the clutter every so often. Also you can't replace your photos,or work, but you can music and movies. So backups should reflect that priority.

Also you might consider online storage if you have a decent broadband connection.

Advertisement