Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Ratings??

Options
  • 06-02-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I got 4 new tyres for my car last month. I went to get a 4 wheel aliment done yesterday (at fast fit) and I was informed that I have the wrong tyres on the car. The size is correct but my speed rating is wrong. I drive a diesel Honda accord and apparently the tyres on the car now is a V rating where it should be a Y rating. I can't find any proof of this on the net for this car. Just wondering what do you think I should do. Should I just leave it or go back to the shop where I get the tyres installed and demand the correct ones?

Any thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

V Rating is good up to 150mph/240kmph
    Y Rating is good up to 186mph/300kmph

Unless you see yourself exceeding 150mph on a regular basis I wouldn't be too worried.

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/speedrating

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mrcasio

Thats what I was thinking but I was told that some insurance companies might not cover because its not the correct tyre for the car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Check the owners handbook if you have one, or if you're really concerned ask a Honda dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

sounds like fast fit lookin for a sale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If it they aren't the manufacturer's recommended ratings, in the case of an insurance claim they could potentially be really pedantic and say the tyres fitted are not suitable for the car.

Some tyre manufacturer websites (e.g. Bridgestone) have a search function for what tyres are suitable for your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think the insurers are more likely to look at load rating. The tyres are rated to 150mph so imo thats not an issue. If the tyres have the correct load rating, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭sundodger5

both load and speed rating are related, same load code highter speed rating = stronger tyre.
    you should always stick to what came out of the factory.
    look at it this way when honda buy in enough tyres for 10,000 cars and they could save a fiver on using a W rated instead of a Y they would.
    so why dont they?

Advertisement