Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching advice?

• 06-02-2010 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi all! I'm currently looking into teaching piano atm and just have a few questions! I completed my Senior Cert two years ago (March 08), currently working towards a diploma and I've been told by several people that I should definitely look into teaching to earn a few extra each week! I would absolutely love to as piano is a big passion of mine, my only reservation however is that I've only just turned 16! I'm great with kids etc, but I feel that parents/perspective clients might be slightly put off by my age? Do you share this view or would you say my age is irrelevant? Also being only 16, would it be fair to charge less than usual rates by piano teachers (seems to me 15 per half hour is the norm)? Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cliona1

Hi Qwerty2,

About 20 years ago (yikes!) when I was 17 I taught for a couple of years. I just had 3 pupils.

I don't remember what I charged but it would have been less than the usual rate.

I wasn't looking to have lots of pupils and the families of the kids I was teaching didn't seem to be put off by my age.

Must say I really enjoyed it and am considering doing it again in a couple of years.

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

i doubt it would tbh if your good at what you do and you charge that wee bit less than other people a lot of parents would be more than happy to have you teach their children..

i wouldn't have any problem anyways it is a recession after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

If you are qualified to teach then there should be no issues, I run a school with over 70 piano students. All the teachers here have to have Grade 8 or higher (Diploma, Degree etc).

I have a very old mate of mine who taught at the weekends throughout here leaving cert. As long as you state you qualifications you should be able to teach, your most likley to get new starters.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 endadempsey

You'd be amazed the amount of parents that just want their kids to learn piano without doing the exams.

I've grade 8 on the piano, and started teaching lately, and more often than not when I was contacted about lessons, parents actually went out of their way to tell me that they just wanted the kids to learn for their own enjoyment, especially if they were younger..

For people that were more serious about it, I explained to parents that I couldn't put the kids through exams as I only had grade 8 and needed diploma to do that, so the arrangement we came to was that I'd teach them the basics, and some basic sightreading and scales, so that when they went to start grades officially they'd have a head start.

Also, i'm 22, and my age hasn't been a hinderance

Advertisement