Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Link Modules?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 7:31pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know what it is. I see a lot of people here saying that they are doing it.

I'm not meaning to insult anybody, but I had a look on examinations.ie and it looks like a fairly easy exam (of course it mightn't be - I don't mean to insult anybody).

It says Leaving Cert Vocational Program but why is it not in Leaving Cert Applied, rather than the 'actual' LC (I feel like I'm being rude, sorry!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_Certificate_Vocational_Programme

The Exam is common level I think and I think grading works the same way as TY (Pass,Merit,Distinction)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

^ That's exactly how it works. The points go :
    70 -distinction
    50 - merit
    30- pass.

Also you have to make a portfolio as well as the exam. It's a simple exam but it's marked Very hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

LCVP is an addition to the regular LC rather than a replacement of it.
    A handy extra subject if you're not the most academic of people - a bit of effort on the portfolio throughout the LC cycle can get you 70 points without much 'hard study' at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Not insulting at all, it is very easy :D. The only hard part of it is to not underestimate the written exam and do a bit of study for it"
    They pretty much ask for perfection for the portfolio but it's manageable if your teacher corrects it and you put some effort into it. I'm "studying" it right now for my Mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

I decided not to do it, its 70 points maximum, and just caus its easy doesnt mean everyone gets 70 points. And technically the time you spend at this takes away from the time you spend at your 100 points subjects, and you possibly might not do as well as otherwise? Its a strange one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

As said, it's really good if you're doing 7 subjects and one's ordinary level.
    Also I really don't think that much time is needed to study for it. If you write up the portfolio quickly and while it's still fresh in your head it's fine.

The exam is quite easy with the exception of the Audio Visual but our mock this year was quite straightforward and easily answered with questions like 'what year did x start in?'. Things like that. If you do business it can tie in with that, even JC business will get you straight through. But be warned, people who do business don't necessarily do better for example I don't do any business subjects and I'm still ahead of half the class. Also I don't know in anyone else's school but we write up the portfolio during the class and most people end up not bothering because they're stuck on facebook or other various sites then come may they all start panicing because they couldn't be bothered to write up a C.V in 5th year (I've seen it happen!) Really just write it up, save it 10 times so you Can't ever possibly lose it and correct it. Also if you go on the field study Take LOTS and LOTS of notes.

The best study for the exam is literally just look over the marking schemes. I did that and I'm quite confident I'll get a distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Rossie17 wrote: »
    I decided not to do it, its 70 points maximum, and just caus its easy doesnt mean everyone gets 70 points. And technically the time you spend at this takes away from the time you spend at your 100 points subjects, and you possibly might not do as well as otherwise? Its a strange one.

Which is why it's good for students who may be doing a few ordinary level subjects, or may not be capable of getting over 70 points in a higher level exam. It's an added boost for them.

For students who are doing all/mostly honours and capable of getting high grades in them then it isn't usually worth their while doing LCVP.

Also you need to have certain subject combinations to be able to do LCVP. The majority of students qualify but the odd who can't do it at all because of their chosen subject combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

I do it, basically because the school told us we have to!
    But anyway I kept it on because I thought it might be worth the points. Also it doesn't clash with the main LC exams as it is on in April. The portfolio has to be perfect and your exam has to be perfect for the 70 points but most people get the 50 points so that is what I expect to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I agree about doing the portfolio early, it makes LCVP so easy if you do. I pretty much spent the last 5 weeks in class listening to the teacher "motivating" half the class to finish their portfolio.

I personally didn't want to do it since I don't plan to get lower than 70 points in any subject but I was forced by my school... Now that I finished my portfolio, I might as well put some effort in getting that distinction in case I totally mess up in one of my exams. Also, what's the overall % needed for distinction ? 80-100?

Orlaladuck, I looked at the marking schemes but it's so damn vague sometimes. My textbook is useless at teaching how to write "Minutes" and the marking scheme just lists what needs to be on it. So can someone please pm me/post an example of a good one please?

Advertisement