Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best marinade for chicken pieces?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Free range chicken thighs are dirt cheap at the mo. so very handy on a tight budget. I've done curry etc. but my lot love them simply roasted with a marinade.

The one I do atm is sunflower oil, coarse sea salt, ground pepper and a nice good dash of Worcester (sp?) sauce. Loverly.

Any suggestions for some diff. marinades to vary it a bit. Just got some garlic oil handy for when we run out of garlic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I use a Roast Beef Marinade on Chicken fillets all the time and it's delicious.

I get the Marinade in the Butchers, but the recipe for it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

This is really tasty, I usually chuck in some veg as well

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3233/succulent-honey-and-lemon-chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Mine's a little bit like the roast beef marinade, but it's just mustard and soy sauce. I usually use that for grilling chicken breasts. It'd probably be fine for roasting, but could leave quite a mess in the dish!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Half a bottle of plum sauce
    A tablespoon of honey
    A heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
    A tablespoon of soy sauce
    A teaspoon of sunflower oil.

Sticky and delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Teriyaki, tandoori.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Jerk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

-Orlaith- wrote: »
    I use a Roast Beef Marinade on Chicken fillets all the time and it's delicious.

I get the Marinade in the Butchers, but the recipe for it is here.

Thanks for the BIG Oven link. Site looks good. Getting fatter by the minute with all this good food!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Never did get to like chicken thighs (mom was not an adventerous cook by anyone's definition of the word) but there's an indian marinade that works really nicely with them, it's basicly yoghurt with garlic, cumin, paprika, coriander and ginger. Into that for 24-48 hours and then onto the grill until done. Quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

i normally use real butter, garlic , salt,black pepper and schwarz "mixed herbs". I dont use to much butter , just enough to flavour and cook the chicken is some olive oil. I brown the chicken and sometimes add in broccoli,onion, mushroom or whatever is left in fridge and add a little more olive oil and cook the veg with it. Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for the BIG Oven link. Site looks good. Getting fatter by the minute with all this good food!!!!:eek:
    Your welcome.

There are some delicious (at least they look delicious) meals on there, including this, this and this. Mmm.:o:D

I'll hopefully get a chance to try and make the first and last item next weekend, depends if we have family members coming over though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Clementine

Smoked paprika, turmeric, chilli flakes, sea salt, pepper, bashed garlic and olive oil. Yum.

Or just olive oil, lemon, thyme and garlic. Nice and fresh tasting.

Or go Indian with some yogurt, garam masala, garlic and chilli flakes.

So many possibilities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jackie_brown

try this ultra simple marinade I always use for a quickie:

soy sauce
    garlic powder (i only use this powder specifically for this quickie marinade when im not bothered to mince the garlic)
    ground white pepper

adjust the salt to your liking, but I usually omit mine as the soy sauce can be quite salty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Garlic, oil and Vegemite. Trust me.

The recipe is on the Vegemite jar. Superquinn should have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are you serious about the Vegimite? Bought it one time to try and ewww the honk from it. Does the flavour change in cooking..curious about it now will have to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Are you serious about the Vegimite? Bought it one time to try and ewww the honk from it. Does the flavour change in cooking..curious about it now will have to try it.
    I'm very serious about Vegemite. It does reek a bit, and when you're putting it on bread you only want the merest smear; a bit the size of you little fingernail is more than enough for a slice of bread. It's fantastic on toast when you're feeling a bit delicate.

I always make Vegemite chicken for barbecues, and it goes down a treat. I guess that the yeasty flavour mellows in the cooking, but you're still not going to be using tons of it.

Here's the recipe;
    • 4 chicken fillets (or whatever pieces you like)
    • Marinade:
    • 1 spring onion, finely chopped
    • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
    • 1 clove garlic, crushed
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 2 teaspoons sherry
    • 2 tablespoons VEGEMITE

Mix everything together, marinade overnight, bung in the oven at 200C until done. Enjoy!

Advertisement