Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape Hibernia - August 22 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cipo wrote: »
    Sign on on morning of event is very difficult as a lot of people would not sign on on the Saturday if this option os available!

Therefore in theory you could 1800 people trying to reg on Sunday am!! And that's just ridiculous..

Seemed to work just fine for the Wicklow 200 with a similar if not larger bunch of participants. Only sayin'....

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

^^^
    what time does wickla 200 start???
    Start time restrictions to considered???

From memory you could start between 6am to 8am, I got there about 6:30am. Walked up to the desk, got the card swiped, grabbed some bars and gels and was off. There were a number of tables processing people, you picked your table based on race number. Queuing time was very short when I was there, with queues moving very fast. Swipe card, race number, and other details were all posted out well in advance which pretty much replaced what is happening on Saturday in Ennis. Theortically, they could have posted everything you need for the Etape, paticularly with electronic tagging.

If it was a serious race, I could understand registering the day before to some extent, but this is supposed to be a sportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I think the reason for registering the day before is to get the timing chip which has to be installed on the bike. Its very simple as it goes on with the wheel skewer.

In Scotland we all went off in minute or 30sec intervals, which meant we were all quick to get off which then minimises the amount of time each stretch of road has to be closed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

I think the difference is closed roads as opposed to open roads of W200!!

Open start times spreads competitors coming to register; closed / timed starts causes more issues, needs more control etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

PJ Gallagher has had to admit defeat and will not be riding with us.

It seems a dirty Ould Wan tried to grap his Dangle Bits and he hurt his knee while executing a quick getaway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

I don't think any road will be closed for a full 5 hours from 8-1pm but agree it is some disruption.

cipo wrote: »
    the road closures are all staged and not the whole route for 5 / 6 hours as some have stated!!

What I said was "some of the access roads to the Cliffs of Moher are closed from between 8 and 1" and that is true.

The access roads from the Galway side are split into 3 different sections and these 3 different sections are closed between 8 and 1 in total. I never said any one road will be closed for 5 hours.

Or even 6 hours as some have stated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Check out the names of the first 4 associate sponsors of the event. Then write a letter of criticism to each of them outlining any complaints. I doubt anything to do with skyride event was planned without their input. Maybe so many local quangos got their fingers in the pie that the 'blow ins' had to arrange it the way it is? Maybe the prior day registration was thrown in to throw some captive business to local hospitality in return for something? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not doing this event myself, thought about it but the cost was too high esp. when I had to travel down the day before.

However, I think that those who did sign up, and those who didn't, should at least give the event the chance to run before criticising it. So many posters complaininig about how bad things might be, do the damn thing and if things turn out as bad as you think, well then don't do it again and complain.

With regards to day before registration, is this not normal for many big events, I know it is the case for La Marmotte, probably Etape etc.

Unless you leave very close by (in which case day before reg isn't really an issue) you really have to travel down the day before anyway. I would be coming from Dublin so I would have to be there the day before as it is not feasable to travel down on the morning. I am sure the organisers have quite rightly decided that the morning of the event will be hectic enough without having to worry about people forgetting their cards, wanting to change names etc. Get that all sorted the day before so the morning can be concentrated on the event itself.

As said in an earlier post, if you are signed up do the event I am sure that you will have fun, but whatever happens, happens. If you aren't signed up, then just sit back and wait for the reports. If it goes smoothly then look forward to joining next year, if not then be happy that you saved the time and money.

At the end of the day, someone has decided (profit being a consideration of course but money talks) to offer an additional event on the calender. They have arranged for closed roads which to my knowledge is a first in Ireland for this type of event, so rather than try to point out all the problems how about we give it a chance and hope that if things are perfect they will improve them and makes this event an annual one.

I for one welcome this event and thank the organisers for taking on what appears to be the thankless task of trying to please people. From some of the comments on this site you would question why they would bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think this event will be great fun, but desperately bad value for money when the travelling costs etc. are added.

I think the timing has more to do with the British August Bank Holiday than finding a convenient weekend for cyclists in Ireland.

I also think, the day-before-registration is a ploy to get people to spend some time in the area - fair enough, but then to add insult to injury all the hotel prices get jacked up, and the "cyclist special rate" is more expensive than the rate generally available.

On that last point I stand to be corrected but I'd be willing to bet none of the hotels are being espcially accommodating to participants by way of, for example, providing secure bike storage, a "pasta party" and an early brekkie - "Irish hotels. Putting the spit in hospitality":)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Jawgap wrote: »
    I think the timing has more to do with the British August Bank Holiday than finding a convenient weekend for cyclists in Ireland.

Bank holiday over there isn't until the weekend after i.e. 30th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

penexpers wrote: »

Can't say about Britain it is a bank holiday in the final Monday of August each year in the North. I can't imagine it is any different.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    From some of the comments on this site you would question why they would bother.

Why, from the goodness of their hearts obviously, why else? ;)

Sarcasm aside, just finished a last training spin this morning, and really looking forward to the event. Hope everyone has a blast on the day; pretty sure I will.
    I for one welcome this event and thank the organisers for taking on what appears to be the thankless task of trying to please people.

Yep, thanks guys. Constructive criticism Bickering aside, I'm sure it'll be a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Here's the current forecast from Accuweather.

Southerly winds at 17km/h, gusting to 40km/h, with a couple of showers expected. Sounds like perfect Clare weather to me! Bring it on.
    Thankfully the UV index is moderate!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Jawgap wrote: »
    I think this event will be great fun, but desperately bad value for money when the travelling costs etc. are added.

I also think, the day-before-registration is a ploy to get people to spend some time in the area - fair enough, but then to add insult to injury all the hotel prices get jacked up, and the "cyclist special rate" is more expensive than the rate generally available.

On that last point I stand to be corrected but I'd be willing to bet none of the hotels are being espcially accommodating to participants by way of, for example, providing secure bike storage, a "pasta party" and an early brekkie - "Irish hotels. Putting the spit in hospitality":)

Luckily I'm staying with friends who live in ennis but I have heard from them that the hotels have put prices up.
    Last year when I did the ROK the hotel we were in in killarney had secure storage for bikes and even let you put them in your rooms if you preferred, they had early breakfast from 5.30 for the cyclists and even offered us food to bring with us. They even gave us late check-out so we could shower etc after the event. Now that's the way hospitality should be. That hotel will definitely get my business the next time I'm down there.

Hopefully some of the hotels in Clare are doing the same and not all horror stories.
    Have to say I'm really looking forward to this even though my chest is still recovering from the orwell "marmotte" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

penexpers wrote: »

I stand corrected. The bank holiday in the UK is not this weekend but the following one.
    lafors wrote: »
    Luckily I'm staying with friends who live in ennis but I have heard from them that the hotels have put prices up.
    Last year when I did the ROK the hotel we were in in killarney had secure storage for bikes and even let you put them in your rooms if you preferred, they had early breakfast from 5.30 for the cyclists and even offered us food to bring with us. They even gave us late check-out so we could shower etc after the event. Now that's the way hospitality should be. That hotel will definitely get my business the next time I'm down there.

Hopefully some of the hotels in Clare are doing the same and not all horror stories.
    Have to say I'm really looking forward to this even though my chest is still recovering from the orwell "marmotte" ;)

Similar experience in Wales at a rugby tournament a few years back. Goodie bags in the room (courtesy of the hotel) with muscle rub, energy drinks and a few other bits and pieces. They also organised to have all the kits washed and dried each night, set up a place for boots to be washed and laid on the largest buffets I've ever seen exclusively for players for each meal and - naturally enough - left the bar open until all hours.

We were leaving at stupid o'clock in the morning to catch a ferry and we got on the bus to find they provided a packed breakfast for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Signal rabbit
    Esroh
    Lumen
    Lafors
    buzzingnoise
    penexpers
    Ashleey
    anoble66
    Mellon
    Jawgap
    Twin-go
    moby2101
    FrankGrimes + 3
    smacl + 1
    garminguy
    theotherone
    lescol

Have been cleared to go, should be an interesting day after being off the bike for the past 8 weeks. Will need a get fit quick plan between now and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The start times are out (PDF).

Great to see that they've put the best dressed rider up front. :D

Signal rabbit
    Esroh
    Lumen - Wave A
    Lafors
    buzzingnoise
    penexpers
    Ashleey
    anoble66
    Mellon
    Jawgap
    Twin-go
    moby2101
    FrankGrimes + 3
    smacl + 1
    garminguy
    theotherone
    lescol

Lumen wrote: »
    The start times are out (PDF).

cough*6 days ago*cough ;)
    6 days ago smacl said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Signal rabbit
    Esroh - Wave C (as requested);)
    Lumen - Wave A
    Lafors
    buzzingnoise
    penexpers
    Ashleey
    anoble66
    Mellon
    Jawgap
    Twin-go
    moby2101
    FrankGrimes + 3
    smacl + 1
    garminguy
    theotherone
    lescol

• Advertisement

Just don't any of you wave a lads hold up us in wave f

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Signal rabbit
    Esroh - Wave C (as requested)wink.gif
    Lumen - Wave A
    Lafors
    buzzingnoise
    penexpers
    Ashleey
    anoble66
    Mellon
    Jawgap
    Twin-go
    moby2101
    FrankGrimes + 3
    smacl + 1
    garminguy
    theotherone
    lescol
    SHG101

Probably a dumb thing to do, but I'm doing this as my first ever long distance cycle. Longest I've done previously is about 50k (in training). Did the Hell of the West triathlon 46k in about 90 mins.

Wife might be picking me up around Milltown-Malbay....

Only got my super-cool carbon fibre road bike during the week, so will register on Saturday. My hope is that the bike, plus the fact that it's a group ride and I will be going 20% slower (at least? more?) than TT pace, means I might survive.

Any tips for these long distance cycles? Planning on bringing 2x750ml bottles of High-5, a few energy bars, phone to ring the wife.

What else? Something waterproof in cases it pours rain?

shg101 wrote: »
    Any tips for these long distance cycles? Planning on bringing 2x750ml bottles of High-5, a few energy bars, phone to ring the wife.

What else? Something waterproof in cases it pours rain?

If there's any chance of rain, and it's not blisteringly hot, I'll be wearing a gilet. If I didn't have that, I'd stick a folded up showerproof jacket in the jersey pocket.

If it turns out to be a complete hammerfest you might want to open the energy bars in advance so that you aren't fussing around with them whilst trying to hold onto a wheel.

Don't worry about the pace. With 1500 participants they'll always be someone to wheelsuck.

Apart from that, the usual advice about fast group riding applies. Easy on the brakes, don't half-wheel, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

shg101 wrote: »
    Any tips for these long distance cycles?

Only one ........................... enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Looking forward to this now. Managed to break my FD a couple of days ago so waiting on new one to arrive. Might just do it in my 39 ring though.

Can't believe they used my email address to send me "challenger world" magazine, got an email this morning. Its part of the "IMG Sports Technology Group Subscription system"

I hate it when companies do this crap, I always tick the no marketing box :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Lumen wrote: »
    If there's any chance of rain, and it's not blisteringly hot, I'll be wearing a gilet. If I didn't have that, I'd stick a folded up showerproof jacket in the jersey pocket.

If it turns out to be a complete hammerfest you might want to open the energy bars in advance so that you aren't fussing around with them whilst trying to hold onto a wheel.

Don't worry about the pace. With 1500 participants they'll always be someone to wheelsuck.

Apart from that, the usual advice about fast group riding applies. Easy on the brakes, don't half-wheel, etc.

Thanks for this.

I had to google both 'Gilet' and 'Half Wheel'!

Me too. I unsubscribed straight away but then you run the risk of confirming your email to spammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Was just wondering - would the lead group be likely to stop at any food point or will they just keep on going? Not that I expect to be with them that long, but interested to know.

With the stories of potentially being only energy gels at the foodstops, I'll be throwing a sambo or two into my jersey pockets to keep me going.

• Advertisement

Was just wondering - would the lead group be likely to stop at any food point or will they just keep on going? Not that I expect to be with them that long, but interested to know.

With the stories of potentially being only energy gels at the foodstops, I'll be throwing a sambo or two into my jersey pockets to keep me going.

I don't know about the hares, but this tortoise is going equipped for non-stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement