Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola Milestone Vs HTC Hero

Options
  • 06-02-2010 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Which dyou think i should get? I am planning on getting one of these phones on Meteor Bill Pay Lite with a data package.

I looked through the massive HTC hero thread and im seriously thinking of getting one. Then I saw on expansys that the Milestone would be 75€ dearer. And i don't know which i should get.

I was also thinking about rooting the phone etc.

Any advice?

Motorola Milestone Vs HTC Hero 17 votes

Milestone
    0% 0 votes
    Hero
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Both are decent phones but go for the milestone(droid).

Higher resolution with a resolution of 480 x 854. Sharper screen, both software and hardware keyboard (nice to have the choice). Larger screen also.

Records Video at 24fps and at a res at 720x480 (that's DVD resolution).

Android 2.0 as default.

Faster processor.

The HTC Hero is a good Android phone, you won't be disappointed. But for the sake of €75 the milestone is quite an upgrade. It just depends if you think the reasons above are worth 75 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Thanks for the info. Is the rooting procedure the same for the Milestone as it is for the HTC hero? What benefits does it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

delta214 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Is the rooting procedure the same for the Milestone as it is for the HTC hero? What benefits does it have?

Installing root on both phones is very simple. I have the milestone currently. Love it. Only drawback is that for the moment, it's impossible to install custom Roms as Motorola do not allow it.
    The Hero has a now, 3 year old processor. The milestone is a beast compared to it. I'd definitely go with the milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Milestone for sure. That's actually quite a reasonable price too, considering it's Expansys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Clove.co.uk have the milestone even cheaper.

• Advertisement

Would i have to pay more with customs and such if i bought from Clove?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Would i have to pay more with customs and such if i bought from Clove?
    Nope, they're based in the uk, so there's no customs to pay. It's only when you buy anything outside of the EU that you have to pay customs/VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I'm following this thread very closely as I'm changing from an E71.
    I too am torn between the Milestone and the Hero.

I have seen other comments on the web from Hero owners who would like a Milestone so the Motorola appears to be edging out in front.

The following make interesting reading:

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-droid-verizon-wireless/4864-6452_7-33783559-1.html?tag=txt;uo

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3001&idPhone2=2861

http://www.talkandroid.com/2084-motorola-milestone-dext-android-2-1-upgrades/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

The milestone's the best phone i've ever had. Just got the 2.0.1 update which severly increases the speed of the phone too.

The milestone's the best phone i've ever had. Just got the 2.0.1 update which severly increases the speed of the phone too.

Spottyelephant: I would be interested to know what you had before.

• Advertisement

Im now thinking that i dont want to spend so much money on a phone and i think i will get the HTC tattoo.
    Am i right in thinking this cant be rooted yet, or is it the same process as the hero on theunlockr.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The hero is only €49. Tattoo is a fine entry level phone, but if you want a smartphone go foe the hero... I'll be interested in how it will perform with the upgraded operating system...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The hero is only €49. Tattoo is a fine entry level phone, but if you want a smartphone go foe the hero... I'll be interested in how it will perform with the upgraded operating system...

At the max i spend 20€/month w/o a data package so it would be €399 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Tbh, if you aren't a heavy user Android is probably a bit too much for you. The tattoo would be a good introduction, but after a year of using it you'd be pissed of with the screen and probably android as a result. Why not look at a Samsung tocco or similar. One of the real benefits of android is its use of the cloud, and that really comes into its own with an always on data connection. You're average phone has internet and email these days... why bother with an advanced phone if you only intend to use partial function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Pikasso wrote: »
    Spottyelephant: I would be interested to know what you had before.

I had the usual bunch of phones, then the first smartphone I had was the nokia 6600, then the n95, then i switched to android and got a Samsung Galaxy. The Galaxy's a great phone, but for the amount of emails I do on my phone, the larger screen and option of a physical qwerty was more suited to me on the milestone. Also the milestone's version of android is newer, which adds quite a lot of improvements.

I could give you a list the length of my arm of what i like on the milestone, but in summary to give an indication of what it's like to use i'll just say that i've used iPhones a lot, and the milestone beats it at everything. Except games, which will probably be equal enough by the end of this year anyway.

Ok so i went for the HTC Hero. Hopefully it arrives before the weekend : )

Fascinated to know why you eventually opted for the Hero when most recommendations pointed towards the Milestone.

What finally did it for you?

price

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abbococo

Enjoy it dude, you won't be disappointed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just reading this thread and from owning a HTC Hero, I would have thought yea would have gone for the Milestone. From myself owning a Hero and now a Nexus One, as a good middle ground in my mind would have been the Milestone but cost always wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Europa76

I have bought Milestone a week ago and I'm very impressed. Excellent display, physical keybord, speed, design..
    Tip: If you want to use your Milestone as a 3G modem, download a simple free app from the Market called EasyTether, works fine!

Advertisement