Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterproof options...

• 06-02-2010 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a novice here, so bear with me...

I'm planning a family holiday soon which will involve some swimming with dolphins. This has been a lifetime dream of my girlfriend's, so if possible I'd love to be able to capture some of it for her...
    Are waterproof camera bags worth considering for it, or would it be wiser to get a cheapish waterproof camera? (don't really fancy risking wrecking a £200 ixus just for a couple of photos)

Any recommendations for either option would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd go with the cheap waterproof camera personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

You could buy a proper underwater housing for your Ixus camera. Have a look on ebay, there are lots of genuine Canon Ixus housings for sale. It would be a shame not to get some decent images to remember the occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I've got film underwater camera in Lidl last year for €6.00 :D but I am thinking about Pentax WS80.
    If you already have a compact, getting the waterproof housing would be the best. And still, it is only a compact, so you won't loose too much in case of accident. Just keep your memory cards safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭geoffraffe

I bought a cheap underwater camera from pixmania last year and the results were mixed at best. Most of the pictures were either too dark, or out of focus.

If it has been a life long dream and you're obviously paying a bit already to get there, you should consider getting the right equipment. The canon ixus is a great option and not overly expensive, and the underwater housing (as mentioned above) that attaches to it is very easy to use.

Make sure you get the 25m one and not the 5m casing. As far as I can remember there's not much in the difference in price but if you ever consider scuba diving you won't be able to use the 5m one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I know two people who have the pentax and they seem happy with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

geoffraffe wrote: »
    If it has been a life long dream and you're obviously paying a bit already to get there

Sure isn't there dolphins all over Ireland you can swim with. Just get a decent wetsuit and you're sorted.
    Regular visitor to Clare coast, photos by a friend, not mine.
    Emerald-Vision

Like everyone is saying have a look for a case for your camera or consider that Pentax, I think there's a similar Olympus, are they the same thing?

Even those bags are fine as long as you check the seals and it doesn't take too much of a beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Cheers guys
    Come to think of it, I have an older camera as well that could be used, so I'd say I'll just get a 3m waterproof case for £10 and hope for the best...

Will have a look into the Clare option as well Paudie, thanks :) (I live in London at the moment, but my folks live in Clare so could pop over for a visit sometime)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

The Olympus tough series are waterproof to a certain level. You could also get some disposable underwater film cameras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

What would happen if you dropped a Nikon DSLR into a puddle?

Scream or cry?

Advertisement