Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no 3D in Ballina Cinema?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Why no 3D in Ballina Cinema? The cinema is miles better than Castlebar, pity they did not get 3d for avatar!. It would have been great in Ballina main screen which I have to say is the best on the west coast in my opinion,.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are technical changes that need to be made, its not just a matter of showing a different reel of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Like a new expensive projector, just for the occasional 3D filum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Like a new expensive projector, just for the occasional 3D filum.

occasional, that's the thing if avatar is anything to go by there are going to be lots more I had to go to castlebar to see it. They need to bit the bullet and upgrade otherwise they will be left behind

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

I heard that the projector had been stolen a few weeks ago during a break-into the cinema

Goodbye 30 grand.
    Hope they made note of the serial number, its not something you could sell anywhere.
    Only to a cinema......

• Advertisement

Goodbye 30 grand.
    Hope they made note of the serial number, its not something you could sell anywhere.
    Only to a cinema......

Might be a market for that sort of thing, in some more corrupt little nation than ours (if thats possible)

Well theres a list kept by the film distrubutors.
    Probably another from customs or the agents for the projector.
    Comparing the two, the answer is....

Well thats what insurance is for, claim and buy a new one. Avatar breaks worldwide box office record and we can's show it in ballina? It was the same at Christmas with Christmas Carol would have been better in 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kats26

Ballina is a far nicer cinema than Castlebar but is it just me or does anyone else find it cold there all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I just would like to say I am usually a very easy going person and very rarely complain but............

Ballina Cinema is the worst run business I have ever come across.
    I cannot count the amount of times the film was out of focus (by far the worst problem), the place freezing cold, too many people let in, the shop closed early.
    One time when I asked for a refund (3 times I explained the film was out of focus) I was told "its not my fault....that projectors hasn't worked right for weeks" :confused::confused::confused:
    Another time I was told there was no one in charge and a manager would not be around until the following Tuesday :confused:

However, every cloud has a silver lining. After I vowed never to set foot in Ballina Cinema again I had to build this in my house....

picture.php?albumid=1009&pictureid=4949
    picture.php?albumid=1009&pictureid=4947
    picture.php?albumid=1009&pictureid=4948

I know its not a cinema, but at least the heatings on, its in focus and the shop is never closed :)

• Advertisement

One time when I asked for a refund (3 times I explained the film was out of focus) I was told "its not my fault....that projectors hasn't worked right for weeks" :confused::confused::confused:

Same here!!!, I would say atleast 8 times during different movies I have had to leave the cinema and ask them to adjust the focus. I used to call from the cinema upstairs, but then they stopped answering. its a joke.

But the cinema is far better that Castlebar (layout/size not management)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 defendor

agreed.

When the cinema was built I was of the understanding that it was state of the art with the capabilities to handle future technologies, this was being stated while 3D was just around the corner. It certainly has more potential than Castlebar. I feel there is more to it than simply bad management, i once sat through trailers where half of the projection missed the screen completly, for which there is zero excuse. My gut tells me Castlebar cinema (or whoever the powers that be, maybe Captain Industry...) is calling the shots and keeping the business flowing toward the county town. Just a thought.

defendor wrote: »
    agreed.

When the cinema was built I was of the understanding that it was state of the art with the capabilities to handle future technologies, this was being stated while 3D was just around the corner. It certainly has more potential than Castlebar. I feel there is more to it than simply bad management, i once sat through trailers where half of the projection missed the screen completly, for which there is zero excuse. My gut tells me Castlebar cinema (or whoever the powers that be, maybe Captain Industry...) is calling the shots and keeping the business flowing toward the county town. Just a thought.

Are you inferring there is a saboteur in the midst of the Ballina cinema projection staff ! ? Or maybe the management are just complete Sh!te like everything else in the town.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well it mustn't be that good if it does have 3D ;)

Went to see Dragon Training in 3D in Castlebar, saw a lot of people from Ballina there as they are showing 3 3D movies, (Alice in W, Dragon Training and Clash of Titans). Well work seeing the movie in 3D.

But its a real pity that Ballina did not get atleast 1 3D screen up and running.

Advertisement