Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam(ing) heap of ****, getting a refund on a PC game?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Cabaal wrote: »
    A game updating itself before playing, whatever next!
    I've never heard of a game that won't play without a forced patch (by design, I mean, not by flaw)!
    PacManFan wrote: »
    Firstly, you're not legally entitled to a refund as the good is not faulty.

How very matter of fact for a very subjective and grey area. If he met the system requirements and still can't play the game, then it sounds like it's faulty to me! It might be reasonable to expect that he contact Steam in an effort to sort it out, but that's certainly not a legal requirement. Anyway it's not your or I that determines whether it is faulty (but you might remember that before dishing out such stern advice the next time).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cgarvey wrote: »
    I've never heard of a game that won't play without a forced patch (by design, I mean, not by flaw)!

No software is fault free though to say otherwise is foolish,
    So when it comes to it I'd rather play the version with the most fixes then one that could be 6-12 months old (or older)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

No software is fault free though to say otherwise is foolish,
    So when it comes to it I'd rather play the version with the most fixes then one that could be 6-12 months old (or older)

Agreed, twice. But neither relate to the OP's issue, as far as I can see. S/he wasn't able to play the game, period. There's a reasonable expectation of updates, granted, and online activation. However, I don't understand the precedent of not being able to play the game at all without a large update? I've never hear of that, i mean.

Of course there could be something weird with her/his internet connection and a whole tub-load of other possibilities but, again, surely it's reasonable to be able to play the game without being forced to update, it straight out of the box?

Anyway, the matter has been resolved now, so I guess there's no point in arguing over minute points!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ttm wrote: »
    I read some where of one user having to do a 4.6GB download before he could play a Steam controlled game.
    Sounds like they bought a game online, and were surprised that they then had to download it...:rolleyes:
    Interesting point from the shop, they said they send all returned games back to Dublin to be checked as even if I'd said I hadn't activated the game they would have no way of knowing and wouldn't put it back on the shelf. Also the reason I said I'd activated the game as no point someone else buying the game and then not being able to activate.
    I'm wondering will that game stay on your account, or will Gamestop have a agreement with Steampowered.com about removing it? Keep us posted about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like they bought a game online, and were surprised that they then had to download it...rolleyes.gif

This was where I got the 4.6GB comment from, but I can't even tell for sure if I was downloading the game as I have a feeling that I didn't even get as far as updating the Steam client (after about 100MB probably more).
    the_syco wrote: »
    I'm wondering will that game stay on your account, or will Gamestop have a agreement with Steampowered.com about removing it? Keep us posted about that.

Me too but won't be able to say as I deleted the game and the Steam client. If my son still has the Steam client installed (he's changing computers so can't be sure) I'll try logging in with my ID in a week or so's time and let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Me too but won't be able to say as I deleted the game and the Steam client. If my son still has the Steam client installed (he's changing computers so can't be sure) I'll try logging in with my ID in a week or so's time and let you know.

Once you have a steam account YOu can't delete games from it...only Valve can do this

If you uninstall the client this doesn';t remove the games either as they'll still be linked to the a/c in question if you log back in.

I'd almost bet the game will still be on the account if you log back in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Once you have a steam account YOu can't delete games from it...only Valve can do this

If you uninstall the client this doesn';t remove the games either as they'll still be linked to the a/c in question if you log back in.

I'd almost bet the game will still be on the account if you log back in

I think we can agree on that, but having worked supporting a product with activation codes I say its normal to have some form of revocation system even if you don't advertise the fact. In this case my guess is even if there is a method of revoking and re-issuing codes it won't get done.

I think we can agree on that, but having worked supporting a product with activation codes I say its normal to have some form of revocation system even if you don't advertise the fact. In this case my guess is even if there is a method of revoking and re-issuing codes it won't get done.

Valve can certainly revoke games on a an account thats a fact, but if the shop will bother to request this is another thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This was where I got the 4.6GB comment from
    Aye, Steam wanted to download it.
    Steam wouldnt let me install it from the disk. It said it would download all necessary files to a local destination
    Seems he got it sorted in the end. Never had such problems myself, but that's not to say people won't.
    but I can't even tell for sure if I was downloading the game as I have a feeling that I didn't even get as far as updating the Steam client (after about 100MB probably more).
    Yeah, have had problems witht he Steam client. Usually uninstalling it and removing it fixes it, IME.
    Me too but won't be able to say as I deleted the game and the Steam client.
    As said, unless Valve/Steampowered removes it, it'll still be on your account when you log onto Steam using your details. As most PC games don't get a refund as it's so easy to get crack for them, I'm surprised, but they may not know how easy it happens. my point: you were lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

cgarvey wrote: »
    Agreed, twice. But neither relate to the OP's issue, as far as I can see. S/he wasn't able to play the game, period. There's a reasonable expectation of updates, granted, and online activation. However, I don't understand the precedent of not being able to play the game at all without a large update? I've never hear of that, i mean.

I think it probably could have got going through offline mode somehow but it takes a lot more effort than its worth.

I just buy the games on Steam in the first place. 9 gig downloads are ok except for my cap :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

thebman wrote: »
    yeah if it won't go into offline mode, just disable your network connections and it works out that it can't update. It seems to be a bug/feature when you select offline mode that if a network connection is available, it will still try to use it at certain times and give you a network error even though its supposed to be starting in offline mode.

I only worked out the above fix after pulling my hair out :D

Thanks for that, must try it if it happens again.

Although given I was on Irish Rail I'd be very surprised if there was a network connection available anywhere.

Advertisement