Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D cinema in Kilkenny

Options
  • 06-02-2010 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if theres any plans for kilkenny to get 3D cinema in the near future???

Thanks;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Not that i know off! Carlow and Waterford would be the only options for going to see 3D at the minute!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Wexford too I believe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Licksy wrote: »
    Wexford too I believe?

How did we miss out . . .:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

We're lucky to have 2D, the fkin state of the place.

Oft I yearn for my halcyon days attending the cinematograph on William street. All movies presented in anamorphic Technicolor and full 2.0 stereo sound for maximum entertainment. Boxes of fruit pastilles for 50p and if you weren't enjoying Mrs Doubtfire you could fire them off the balcony at the plebeians down in the stalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Management there are supposedly talking about getting 3 D, but that's as far as its got!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

A couple more screens wouldn't go amiss either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone in the new one in Carlow? Makes the KK one look so crappy now by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The same company owns Carlow , Wexford , Clonmel , Kilkenny and several others , so I would think something will probably happen this year.There are 2 digital projectors in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

The one in carlow is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

That site on the johnswell rd. has PP up on the fence for a multiscreen cinema. It not on ABP website though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

jiggajt wrote: »
    That site on the johnswell rd. has PP up on the fence for a multiscreen cinema. It not on ABP website though.

That site notice has been up for a long time now. I walk past it every day when I take my dog for a walk. The PP for the cinema was rejected, but the sign has not been taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

DerryRed wrote: »
    That site notice has been up for a long time now. I walk past it every day when I take my dog for a walk. The PP for the cinema was rejected, but the sign has not been taken down.

that site notice was removed awhile ago and another one put up for discount store like aldi or lidl, i emailed the cinema in kilkenny about 6 weeks ago to ask if there were any plans for 3d in kk but still no reply from them, great coustmer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

I currently work for the company that owns the cinema in Kilkenny although at another site.All new cinemas opened by the group in the last 2 yrs have all been completely kitted out in digital projection which is why the likes of Carlow,Thurles and Wexford have 3d. Older sites like Kilkenny,Clonmel will be upgraded to 3d in the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Good to know at least KK will get 3D ;)

Someone should open a 4-D cinema and blow these jokers right out of the water...

linny wrote: »
    that site notice was removed awhile ago and another one put up for discount store like aldi or lidl, i emailed the cinema in kilkenny about 6 weeks ago to ask if there were any plans for 3d in kk but still no reply from them, great coustmer service.

Wonder how long it will take for that to be rejected as well:rolleyes:

Kilkenny City:

"Why have well thought out urban development when you can have Dunne's Stores?"

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I saw a film in the Watergate Theatre there recently. State of the art 3D, you didn't even need the glasses. It was as if the people were standing right in front of you, like you could reach out and touch them.

No trailers beforehand either. Check it out.

Things have come full circle....

'Bout time. Can't wait for Godot now, with added lasers and Jar Jar Binks.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

went recently when on holidays too see a short flim in 5d, makes 3d old maybe when everywhere else has 5d kilkenny will get 3d

• Advertisement

Ah they'll always be one or two dimensions ahead of us in Carlow and Waterford.

The whole sorry scene kinda reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntyaIWlbmQ

pity the 3d is a bit late for avatar . . .

I'd rather they sorted out the sound system than get in 3D. I've been a few times, and it is by far the worst quality sound I've experienced at any cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 I Love Tea

DerryRed wrote: »
    I'd rather they sorted out the sound system than get in 3D. I've been a few times, and it is by far the worst quality sound I've experienced at any cinema.

In order to upgrade to digital and 3d the sound systems would also have to be upgraded as the sound source is being being fed from the digital projector,not like on the 35mm film setup which is mostly based on an optical analog surround system

went to see avatar in 3D in carlow today, first time seeing a 3D film. don't know if it meets up to expectations. The film was very good, but the actual 3D effect thing wasn't spectacular . . .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

went to see avatar in 3D in carlow today, first time seeing a 3D film. don't know if it meets up to expectations. The film was very good, but the actual 3D effect thing wasn't spectacular . . .

Was it like the 3D from the 80s or is it a whole new ball game all together?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Was it like the 3D from the 80s or is it a whole new ball game all together?

I wasn't round in the 80's sorry!!!:D

I was.

I wasn't around in the 1950's though, which is when stereoscopic imagery first appeared, but I did attend the cinema on William street in the 90's, which was pretty much the same thing.

It worked by having two simultaneous reels of the movie on two projectors, and glasses with polaroid filters (the polarisation of light is the confining of light to one Euclidian plane, check your leaving cert physics books kids...) which meant that each eye only saw the output from one projector, and since both perceived slightly different aspects, the brain interpreted this as 3D.

In the 1970's, the 3D craze was reborn when they managed to achieve this using only one projector.

Nowadays it is done digitally (apparently James Cameron waited until the technology was good enough before he went ahead with Avatar)... it's differently done albeit according to roughly the same principles, i.e. tricking your brain into perceiving objects on the screen in three dimensions by showing each eye a slightly different image simultaneously.

Clever, but I would much prefer if James Cameron devoted more attention to tricking my brain into perceiving the story line as original, well conceived and engaging.

i thought the story was good but the 3D not fantastic . . .

• Advertisement

Advertisement