Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scanner query ICOM ICR5 frequency and acars

• 06-02-2010 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

hi folks
    have an ICOM IC-R5 scanner and trying to receive ACARS on 131.725mhz..
    not sure if it should be FM or WFM.. so set it as WFM and connected it to pc with squelch open..

not picking up any info using acarsd software...

would this scanner pick up HF ADS-B frequencies?
    here is the scanner spec.

• 0.150 to 1309.995MHz wide band coverage with AM, FM, WFM modes
    • Built-in rod antenna clearly improves low frequency broadcasts
    • Total of 1250 memory channels (1000 regular channels with 18 memory banks, 50 scan edges and 200 auto memory write channels)
    • High speed scanning (30 channels per second)
    • DC power jack for use with cigarette lighter socket
    • Ultra compact size, with drip-resistant construction
    • CTCSS and DTCS tone squelch
    • Cloning capability via USB cable

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i briefly decoded acars before succesfully but im nearly sure i used AM but i think it works on wfm also but since you ahve tried that go with AM and let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

deaglan169 wrote: »
    i briefly decoded acars before succesfully but im nearly sure i used AM but i think it works on wfm also but since you ahve tried that go with AM and let us know how you get on

ok set it to AM mode this morning, also am using external scanner antenna, and since i turned it on, its being going constantly picking up messages, getting a lot of trans atlantic flights, 747s etc..

seems to work quite well, i am using the AIRNAV acars program which is quite good compared to acarsd , as with the AIRNAV one theres no configuration required.

i had it running on a netbook last night, but got nothing, since changing over to the laptop this morning, its 500% better.

in terms of ADS-B are there any alternatives to the airnav radar box? as it seems quite expensive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

there is another manufactorer the name escapes me at the min but its in the same price range check out the thread here on listening to dublin atc there are links posted in there by other members which display the same as the radar but are free over the web and in real-time:D

just found this link you need google earth also but works well http://ei7dar.com/aircraft.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

Honda08 wrote: »
    seems to work quite well, i am using the AIRNAV acars program which is quite good compared to acarsd , as with the AIRNAV one theres no configuration required.

I used to use WACARS and its cousin KRACARS.

Anyone know if ACARSD is better/worse than WACARS ?

Advertisement