Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK footballer betting on games?

• 06-02-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

Well we'll see tomorrow if this rumour is true.
    It’s been a bad week for a certain UK football player, and from what we hear things may be about to get worse.

Sources are telling us a major UK newspaper will be running a story on Sunday claiming that he’s been placing bets on football matches, which is apparently against FIFA rules. If this turns out to be true the player could be banned from the sport for life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Terry ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

all bets are off that it's JT then.

Hmmm, I wonder which paper is running this story....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Lads I guarantee the NOTW will murder him come tomorrow.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hmmm, I wonder which paper is running this story....

all bets are off that it's NOTW then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I'm not sure if it is Tiny Tears, I just can't see any of the redtops doing this to an England player a couple of months before the world cup.

But no doubt we'll find out tomorrow. Did you hear the presenter at the end of the Premiership saying that no doubt there will be John Terry related stories in the papers tomorrow?

Rumermills.com ? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    all bets are off that it's JT then.

in fairness - if the other rumours going round about him are true - this one would be the least of his worries.

I'll hold off till we learn more to be honest.

I don't really care if he has been betting on games, even if it is against the rules. No one could argue that he ever tries less than 100% to win the matches he plays. I'm no fan of him, but i'd never question his desire to win.

Ederington??

oh don't get me wrong.

i couldn't give a toss.

i would just enjoy the continued sabotage of England's World Cup preparations by its own media!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This has been rumoured for the last week or so and I'm pretty sure it's you know who. I don't get the sabotage the english papers do to their team.
    Would an Irish paper run these stories in the run up to a world cup? Maybe, I'm not sure.

oh don't get me wrong.

i couldn't give a toss.

i would just enjoy the continued sabotage of England's World Cup preparations by its own media!

on the flip side would you honestly want the media to black out the wrong doings of english footballers just cause it is WC year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

RIP JT

Die in a grease fire retard media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Would love if this was true.

Don't have anything against John Terry, but watching the media's reaction will be brilliant entertainment.

Even if it wasn't him, I'd be quite happy.

it'll prob turn out to be Rio. Gerrard will be caught for something next week.

on the flip side would you honestly want the media to black out the wrong doings of english footballers just cause it is WC year?

well, no.

that is true, and i honestly didn't think of it like that.

it still amuses me though.

the mass hysteria, the hype, the press conferences with questions that will have nothing to do with football.

it's a carnival.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

They'll be down 500K or something in betting and it will be a non story to begin with. Same old crap.

CHD wrote: »
    RIP JT

Die in a grease fire retard media.

A paper fire would be better.

Just for the irony.

But it's obvious they seek out these stories becauseit is a WC year and they will get more hype and attention.

it'll prob turn out to be Rio. Gerrard will be caught for something next week.

Just imagine if it was Rio.

Another 12 minute meeting with Capello.

SSN meltdown.

• Advertisement

Just imagine if it was Rio.

Another 12 minute meeting with Capello.

SSN meltdown.

Mass orgy on SSN from the excitement. Actually I wouldn't mind that if they could lose the men.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

JPA wrote: »
    This has been rumoured for the last week or so and I'm pretty sure it's you know who. I don't get the sabotage the english papers do to their team.
    Shareholders!

This is one of the stories I referred to in another thread here. There may yet be a few more.

well, no.

that is true, and i honestly didn't think of it like that.

it still amuses me though.

the mass hysteria, the hype, the press conferences with questions that will have nothing to do with football.

it's a carnival.

could imagine if it they did though - would be funny.

"Now we have won the WC, do we have some stories for YOU!"

In truth though, I have heard stories about players that never got into the media. It is far more likely that the stories I heard were rubbish, but maybe the media was persuaded to keep stum on it.

Some are harmless enough, such as Ronaldo being a dick while Rooney was doing an interview regarding the Munich disaster. Some were not so harmless such as a United player not actually being as injury prone as we though, but in drug rehab. have heard various stories about Gerrard that the media have not reported - again it is likely this means the stories are rubbish, but maybe not.

I suppose there are bound to be instances of the media keeping quiet, and that the current England captain is simply too tasty a target to do so with

Mass orgy on SSN from the excitement. Actually I wouldn't mind that if they could lose the men.

there'd be a reporter in every car park in the country!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Babel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

There was a guy from the NOTW on Football Focus and he seemed to suggest there was more to come in terms of stuff on Terry.

One thing gambling on geegees/mutts, far bigger problem for Terry if he was gambling on football, especially given his profile. Might explain Capello's 12 minute meeting.

Wasn't there a case of some lower-division players gambling (want to say Accrington Stanley players but not sure) on games last year. Anyone remember what happened to them?

But it's obvious they seek out these stories becauseit is a WC year and they will get more hype and attention.

don't seem to be tough stories to find, in honesty.

Boggles wrote: »
    Babel?

Too busy twittering/rapping.

don't seem to be tough stories to find, in honesty.

Wouldn't put it past some of the tabloids to have made a special effort as they know the interest will be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Boggles wrote: »
    Babel?
    Wouldn't think Babel could work out betting odds tbh.

If this is Terry, is it a realistic possibility that he'd get banned for life?

Michael Owen.

He likes a bet or two.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Wouldn't think Babel could work out betting odds tbh.

If this is Terry, is it a realistic possibility that he'd get banned for life?

No, unless he was throwing games I'd imagine.

Stop guessing people.

Stop guessing people.

Keane's dog Trigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I'm not sure if it is Tiny Tears, I just can't see any of the redtops doing this to an England player a couple of months before the world cup.

I don't get this at all tbh.If it happened next season or last season it would still be reported on regardless.This could have huge implications if the allegations are found to be true for whoever it is.If it's who people are thinking it is , well i guess the gagging order that was gotten for contractual reasons and not personal reasons could well be a major facepalm for the alleged.Will be looking at a possible lengthy ban from the game if it's proven to be true. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

But no doubt we'll find out tomorrow. Did you hear the presenter at the end of the Premiership saying that no doubt there will be John Terry related stories in the papers tomorrow?
    Would an Irish paper run these stories in the run up to a world cup? Maybe, I'm not sure.

they dont give a ****e about the team, they care about sales

and everyone will buy that paper tomorrow to read the story, thats all they care about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

its not Terry anyway

just read the NOTW

lets just say tiger woods would be proud :pac:

Headshot wrote: »
    its not Terry anyway

just read the NOTW

well, why don't you just tell us what the actual story is then....

well, why don't you just tell us what the actual story is then....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=notw

link and quote man... some RSS feed you are.:rolleyes::p

• Advertisement

link and quote man... some RSS feed you are.:rolleyes::p

fecker :D

its not Terry anyway

just read the NOTW

So this gambling story is nonsense then I guess?

its not Terry anyway

just read the NOTW

That's just a teaser I reckon. They'll drag this out for weeks, there is more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If they say UK, it's Scottish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

cant wait for Terry Vs. Bridge at wrestlemania

oh crap. wrong forum... or is it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I just can't see any of the redtops doing this to an England player a couple of months before the world cup.

That's exactly what they do they do to England players in a World Cup year!

Michael Owen.

He likes a bet or two.

The article started with something like 'It's been a bad week for a certain player...' so you can be nigh on certain they meant Terry. Whether the story is true or not is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Too busy twittering/rapping.

Glad there's two p's in that post tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

So who was it?

Advertisement