Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working reduced hours HELP

Options
  • 06-02-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I have been working in my current job for the last six years. I am contracted to work 39 hours a week and have been doing so up till now.

The Boss has now decided to cut everybodies hours down to 32 since the company is not earning as much as it was (due to less demand and production).

He also wants to change all our shifts so basically even though I will effectively be working less I will end up going to work more often since we ll be doin 8hr shifts instead of our usual 12. He also said that with the new shift system he will probably need to employ somebody else.:confused:

I commute to work (aprox 3 hrs round trip). So this new shift system is gonna cost me double in petrol, child care and I will loose out on the cut hours as well.

We had a meeting at work where we were told all this and told that if we had a problem with it was tough ****e. The boss said he only cares about the company.

No one will speak out except myself. We have no union. The Boss is unapproachable and has been bullying me since I started the job but I have stuck with it cos I have a mortgage to pay and kids to support so I need the money.

I really do not know what to do. i cant ask to work 12 hour shifts and still work the reduced hours cos he ll turn around and say its not his problem if I live 50 mile away. All this stress is unbearable. Please help:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

If your hours and shift are detailed in your contract then the boss needs your written consent to change the conditions.

Otherwise he cant just arbitrarily change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angelique

Yeah if I say that to him he will say sorry I m letting you go if you don't agree with cutting your hours. I would feel the blow financially if he cut my hours but I would be willing to compromise of he arranged my shifts in a way that had me going to work three times a week instead of six I simply can't afford the increased round trips with my reduced income.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm no expert but I'm fairly certain your boss can't reduce everyone's hours below what you're contracted to and then hire additional resources.

If he was to let you go for refusing to this, I think you'd have a case at unfair dismissal, might be worth contacting your union (if you have one) or a solicitor if you don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Angelique

Although I have always worked full time since I started when I checked the contract it said that the hours of work are to be agreed with the supervisor and that they may include shift hours when necessary. So do not know if this is a loop hole for them to decrease our hours as they please. Also it was clearly said in the meeting that only people that the boss liked would be accomodated and he clearly dispises me so I will get the worse hours going. I m being pushed to breaking point here :(

Advertisement