Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dripping toilet cistern

• 06-02-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

I just replaced the siphon on a toilet and now the plastic pipe (with plastic nuts) that is feeding the cistern is dripping, I put PTFE tape on it with no luck. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

irishguy wrote: »
    I just replaced the siphon on a toilet and now the plastic pipe (with plastic nuts) that is feeding the cistern is dripping, I put PTFE tape on it with no luck. Any ideas?

If you mean the 1/2" feed feed pipe is leaking outside the cistern then you need to wrap more ptfe tape on it but make sure you wrap it on....... in the direction that it won't be unravelled when tightening the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Would you believe I just sorted this problem for a neignbour today. The problem with this is they are only supposed to be hand tightened. So what you can do is use a bead of siliconeon the inside between the siophan and washer and the washer and the cistern. Then give it a good hand tighten.

The nut that goes on the outside has a seat in it so when it slams up against the tail end of the ball valve it seals. Then on the base of this you use a standard nut and ring.

I cannot remember the codes on the nuts. My head is mince but I am guessing your leak is coming from the cistern. The silicone will help.

One word of caution. Tighten it all up while the silicone is wet. As silicone has poor memory and you may spring a leak if you wait till the silicone dries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

Would you believe I just sorted this problem for a neignbour today. The problem with this is they are only supposed to be hand tightened. So what you can do is use a bead of siliconeon the inside between the siophan and washer and the washer and the cistern. Then give it a good hand tighten.

The nut that goes on the outside has a seat in it so when it slams up against the tail end of the ball valve it seals. Then on the base of this you use a standard nut and ring.

I cannot remember the codes on the nuts. My head is mince but I am guessing your leak is coming from the cistern. The silicone will help.

One word of caution. Tighten it all up while the silicone is wet. As silicone has poor memory and you may spring a leak if you wait till the silicone dries.

Thats what I did. All sorted now. Toilet still isnt flushing properly though ...

If the toilet is not flushing properly it either is not filling up to the fill line or the syphone is broken. Describe the type of toilet and if its filling etc. Do you use blue loo. Picture would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

If the toilet is not flushing properly it either is not filling up to the fill line or the syphone is broken. Describe the type of toilet and if its filling etc. Do you use blue loo. Picture would be nice.

Its filling up enough (I held down the ballcock to fill it to the top). It doesnt flush properly each time, I guess it could be the syphon but I dont fancy having to replace it again.

BTW Its a standard leaver toilet

• Advertisement

irishguy wrote: »
    Its filling up enough (I held down the ballcock to fill it to the top). It doesnt flush properly each time, I guess it could be the syphon but I dont fancy having to replace it again.

BTW Its a standard leaver toilet

Have you looked at the syphon. Inside it there is a thin plastic sheet and sometimes it ripes. A new one can be bought but most suppliers sell the whole mecahanism as its more profit.

Advertisement