Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old AGP card...Any way to run DX9?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, just a quick question. I have an old machine here with a Geforce4 card that doesnt support DX9 which makes it useless to me. Is there any way of making it work, I dont care if its experimental/unstable/hardware damaging etc etc.

Cheers,
    Lethal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Short answer: no.

Its a hardware thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

The way to get DX9 to run on that rig is... buy a newer AGP card :o

You can find HD3450s out there for under €40, although if you actually want to play games on it you'd need at least a €60+ HD4650.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Solitaire wrote: »
    The way to get DX9 to run on that rig is... buy a newer AGP card :o

You can find HD3450s out there for under €40, although if you actually want to play games on it you'd need at least a €60+ HD4650.

DOW1 is seriously low spec:)

Should have told me :P

Although I still doubt it'd be fun with a HD3450... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dawn of War works on the Geforce 4 fine. I've played Dawn of War on a Geforce 2 MX from 1999/2000, worked fine at low settings, even played it on a PCI Geforce as well. You can still install DX9, the card just doesn't support the features. It will run on your Geforce 4 - if its a GF4MX model, it'll run on lowish settings, but if its a titanium model it'll run at max settings - but it will run regardless.

• Advertisement

Dawn of War works on the Geforce 4 fine. I've played Dawn of War on a Geforce 2 MX from 1999/2000, worked fine at low settings, even played it on a PCI Geforce as well. You can still install DX9, the card just doesn't support the features. It will run on your Geforce 4 - if its a GF4MX model, it'll run on lowish settings, but if its a titanium model it'll run at max settings - but it will run regardless.

Yeah, but not on Windows7, 7 requires DX9 itself :p

I'll knock it back to XP later today and see if it'll run.

Yeah, but not on Windows7, 7 requires DX9 itself :p

I'll knock it back to XP later today and see if it'll run.

Ah, I see - anyway, with XP it'll work, most definitely. I've played DOW on all manner of cards...

Ah, I see - anyway, with XP it'll work, most definitely. I've played DOW on all manner of cards...

DOW really is great:)

Amen! :cool:

Been playing it a lot lately. Hate that it doesn't support wide screen though!

• Advertisement

Been playing it a lot lately. Hate that it doesn't support wide screen though!

You can mess with the config and stretch it IIRC.

Can't you force it through the video drivers?

Advertisement