Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prairie Dogs

Options
  • 06-02-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey everyone,

I was shopping in Petmania today getting treats for my Guineapigs when I came across Prairie Dogs for sale. I have never in my life seen or heard of them as pets!!!

Does anyone here keep them as pets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McKuntmissioner

They were banned (as pets)in the US for many years, until the ban was lifted in or around '08. In Chicago they sell for $250/ea.

By all accounts that I've read, this animal shouldn't be kept indoors. Google will give all the reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I have kept Richardson ground squirrels before - they are half the size of prairie dogs - not the easiest animals to keep & PDs are great chewers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've also seen these in a petmania store, I don't think they are prarie dogs as they were too small. The ones I saw appeared to be an adult with two young ones, the largest was medium rabbit size, smaller Guineapig size. I thought Prarie dogs were bigger.
    The scary thing was when I asked about them the guy had to check the label on the pen to tell me what they were, and he told me he knew nothing about them except what it said on the sheet they had up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Great, another fad animal that will end up in abandoned when the novelty has worn off and the next fad comes along :rolleyes:

Advertisement