Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar or Ballina?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi there,

I was considering Castlebar or Ballina for my hen as I am from Galway. Which would be better? Also what would be a good pub for music, where for food? which nightcluc? etc?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 char087

Westport!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

char087 wrote: »
    Westport!!

I live in Ballina, but for a part Westport is miles better, cleaner and with far better pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I live in Ballina too but I also would agree with Westport. You might get some good deals in the hotels and there are plenty of pubs. Its a lovely town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Def Westport, like Galway but smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Agree with the other posts, but if you have to go to Ballina, why not try Brennan's Lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlybob

Thanks a mill for all the advice!!

Best deal I can get in Wesport is "the Helm" S.C apartments (Harbour mill is booked up), just waiting on them to call me back to confirm availability. Anyone know what its like? Its down on the Quay, but they have a taxi service there to get us into town.

So if all that goes well I just need advice on a good spot for food and a lively pub and then Nightclub! (I don't ask for much do I!! ;) )

So again any suggestions for grub, pubs and night clubs would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Those apartments are fine but very little going on in the Quays at this time of year. The Helm restaurant is great but expensive. You will have to hit for town. In fact most of the restaurants in Westport are pricier than other similiar sized towns. If you like italian, then Sol Rio, across from Matt Molloys, is very good but it is quite small and needs to be booked well in advance for groups. JJ O'Malley's can be okay for a main course and a pint. Again, a little dear.
    Apart from Molloy's, Moran's across the street is quaint (even if the chaps behind the bar need a personality injection when it comes to strangers) and Lavelle's is good. Needless to say, you will be doing a tour of them in any event.
    As for nightclubs, you would want to ask someone of a slightly younger vintage than I, unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlybob

Unfortunately, No S.C accom in the northwest will allow me book 1 single night, its a minimum of 2 nights only. I have actually started telling them I hope they get the bookings in this recession! Anyway, by the looks of things now it will be Days in Castlerbar, Auburn Lodge in Ennis or somewhere in Limerick!

Anyway, I would have loved Westport, but its not to be. Thanks a mill for all your reply's though!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

curlybob wrote: »
    Unfortunately, No S.C accom in the northwest will allow me book 1 single night, its a minimum of 2 nights only. I have actually started telling them I hope they get the bookings in this recession! Anyway, by the looks of things now it will be Days in Castlerbar, Auburn Lodge in Ennis or somewhere in Limerick!

Anyway, I would have loved Westport, but its not to be. Thanks a mill for all your reply's though!

No accomadation in Westport for 1 nite?? Find that odd. Where are you trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

You will get one night accommodation. Tried it for a random Friday night and most of the hotels did a one night deal. Check this out.
    http://www.bookin1.com/newBookIn1Results.jsp
    Gawd, Ennis or Limerick or Castlebar for that matter would be hell compared to Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

If you dont manage to get accomodation in westport, theres a new bus service from Castlebar every half hour from 8pm and from Westport every half hour from 2am. Book in advance on 0872330097, just saw in the paper now, sounds like a great service if it takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Samhain wrote: »
    If you dont manage to get accomodation in westport, theres a new bus service from Castlebar every half hour from 8pm and from Westport every half hour from 2am. Book in advance on 0872330097, just saw in the paper now, sounds like a great service if it takes off.

been running a while that.

looks good though. ill be using it myself some night.

Advertisement