Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scared senseless dog

Options
  • 06-02-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

HI
    Im looking for some advice on my poor dog. Hes a 4 and half year old jack russel mix. It started a few years ago when we took in a stray at xmas who was a right pity - as in scared of everything. Gradually our 1st dog picked up on this and now is scared lots too especially loud bangs. Any hows the 2nd dog has since gone to live with my mother in law in the lap of luxury:D and has no fear of anythng
    Back in october we moved into our converted garage while we are renavating our cottage so basically 1 room downstairs with a wood burner as our only source of heating. Our 1st dog is absoulty terrified of it. Every time it spits/ sparks(door shut) he jumps out of his skin and walks around after us. He would try and jump into our hands when we stand if he could. The thing is we before we got dog 2 he used to sit on the hearth and stare into the fire with no fear. Before the 2nd dog left she had got used to the fire and had no problems but dog 1 didnt pick up on this.
    We are at our wits end with him. He is an inside dog and hates being outside at night but last night I went to the door to call him in and he just looked back at me and looked away. I just cried:o Poor fellow.
    Has any1 had this happen to their dog or anyone know how we can help him get over his fear.
    we have tried leaving the door opened, all of us sitting down next to it coaxing him
    Sorry for the long post and the miss spellings( where is the spell check gone btw cause I cant see it)
    Hopefully some1 can help. Any wacky ideas welcome too
    tanx a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hello OP,
    How do you react when he gets a fright? Do you comfort him or cuddle him etc?

Magenta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Dog Training Ireland just put this on their facebook http://www.thundershirt.com/

They are waiting to get them to provide them but it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

yes magenta. We do but it doesnt work.
    tried ignoring him too but that doesnt work either
    tanx creedonsdogdayc Ill av a look at the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Dog Training Ireland just put this on their facebook http://www.thundershirt.com/

Is that just a heavy coat?

Also OP - comforting them when they get a fright from noises outside can reinforce their being afraid of it.
    For example if there are fireworks lets say, you should pretend like you've heard nothing at all. Dogs will look to you, and will feed off your energy.
    If they get scared and you react to that, you're confirming their fear in a way.

If he's scared of a crackle of the fire and looks scared at you, what's your response?

they look great creedons
    have u seen them for sale here??? amazing if it works

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    Is that just a heavy coat?

Also OP - comforting them when they get a fright from noises outside can reinforce their being afraid of it.
    For example if there are fireworks lets say, you should pretend like you've heard nothing at all. Dogs will look to you, and will feed off your energy.
    If they get scared and you react to that, you're confirming their fear in a way.

If he's scared of a crackle of the fire and looks scared at you, what's your response?

This is why I was asking. Sometimes, even if you try to comfort them, they feel their fear is validated simply because you reacted at all. If seeing them scared like that makes you emotional at all that will only magnify it.
    OP next time it happens, what I would try is- just say in a calm and confident voice "it's OK" and then continue about your business like nothing happened.

star-pants at this stage we are just trying to totally ignore him but he is still scared senseless

deemy wrote: »
    star-pants at this stage we are just trying to totally ignore him but he is still scared senseless

How is he on walks? Is it just in the house that he is like this?

ya magenta tried it. Me or dp have just stayed on couch and said its ok buddy and left it at that. Tried giving him loads of attention and cuddles ect. Tried saying nothing. Tried leaving him outside(which is unfair as hes inside dog and mostly doesnt want to be outside as scratches to come in) Moved his bed to behind the couch, beside the couch in front of the couch, under the table. no go.

Dog Training Ireland are based in Dublin, so if they think they work, they will prob stock them in their daycare (if they do work, I'll get some for my daycare based in Cork too).

By the way, how is he when the fire is not lighting? If he is a little timid but not bad, it might be a good idea to give him treats when he sits near it.

Also, when he gets a fright, distract him. Tell him to sit and give him a treat.

Maybe when he gets frights, from a distance just talk to him like your chatting about x factor ("So Patch, do you like Jedward? I'm not sure, yada yada yada") as if your on the phone. Your calm, slightly loud voice, might distract the dog from the noise of the fire (throw in a few words he knows, yada yada SIT yada yada YOUR PARTNERS NAME yada yada THE DOGS NAME), hopefully your little fella will be engrossed in trying to figure out what your saying.

Put his bed far away from the fire and have the tv / radio relatively loud.

Another option... this might work. Tape the sound of the fire (maybe on an old school tape recorder or something), then play the tape in a different, calm, environment. If he likes the car, maybe the car.
    Watch his reaction, initially he will probably be unsure and look to you for guidance. Talk to him calmly for a second or two, then ignore him.

• Advertisement

Well I don't know about ignoring entirely, sometimes that will work, but as Magenta said, sometimes you need to exert a calm 'it's ok it's just the fire' type sentence and continue along.

Will your dog go near the fire when it's not lit?
    If so I might start with that, don't have it lit, but be at it, bang the door, so on etc, as if you're just mooching about. If the dog doesn't react - good dog, reassurance, praise.
    Then maybe put a candle or something in it - (if you can) just for a flame effect, and again move around it, so on, maybe sit near it and encourage the dog over gently, play with a toy or something. If no reaction - good dog, praise etc.

Not all in one day mind! but just do it a few times if you can. And then light the fire, and do the same things as before, and see how the dog gets on?

My little one is afraid of the hoover, but very curious at the same time, so if I lie it flat on the ground, not on, I encourage her over for a sniff, and praise, then i might nudge it so it moves, generally she still jumps but will come back.

These things can be a slow process but worth it if you can get it to work.
    I've no experience with these 'thundershirts' but having looked at the website it appears to just be a heavy coat? Now, not saying it doesn't work, but we have coats for when my dogs are cut short and it's very cold out, so if I put a coat on them they'd think they were going for a walk. And exerting pressure on a dog (if these shirts are slightly heavy) is just dominating the dog, and may not solve the problem. Plus the dog would be roasted wearing a coat indoors with a fire on. That's just my 2c btw.

NO. hes afraid of loud bangs.We live in the country and if there is a banger going off somewhere - where ever we are - he will head for the car or home when out. NOt that scared of thunder that I know of. but we dont get much of it

He is in great form in the morning when we come down(fire out). Mad for scutting with his toys ect and has no problem sitting on the mat in front of the fire. Get this he knows exactly what fuel we put into the stove - coal or wood even b4 the wood starts sparking and seems to have no problem with coal. NOw still wont sit in front of it but will stay where he is. At xmas we were at some1 house with a coal open fire going and he sat as close to it as he could so I think he is not afraid of the fire but of what is in it

So when he sees you with wood (on your way to the fire) does he react then? Or not until it's lit?

star he takes bits and plays with it if they fall off the wheelbarrow on way from shed. weird huh. Just the bang he is afraid of. As in the crow bangers

So it's just the noise of the wood crackling/spitting that's the issue?
    Not the fire, not the wood, none of that.... I guess you could try what Creedon said about distracting with a treat.
    Get his attention with it (don't just hand it over) and when he makes eye contact and sits for you, give him the treat. If you can draw his attention away from the crackling some of the time he might get used to it a little. It'd take time though

ya star, thinking about it sur a block is bound to spit as soon as it hits the heat but we just take no notice. Ill try all the suggestions mentioned but would be very greatful if any thought of anythng else also in the meantime to post it for me.
    Poor buddy isnt getting much of a quality of life at the moment:(
    tanx a mill

Aye hopefully others might even have experience with a crackling fire affecting their dog.
    It can be tricky trying to figure out how best to combat it, but do try idea mentioned by people in the thread and maybe in the mean time someone else may post with other ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

You could try one of those DAP diffuser or bandanna thingies, they're meant to work wonders. Also, try giving him a safe place to retreat to like a little fabric crate or tent, so he can go and hide in there if he's scared. I realise this might be awkward with limited space, but it's meant to really help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Deemy, look up the 'touch' training method as used by Victoria Stilwell. The short version is that she uses treats to reward a dog for touching something with their nose on command. She starts with objects the dog likes and is comfortable with, and moves onto objects they're scared of. Once they've touched the object they're frightened of, the fear dissipates. Obviously you'd have to do this when the wood burner wasn't lighting, so the dog wouldn't burn himself, but it's a very good technique.

• Advertisement

Deemy, look up the 'touch' training method as used by Victoria Stilwell. The short version is that she uses treats to reward a dog for touching something with their nose on command. She starts with objects the dog likes and is comfortable with, and moves onto objects they're scared of. Once they've touched the object they're frightened of, the fear dissipates. Obviously you'd have to do this when the wood burner wasn't lighting, so the dog wouldn't burn himself, but it's a very good technique.

Now there's a new one and it sounds good.
    It shouldn't be too hard to get the dog to touch something with his nose cos they sniff everything they are handed anyway.

sweeper that sounds like a great idea in theory but its actually the noise he frightened of. He has no problem with the stove when its mot lightening or the sticks themselves its the bangs they make but tanx anyhows.

Blueprint the retreat is an excellent idea until perhaps we could get the problem sorted, Might try it. We could put it under table.
    would it be a bad idea though to have him seperated away from us though. Probably feels not loved as it is having being subjected the this torture night after night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

I have a similar problem with my middle dog. From the day we got her she's been scared of loud noises (nor so long ago I had to run after her out of the park because a chain saw started up at the far end). She was scared of traffic when we first got her but that has settled down. Now it's just sudden noises. I've tried everything at halloween - ignoring the bangers, dap infusors, speaking in a calm voice etc. The other two aren't worried by loud noises in the least (except when the bin has been raided and the very loud noise is my voice inquiring as to the culprit, whereupon a spirit of solidarity forms and they all slink under the bed), but the middle dog has got worse over the years. I'm now on edge in the park as I'm not sure what noises are going to send her running out of the park again.

not sure if I mentioned it earlier or not, but if you tape the sound of the fire and then play it for the dog in a neutral area, he might get used to the noise and no longer fear it. you could even film the fire with a digital camera, and play it on a laptop in another room.

Advertisement