Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crime thrillers

Options
  • 07-02-2010 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I am looking for an author of very good thrillers as I have worked throught Kellermans, Michael Connelly, Karin Slaughter-the best by far, Tess Gerristen, Robert Ellison, James North Patterson, Kathy Reichts, Ian Rankin can't think of the other authors I have read. So any suggestions would be great as I read on average 2-3 books a week and am desperate to discover another author to go on a journey with. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

i'm not great on authors . . .but on rte1 right now theres a new series about murders commited in the exact way as they were in a crime thriller authors books . . .its quite good, like csi crossed with something else . . .called castle.

This is a bit off topic isn't it??? Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ektsoc

Sounds great must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Try Stephen Booth (Fry & Cooper Series), Mark Billingham (Tom Thorne Series), Graham Hurley (Joe Faraday Series), Peter Robinson (Alan Banks Series).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

James Ellroy, you'll never go back to Jessica Fletcher, sorry James Patterson again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've read quite a few ones by RJ Ellory & I find them quite good. My preferred one being A Quiet Vendetta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ian8746

Jeff Lindsay, the Dexter series, is a very good read. Once you start them you wont put them down.
    John Connelly and his Charlie Parker books are an adictive read from a great Irish writer. Mark Billingham, creator of Tom Thorne, is another well worth a read.
    Matthew Reilly, the Australian born creator of the Scarecrow books, is another to read is you are looking for a good page turner. But he may be considered more Action/Army then Crime, but dont hold this against his as he is an enjoyable read

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DMG 1972

Lee Child Jack Reacher series is good, so is Mo Hayder Jack Caffrey series and Henning Mankell Wallender are also good crime / thrillers you might enjoy.

All easy to read but with good storylines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If you're looking for something with a bit more edge than your standard crime novel I urge you to try David Peace's Red Riding Quartet. (1974,1977,1980,1983).

Very visceral, violent and very different writing style (that I will admit is sometimes annoying). Incredibly suspenseful and very very dark. Even the good guys are bastards in this. But great reads all the same.

1974 is the first one so start there

http://www.amazon.com/Nineteen-Seventy-Four-Vintage-Crime-Lizard/dp/0307455084/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265813012&sr=8-1

(Don't read them out of sequence as they will make no sense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Dennis Lehane has several excellent crime thrillers out there:

Mystic River being one of them and I'm currently working my way through his ''Kenzie-Gennaro'' series, having read A Drink Before The War and Darkness, Take My Hand and currently reading Sacred.

Excellent books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

DazMarz wrote: »
    Dennis Lehane has several excellent crime thrillers out there:

Mystic River being one of them and I'm currently working my way through his ''Kenzie-Gennaro'' series, having read A Drink Before The War and Darkness, Take My Hand and currently reading Sacred.

Excellent books.

Gone, Baby Gone is next in line and is also very good. I read the last one in the series Prayers for Rain, which to be honest isn't the best and I'd be happy if it was the last. The series is good but there is a bit of a whiff of cheddar and the character Bubba could be removed completely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement