Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite study music?

Options
  • 07-02-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Does anyone else like to have music on in the background when they are studying/doing h-work?

I find it helps me to concentrate although I have no idea why this is.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I always find/found music with no lyrics fine. Anything with lyrics and I can't concentrate.

Some upbeat classical music is good to give you a boost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Scientifically proven that Classical Baroque music helps concentration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

I suppose Buckethead or Joe Satriani, but generally music doesn't help me concentrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I love studying to Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky. Ambient, slow, lyricless (well, Sigur Ros have lyrics but they're in a made-up language called Hopelandic).

And my set works for actual Leaving Cert Music were in pretty constant rotation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Dead silence. Music just distracts me when I study, regardless of how mellow or intelligent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I've tried listening to music but if i'm writing i tend to write what i'm listening to. I tried listening to classical music aswel but i don't think it works that well for me so i stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

I study listening to muse, metallica, and often slipknot. I just find it easier to concentrate. Blocks out other sounds, eg a baby crying... (I havent gotten around to soundproofing my room yet ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

seanaor wrote: »
    I study listening to muse, metallica, and often slipknot. I just find it easier to concentrate. Blocks out other sounds, eg a baby crying... (I havent gotten around to soundproofing my room yet ;) )

Not sure if serious!!!

Yep, serious! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

Yep, serious! :)

Well Im dumbfounded then. When I read metallica I thought "ok this guy is ripping the piss" :D

• Advertisement

Rossie17 wrote: »
    Well Im dumbfounded then. When I read metallica I thought "ok this guy is ripping the piss" :D

Nah. Ya can listen to anything and study.
    Just dont blare it out loud and you'l be fine. But dont leave it too quiet, or you'll be focusing on trying to hear it. Find a balance that works! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Anything with a constant beat, so dance music is good. Although no music is probably better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If I studied while listening to music I would take nothing in :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I study in with either dead slow droning stuff like Sunn O))) or just really loud fast death metal to block out everything else (Because I can't sing along to it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I study in with either dead slow droning stuff like Sunn O))) or just really loud fast death metal to block out everything else (Because I can't sing along to it)

+1 to Sunn. Although I just can't listen to them unless they're background music for something I need to concentrate for.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MeganM

Music just distracts me while i study, i always end up singing along.
    Silence is golden. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Sunn O))) is actually pretty good because it's not music. It's just ambient noise. It's essentially background noises to study to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Snas

Mogwai, Leonard Cohen or Noah and the Whales new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Ruski wrote: »
    Sunn O))) is actually pretty good because it's not music. It's just ambient noise. It's essentially background noises to study to.

Careful now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Either really low level classical or something very simple, with no lyrics. Anything with words and I'm singing along before I know it. Also can't listen to anything I can play on guitar/piano because I'll convince myself tapping on the table or playing air guitar is studying for my music practical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Pretty much Deadmau5, although sometimes I do like some of Pendulums ''In Silico''.

I love Deadmau5, as you can probably see from mah name:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I listen to silence. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Nah. Ya can listen to anything and study.
    Just dont blare it out loud and you'l be fine. But dont leave it too quiet, or you'll be focusing on trying to hear it. Find a balance that works! :)

Yep same here i'd listen to almost anything when studying including metallica, dream theater, etc..deadmau5 and gordian knot for no (lack of) lyrics too, especially gordian knot

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I can't concentrate without music, at all! It must stimulate my brain or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

John Mayer- Helps calm me down everytime I get too stressed out:D

Advertisement