Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Presidents awards

Options
  • 07-02-2010 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Has anyone got notification yet that they will be getting one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

When do nominations close?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

What's the story with these? Got some random letter this morning saying to go to an awards ceremony on 5th March but haven't a notion what it's about! Is the dress code just smart (i.e. skirt and nice top / shirt) or will I need to wear a nice dress? (I'll be coming from work unfortunately)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

What's the story with these? Got some random letter this morning saying to go to an awards ceremony on 5th March but haven't a notion what it's about! Is the dress code just smart (i.e. skirt and nice top / shirt) or will I need to wear a nice dress? (I'll be coming from work unfortunately)

I got that letter too. Don't think mines a president's award though. I probably won't be able to make the awards ceremony but I already got my cheque 2 weeks ago so I'm happy enough ;)

It sounds like it's the same procedure as the scholarship ceremony. Just wear something nice - I wore a knee-length floral dress for the scholarship thing, not overly dressy. Most girls wore dresses or skirts, guys wore shirts and trousers. Your outfit wil be covered by a gown anyway so don't stress too much.

Hotaru wrote: »
    I got that letter too. Don't think mines a president's award though. I probably won't be able to make the awards ceremony but I already got my cheque 2 weeks ago so I'm happy enough ;)

It sounds like it's the same procedure as the scholarship ceremony. Just wear something nice - I wore a knee-length floral dress for the scholarship thing, not overly dressy. Most girls wore dresses or skirts, guys wore shirts and trousers. Your outfit wil be covered by a gown anyway so don't stress too much.

Thanks a million. Yeah I don't think mine is either (just looked at the site and they seem to be for student activities - so that's not me anyway!) but the info from UCD is predictably vague :rolleyes::rolleyes: Haven't got a clue what it's about lol.

Thanks a million. Yeah I don't think mine is either (just looked at the site and they seem to be for student activities - so that's not me anyway!) but the info from UCD is predictably vague :rolleyes::rolleyes: Haven't got a clue what it's about lol.

I got a letter a fortnight ago informing me that I was getting an award and that it's for academic performance - maybe your letter went missing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dmigsyII

Likewise. I've no idea what this is about. Doubt I'd be getting an award. Are they just rounding up an audience?

dmigsyII wrote: »
    Likewise. I've no idea what this is about. Doubt I'd be getting an award. Are they just rounding up an audience?

Thank God it's not just me who has been left in the dark! Also it's a bit ridiculous having to RSVP by Friday.

Thank God it's not just me who has been left in the dark! Also it's a bit ridiculous having to RSVP by Friday.

Yeah, I've a fairly important essay due on Friday too. Not sure whether to bother going to this. My time might be better spent polishing that turd essay.:D

Yeah, I've a fairly important essay due on Friday too. Not sure whether to bother going to this. My time might be better spent polishing that turd essay.:D

I'm having to take a half day's annual leave from work, and I could think of better ways to use it! If only I knew what it was for I might be more appreciative I guess.

I'll do some nosing around tomorrow and post here if I find anything out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'm getting a President's award for being so cool. They told me to go to the gents toilets in Arts under theatre P/Q where I have to close my eyes and open my mouth. What the award is will be a surprise. I'm so excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I got one of them last year, nice wedge of cash and a medal!;) Needless to say, I stuck have the money behind the counter in coppers!:D I wore a suit to it, sure why not how many opportunities do you get to wear a suit and not go to either: a job interview or a wedding or a funeral?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Went to a couple of these back in my undergrad days, the reception (before these recessionary times anyway!) is great, loads of free wine and decent food, worth going for that alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I got a presidents award. A shake of the Hugh's hand and a plaque!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

Got my letter yesterday. Got it last year too with a cheque also. No sign of the cheque yet. It's basically you sit there with most of the academic heads of each dept. They tell you how great you are for about an hour. Hand out scrolls and awards to people. Rob Kearney was at it last year got the sports award. But the only reason I did work last year was to get the cheque again. Arghhhhhh where's my cheque???? Did anyone get a letter and no cheque??

chave wrote: »
    Got my letter yesterday. Got it last year too with a cheque also. No sign of the cheque yet. It's basically you sit there with most of the academic heads of each dept. They tell you how great you are for about an hour. Hand out scrolls and awards to people. Rob Kearney was at it last year got the sports award. But the only reason I did work last year was to get the cheque again. Arghhhhhh where's my cheque???? Did anyone get a letter and no cheque??

Maybe you only get money once? This lack of information is so irritating - I only found out these awards even existed when I received a cheque in the post, completely out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

You in 2nd or 3rd year?? So annoying as I've been spending the money over the last 2 months in anticipation of the cheque!!! When u get the letter/cheque?????

You in 2nd or 3rd year?? So annoying as I've been spending the money over the last 2 months in anticipation of the cheque!!! When u get the letter/cheque?????

I'm in 2nd year. Got the letter about 2 weeks ago.

Did anyone get a letter and no cheque??

Yeah, I got an invite but no other info or cheque. I'm in 3rd year and never got an invite before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Well it\'s UCD, it\'s got a 1940s Kremlin Civil Service running the place (did anyone catch the queue for the student desk there about a month ago?), you\'ll get your cheques but I wouldn\'t hold my breath. Count yourselves lucky, Trinity is way slower in processing stuff.
    +1, the free food and drink is fecking class so it is, must have drank at least two bottles last year (I got stuck in and skipped the chit-chat!). And the food is pretty good as well. For these reasons it\'s well worth making an appearance.
    I\'m kind of annoyed though that you have to be still in UCD to get the postgrad scholarship award. Again, that would have been a nice chunk of change. I was working with people in Maynooth during the summer, they get €100 for undergrad scholarship awards. €100, sure I\'d spend that on a night out, an expensive night out but still a night out!;)

• Advertisement

Out of hope interest, how much is the cheque for?

Out of hope interest, how much is the cheque for?

Mine was 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Holy crap. I gotta get off boards and start studying.

Curiosity got the better of me and I called the office. I've won a Patrick Semple Medal! Never heard of it. There was no mention of a cheque.

Advertisement