Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Camo?

Options
  • 07-02-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering, I've heard that you can't wear Irish camo unless you are on duty or something, whiche obviously excludes skirmishing, but can you wear camo based on other countries?

And if so, how is this allowed?

Bit of a random question, I know, but I'm likeing the ACU look of the americans, and I want to make sure I won't get arrested for war crimes or something. Any help is appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

About Irish Dom from forum charter
    - The wearing of Irish DPM pattern gear while not on duty, or any other clothing and equipment issued by the Irish Defence Forces is illegal under the Defence Act 1954 and it's subsequent amendments.

you will not be charged with anything for wearing acu for example

but do be aware that what you where for airsoft can generate strong emotions. Dressing as us infantry from Iraq, ww2 german infantry and idf are classic examples of this, just have knowledge and respect, as long as your not doing somthing just to be controversal, then work away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

It's just Irish law.

Yes if you wear ACU you will get arrested for war crimes.

/sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

The Irish BDU is property of the Irish army, and can only be used by those currently serving.

However, as far as I know it is legal to wear any other countries. I've seen german and British camo, and I'm fairly sure american camo is allowed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You wont get any hassle for wearing any camo here ie us ,brit french,german,danish you might find the odd tree hugging hippy that will give you the look :o i know several us service personel who've worn it while passing through shannon and slipped out for a few pints
    the only issuse is with our own dpm as pointed out above its illegal to wear unless your on duty with the pdf or reserves other wise your in possession of stolen goods

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

Sure like the British, american, danish, canadian, russian, etc etc camos are massily produced, they are worn as fashion items all around the world including ireland, it would be pretty funny if it was illegal(not slagging, just saying)

But yes the irish dpm is illegal to wear in ireland unless you are on duty etc. its almost like copy right lol
    and its pretty hard to get them unles you are in the army or RDF in ireland :p
    Dont do it!!! lol
    xXx

but acu is ok of course, do that!!! lol

xXx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

J.D.R wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering, I've heard that you can't wear Irish camo unless you are on duty or something, whiche obviously excludes skirmishing, but can you wear camo based on other countries?

And if so, how is this allowed?

Bit of a random question, I know, but I'm likeing the ACU look of the americans, and I want to make sure I won't get arrested for war crimes or something. Any help is appreciated

Oh dear... **** storm inbound.

Irish dpm is really the only one, if you can buy it in a reputable online shop, its legal. the market... mm, well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

funny one , danish m84 is restricted in denmark cant be sold to joe so civvie after an incident involving students taking over a military barracks

hahahahaha no way? good securty huh? :P
    xXx

I think anyone with half a braincell can work out why its restricted here huh?

(aimed at the 'uuughhhhh why am restricted no fairz' crowd)

Firekitten wrote: »
    I think anyone with half a braincell can work out why its restricted here huh?

(aimed at the 'uuughhhhh why am restricted no fairz' crowd)

agreed on completely.
    xXx

• Advertisement

There are a few countrys around the world where you can not wear the national unifom, but as with Ireland these rules are domestic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

So, if we are allowed to wear other countries camo here, are other countries able to wear ours, but not theres?

Bad english I know, but its the only way to phrase the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

J.D.R wrote: »
    So, if we are allowed to wear other countries camo here, are other countries able to wear ours, but not theres?

Bad english I know, but its the only way to phrase the question
    short an sweet.....yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

deco nate wrote: »
    short an sweet.....yes

Actually no.

The Irish Military uniform remains property of the Minister of Defence at all times, therefore, any item of genuine issue "in-service" uniform is technically stolen military property.

In short, no one should have it outside of the Irish defence forces.

Furthermore, very few countries have the restrictions on civilian ownership of national military uniforms that we do. Denmark has a restriction on the ownership and wearing of their current issue uniforms (a desert variation of the M84 temperate design) however they export excess production of these items to the UK and have no restriction on the copying of the pattern (it would appear). The UK, US, France, Germany and most other nations whose camouflage and uniforms you would be familiar with have no such restrictions. It is the act of deliberately misleading someone to believe you are an active member of their defence forces that they have the majority issue with.

I remember being at Catterick one ex, and my CO got into a very animated conversation with an airsofter dressed as a US Col as we passed through the stageing area of the Winney Hill Obua village... he was very curious about the apparent us exchange program and made a few comments and such before he was removed by his 2ic who had clocked the fact it was a mitty already.... Took our CO about 3 hours to cop on that it was an airsofter.... *sigh* That still makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

I was under the impression it's illegal to wear Irish for the same reason it's illegal to dress up as a Garda. It's illegal to impersonate a representative of a government organisation.

Its illegal to wear the camo because its too easy to mstake someone in it for friendly and not shoot to avoid blue on blue... In this situation, that sort of minute delay on the trigger can cost someone thier life, or could, when it was more relevant. Its not a hard concept to understand, and I'm not from here. Why is this still debated? surely we worked it out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

the DF guards money when its being moved around
    just think how easy it would be to rob the bloody stuff (money) if you could get your hands on the camo
    i presume thats one of the big reasons you arnt allowed get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Thanks for all the help. I was just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

The problem isn't that wearing Defence Forces property (whether someone's doing it as a tribute or they just can't be bothered picking up top quality, dirt cheap ex-issue British or German gear) is a huge moral issue, it's that persistently doing what we've been told not to do umpteen times is taking the piss. And therefore showing disrespect to the Army.

Here's a summary:
    1. If you're in the Defence Forces, you can only wear the uniform on duty, or going to or from duty. You also have to wear all of it, in accordance with Dress Regulations.
    2. If you're not in the DF, you can't wear the uniform (with certain exceptions, e.g. theatrical performances). Impersonating a member of the DF or a Garda is a very serious offence.
    3. Unauthorised possession of State Property is illegal.
    4. Wearing the uniform of a foreign power without permission in writing from the Department of Foreign Affairs is also illegal, under a different law. That permission is given for a specific date and place or event (e.g. a wedding or parade).
    5. You could also be done under conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace.
    We get away with running around in uniforms and carrying replica firearms because we're playing a game and we do it in private and away from public view. Our chance to do so can be taken away if we don't value and protect it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Firekitten wrote: »
    Oh dear... **** storm inbound.

Irish dpm is really the only one, if you can buy it in a reputable online shop, its legal. the market... mm, well.

FK, are you trying to say. The more reputable the source, the less illegal the purchase of a restricted item becomes? :confused:

FK, are you trying to say. The more reputable the source, the less illegal the purchase of a restricted item becomes? :confused:

i think what she is trying to say is that is the camo is legal to own it will be readily available thought retailers, where as something like irish dpm is clearly not available thought retailers

As puding says... 'if you can buy it in a shop, its probably legal, if you cant, its probably not. 'Sean on the market' doesnt count as a shop.

Its a simple rule of thumb for saving us from these repeated 'but why mummy' topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Jonny, mate, don't feed the troll. It'll save us all a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

not gunna gang up on anyone here but come on guys fk has jsut said bits on what she knows it. we all have our say and rest our case theres multiple threads relating to irish dpm and its the same when i game in España i cant wear spanish camo as its illegal there. although it is a lovely camo. i think we have all said our bit on it and let this thread die.

OzCam wrote: »
    Jonny, mate, don't feed the troll. It'll save us all a lot of trouble.
    Excuse me? I'm a what? I am about as far from a troll as possible, but If you hadn't had me blocked since June 2009, you might see that. I'm extremely offended by your remark. The only one causing trouble here is you.

Jonnytwocombs: I'm suprised at you... thanking him for insulting someone?

What I'm trying to say is, if a reputable source is selling something, there is a good chance that it is legal to be sold. As if it was not, it would liklely be removed, and them closed down. As no retailer sells irish DPM, its another indicator, on the many, that it is illegal to own and wear if you are not a member of the DF.

The fine nuances of the DF regulations I am not aware of, and wont comment on. Its pretty clear, however, as we've all said in many threads, that you cant get it, and if you did, there is a good chance of being arrested and prosecuted for it.

End of story no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

I have no need to interfere in someone else’s tiff, but the comment Oz directed at me appears to be sound advice and good guidance. Perhaps, if we all stopped feeding the trolls that populate forums such as this, the online pettiness and one up man-ship might decline.

That is why I thanked him.

Any ‘insult’ inferred by my thanks to Oz is entirely the result of your own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

I think the OP's question has been answered at this stage.

Thread Locked before it turns to crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement