Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TITANIC AT CITYWEST

Options
  • 07-02-2010 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

hi guys
    am going to dublin on the 13th and i was thinking of bringing the father to the city west hotel.just wondering has anyone gone to this exhibition and how much time should i allocate to do this as i have some other appointment in the city on the same day.is it any good?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I went not so long ago with my husband.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it and for me it was money well spent as I have always been fascinated with the ship.
    Some really great things on display that have been salvaged from the ship and they were just amazing to see.

There is alot of reading involved as you make your way through the 1st class,2nd class section and into the mailroom and then bridge area.

At the start of the exhibition you get your "boarding pass" and have your photo taken. There is an option at the end of the exhibition to purchase the photo with Captain Smith or The Titanic itself!

You also have the name of a passenger that sailed on the Titanic and at the end you can read the names of those who perished or survived.
    It's worth reading the 3 seperate stories of some Irish passengers and you may shed a few tears. I did and the lady beside me was pulling out her hankies after reading about the lady from Co Westmeath who died with all her children.
    I'm bringing my mum back to see it before it leaves.
    It took me 2 hrs from start to finish but others were getting through it quicker then me, however I'm a history junkie so was reading and looking at everything.
    I would give yourself at least an hour to see it. it will probably take more.
    I'm sure your Dad will enjoy it. There is a small giftshop and coffeeshop at the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I really enjoyed it even though I think it's a little pricey. Very well put together and the recreation of the different sleeping quarters was cool.

I died and my wife survived at the end. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

Sundew wrote: »
    I went not so long ago with my husband.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it and for me it was money well spent as I have always been fascinated with the ship.
    Some really great things on display that have been salvaged from the ship and they were just amazing to see.

There is alot of reading involved as you make your way through the 1st class,2nd class section and into the mailroom and then bridge area.

At the start of the exhibition you get your "boarding pass" and have your photo taken. There is an option at the end of the exhibition to purchase the photo with Captain Smith or The Titanic itself!

You also have the name of a passenger that sailed on the Titanic and at the end you can read the names of those who perished or survived.
    It's worth reading the 3 seperate stories of some Irish passengers and you may shed a few tears. I did and the lady beside me was pulling out her hankies after reading about the lady from Co Westmeath who died with all her children.
    I'm bringing my mum back to see it before it leaves.
    It took me 2 hrs from start to finish but others were getting through it quicker then me, however I'm a history junkie so was reading and looking at everything.
    I would give yourself at least an hour to see it. it will probably take more.
    I'm sure your Dad will enjoy it. There is a small giftshop and coffeeshop at the end!

thanks for your replies
    stovelid i better rethink the insurance on my dad in case he dies at the end lol.
    sundew i am sold.like you i am a history junkie and you have got me all excited about going.it sounds great and dad will love it considering he thinks he is only going to a match.told him i had to do a job so i needed to go early.he loves titanic
    kind regards guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

stovelid wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it even though I think it's a little pricey. Very well put together and the recreation of the different sleeping quarters was cool.

I died and my wife survived at the end. :o

Had to buy the hubby a drink as he was 3rd class male passenger and I put a bet on he didn't survive. He did as he happened to be on deck when the titanic struck the iceberg and was asked to row one of the lifeboats away. :D
    Fascinating stuff!

Try and get to experience the section after 1st/2nd class without anyone else in it as it's a narrow little passage with bunks in it. You will get the sensation of been in that area of the ship. Reminded me of of been in the car deck of the old sealink ferries ;)

l

Advertisement