Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores Worlds Sharpest Knives rip off

Options
  • 07-02-2010 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭

I was doing my weekly food shopping in Dunnes IIlac Centre when an announcer claimed that they were giving away free kitchen gifts on the 2nd floor. I went up to see what the free gifts were and there was this grinning salesman selling a set of "The worlds sharpest knives":D for €40.
    The offer was 3 sharp knives, one fish knife, one juicer and one piece of metal for making spiral chip garnishings. His method to demonstrate that the knives were the worlds sharpest was to make a small cut in an iron hammer. I shouted to him that its no great scientific secret that steel cuts through iron because steel is harder than iron. It doesn't mean that the steel knives will remain sharp forever. The very act of cutting through the hammer will make the knife sharp for a few extra cuts anyway which he duly demonstrated by slicing up a tomato into thin pieces. The knives themselves were the most pathetic looking implements that I have ever seen.
    And the free gift.....A magic Spiral garnished potato maker(a small piece of metal) Wow :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I was doing my weekly food shopping in Dunnes IIlac Centre when an announcer claimed that they were giving away free kitchen gifts on the 2nd floor. I went up to see what the free gifts were and there was this grinning salesman selling a set of "The worlds sharpest knives":D for €40.
    The offer was 3 sharp knives, one fish knife, one juicer and one piece of metal for making spiral chip garnishings. His method to demonstrate that the knives were the worlds sharpest was to make a small cut in an iron hammer. I shouted to him that its no great scientific secret that steel cuts through iron because steel is harder than iron. It doesn't mean that the steel knives will remain sharp forever. The very act of cutting through the hammer will make the knife sharp for a few extra cuts anyway which he duly demonstrated by slicing up a tomato into thin pieces. The knives themselves were the most pathetic looking implements that I have ever seen.
    And the free gift.....A magic Spiral garnished potato maker(a small piece of metal) Wow :mad:

they had a different guy last month, selling one of those slicer things, same tacky presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Not that I'd ever be a shill for Dunnes, but I bought a set of knives in Belfast 10 years ago with the exact same demo (cutting into a hammer, then a tomato). I still have the knives and they are still very sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

stimpson wrote: »
    I still have the knives and they are still very sharp.
    Same here, got mine four years ago, then again I don't be cutting hammers with them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Anyone know what brand these knifes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

sabatier knives or victorinox knives are the only one to buy, they are more expensive but the set that i have are over 20 years old..the only problem i have had were people pinching them on me. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you got exactly what you were promised, and for free, what a rip off :rolleyes:

btw, I got a small paring knife about 5 years ago this way, and I still have it, very haandy

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I don't want to sound smug, but I've got a carving knife that I bought from Boots in England about 30 years ago that's still going strong. It's never been anywhere near a sharpener and was never touted to be the world's sharpest blade but for longevity I think it's a bit of a star :cool:

Advertisement