Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyosung GT125R

• 07-02-2010 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi!
    I am looking for my first bike and I came across the Hyosung in my searches. I had never even heard of these before. Anyone here have any experiences with them?
    They are a gorgeous looking bike and real beefy looking for a 125. Im 23 and and one of these is probaly my best chance of geting insurance!!
    All views greatfully accepted!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

No reason why someone who is 23 wouldn't be able to get insured on a 250/400. The 125 will only last you a few months before you want to upgrade, take my word on that as I started off on a Cbr125 with similar power to the hyosung. Just not enough power to overtake etc. Not having the ability to twist the throttle to get away from situations you don't want to be in is also pretty unnerving and unsafe.
    canon5571 wrote: »
    They are a gorgeous looking bike
    Yea with lots of nice shiney fairings to scratch when you drop it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

one of the girls on ibf has one of them and she loves it. Deadly looking yokes. Sure are meaty looking things alright. Insurance prices will depend on where ya live. Try quinn direct online quoting to see what ya might be paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭canon5571

Ya was thinking a 125 might be a bit on the small side, though I was gonnna crawl before i could walk and all that.
    I was looking for a sporty looking starter bike like the GT125R. What other bikes would fall into this category in a 250cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Ya was thinking a 125 might be a bit on the small side, though I was gonnna crawl before i could walk and all that.
    I was looking for a sporty looking starter bike like the GT125R. What other bikes would fall into this category in a 250cc?

What is your budget?

Remember, you need lessons - €300 to €500.
    You deffinately need gear - from €500 to €1000.
    And then, there is insurance.

My advice would be to go for a 'older' bike as your first bike.
    Have you looked at bikes like:
    - Honda Super 4 400
    - ER-5
    You could pick up one of these for anything from €1000 to €1500, and they would see you through a year or two of biking.

P.C. wrote: »
    What is your budget?

Remember, you need lessons - €300 to €500.
    You deffinately need gear - from €500 to €1000.
    And then, there is insurance.

My advice would be to go for a 'older' bike as your first bike.
    Have you looked at bikes like:
    - Honda Super 4 400
    - ER-5
    You could pick up one of these for anything from €1000 to €1500, and they would see you through a year or two of biking.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'l price insurance on those and see how I fare out.
    Ya i have factored in all the other costs and am looking to spend €1500 to €2000 at the very very most on the bike.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions! I'l price insurance on those and see how I fare out.
    Ya i have factored in all the other costs and am looking to spend €1500 to €2000 at the very very most on the bike.

I read in your first post that you are 23, and I know that it is difficult to get affordable insurance on a sports bike until you are 25.

Add your two year restriction (from when you get your full licence, you have to wait two years before you can ride a full power bike) and you will be ready to get your dream bike after your 25th birthday.

So, getting a bike that you will be happy with for the next two years should be your aim for now.

Keep us posted on what you get.

Ya I dont want to be spending a few bob just for the sake of getting on the road quickly with a bike i'm not comfortable with, i wanna be sure i'm getting the best bike for my money.
    Just after doing a online quote with quinn direct:eek:
    Seen a restricted rf400 for sale there and based a quote on that, €1080 tpft and €980 tp only. Priced the er5 aswell, €860 tpft and €765 tp only. Wasnt expecting that:eek: Is that the norm for my age group or did they just take a dislikeing to me?????

Seen a restricted rf400 for sale there and based a quote on that, €1080 tpft and €980 tp only. Priced the er5 aswell, €860 tpft and €765 tp only. Wasnt expecting that:eek: Is that the norm for my age group or did they just take a dislikeing to me?????

Unfortunately, that is the norm for your age. :mad:

€765 TPO for an ER-5 is not too bad.

That price will come down as you get a years NCB behind you, and will come down more when you get to 25 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hi!
    I am looking for my first bike and I came across the Hyosung in my searches. I had never even heard of these before. Anyone here have any experiences with them?
    They are a gorgeous looking bike and real beefy looking for a 125. Im 23 and and one of these is probaly my best chance of geting insurance!!
    All views greatfully accepted!!

please don't

Unfortunately, that is the norm for your age. :mad:

€765 TPO for an ER-5 is not too bad.

That price will come down as you get a years NCB behind you, and will come down more when you get to 25 years old.

Ya I suppose i will have to bite the bullet for the first year and give the thievin b#*!~#*s a ball of my hard earned cash. It was the same when I insured my first car, 18yrs old, provisional license, a 7yr old 1.3 corolla, €3000 tpft:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

hey

em first of all stay away from Hyosung!!!

my dad has the 600/ 650cc version and yes they look very nice etc but his bike is only 2 yrs old and he has prob only put a few thousand km on it yet he is having major troubles with its electronics and starter etc,

now my 04 Honda is working lik it was only out of the dealership lol

so please stick with the reliable makes cause otherwise ya might be forking out a nice chunk o money on repairs n ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wouldn't touch one of these with a 10ft barge pole.

A few thousand km on one of these would be the equivalent of an average Jap bike that has done the clock.

These bikes also have a habit of shedding their chrome.

If they are out of warrenty no competant mechanic would keep within an asses roar from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ya I dont want to be spending a few bob just for the sake of getting on the road quickly with a bike i'm not comfortable with, i wanna be sure i'm getting the best bike for my money.
    Just after doing a online quote with quinn direct:eek:

remember being quoted 2.4k on a cbr125 at your age :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

OP, no need to spend between €500 and €1000 on protective gear as another poster said. While you COULD spend that amount, I really don't think you have to.

You can get helmet for whatever price you want but you can pick up a decent one for €150 - €200, you can get ones for less (the one I have cost me €80 in a sale, I'd like to change it but it hasn't been dropped, got 4 stars in the UK Sharp test and is a perfect fit - fit is VERY important so get that in a bike shop and ask for help, it could save your life). A jacket can be got for €100 with all the armour, need not be the world's best but it would be fine and would still protect you. A pants can be about €80, shop around for deals and boots can be got from €70 upwards.

It doesn't have to cost more than €500 to kit yourself out, I'm fully kiited out with my Duchinni jacket and helmet (€110 + €80), Richa trousers (€110), Spada boots (€60) and a pair of Buffalo gloves (€40). I shopped in the sales ya see haha!

Fabio wrote: »
    OP, no need to spend between €500 and €1000 on protective gear as another poster said. While you COULD spend that amount, I really don't think you have to.

You can get helmet for whatever price you want but you can pick up a decent one for €150 - €200, you can get ones for less (the one I have cost me €80 in a sale, I'd like to change it but it hasn't been dropped, got 4 stars in the UK Sharp test and is a perfect fit - fit is VERY important so get that in a bike shop and ask for help, it could save your life). A jacket can be got for €100 with all the armour, need not be the world's best but it would be fine and would still protect you. A pants can be about €80, shop around for deals and boots can be got from €70 upwards.

It doesn't have to cost more than €500 to kit yourself out, I'm fully kiited out with my Duchinni jacket and helmet (€110 + €80), Richa trousers (€110), Spada boots (€60) and a pair of Buffalo gloves (€40). I shopped in the sales ya see haha!

So, €400 all in, or €470 to €520 if you go for the helmet you wanted instead of the sale one - not far off the bottome end of my estimate.

I would rather give people a realistic idea of how much gear costs.

I got my first helemt gloves and jacket with my bike.
    Then spent €70 on boots and €60 on trousers.
    Then €300 on a helmet that is sooooooo much better than my first one.
    Then €60 on a secon pair of boots - I hate putting on wet boots.

Next on the shopping list is a two piece leather outfit - I hope to get it for under €300, and a second pair of gloves - about €50.

So, I have spent €490 so far, and will spend another =/- €350 before summer starts.

hey

em first of all stay away from Hyosung!!!

my dad has the 600/ 650cc version and yes they look very nice etc but his bike is only 2 yrs old and he has prob only put a few thousand km on it yet he is having major troubles with its electronics and starter etc,

now my 04 Honda is working lik it was only out of the dealership lol

so please stick with the reliable makes cause otherwise ya might be forking out a nice chunk o money on repairs n ****

My mindset is starting to sway now alright, probably for the better!! I want a bike that will see me through my restriction period or even longer, so I was probably better even spending a few extra €'s on something reliable.
    Cheers everyone for your comments!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Get yourself a decent pair and you won't need a second pair :p I commute every day in mine and they've yet to let a drop in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

You get what you pay for...& these are "dirt" cheap. Best place to ask is your local bike shop, ask them would they buy one :)

If you do decide on a 125, you'll probably get bored of it in a few months, I'd suggest a 250 or bigger. The Ninja 250 (2008 onwards) would be my suggestion, I've heard great thing about them. Redesigned from the ground up in 2008: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Ninja_250R

GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

So, €400 all in, or €470 to €520 if you go for the helmet you wanted instead of the sale one - not far off the bottome end of my estimate.

I would rather give people a realistic idea of how much gear costs.

I got my first helemt gloves and jacket with my bike.
    Then spent €70 on boots and €60 on trousers.
    Then €300 on a helmet that is sooooooo much better than my first one.

Next on the shopping list is a two piece leather outfit - I hope to get it for under €300, and a second pair of gloves - about €50.

So, I have spent €490 so far, and will spend another =/- €350 before summer starts.

I'd love to spend that but I dont have that money to spend I'm afraid...your estimate was true but I dont like when people go on about the cost of gear because I genuinely think it can frighten people away from biking. Not to say that cheap gear is a good thing either though.

And you know, I'd love a €300 helmet, a nice Shark or Shoei or something...the one I have is noisy as feck :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Fabio wrote: »
    I'd love to spend that but I dont have that money to spend I'm afraid...your estimate was true but I dont like when people go on about the cost of gear because I genuinely think it can frighten people away from biking. Not to say that cheap gear is a good thing either though.

And you know, I'd love a €300 helmet, a nice Shark or Shoei or something...the one I have is noisy as feck :mad:.

my schuberth helmet is lovley and quiet for those relaxing spins
    it acually feels like your going slower so i wear a carbon craft when i'm felling a bit holigan

• Advertisement

I should probaly re-title this thread cuz i'm well and truly gone from the Hyosung now!!
    Anyway, what do ye reckon of the Suzuki GS500f?? They seem to be a popular starter bike. I have seen one advertised (2004 model) and looks like the right fit for me, and its only about €50 more to insure than a 125 Its not restricted though, how much would this cost to get done and who in the midlands area would do it?

I think you can get a bike restricted for around €250

Ane know what power a 98 cbr250rr would be putting out??
    Learner legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

No access from work to bike stuff, a quick google for "cbr250rr specs" should get you what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

40+ so no

Advertisement