Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound proofing a room?

• 07-02-2010 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

can anybody advise on the best way to sound proof stud partition rooms. Can hear everything through them. It is not residential.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

I've no idea about differnt types of walls but after a long discussion on here I went with a system from these people

http://www.acoustifire.ie/

and it seems to have worked well since I got it fitted a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lm74

SwdDub wrote: »
    I've no idea about differnt types of walls but after a long discussion on here I went with a system from these people

http://www.acoustifire.ie/

and it seems to have worked well since I got it fitted a few weeks ago

SwdDub,

How bad were the sound problems before you got this done? and what level of improvement did you get?
    I can hear everything from next door! its terrible. Would also be interested to hear about cost and time it took to get work done.
    Thanks

I was having quite the problem with noise. It was very loud and quite disturbing (on many levels!) and causing me to literally lose sleep. I won't rehash the whole thing but the thread is

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055778454

Since I got the work done (about 3 weeks ago) there has been significant improvement as far as I can tell.

The cost of the job was roughly €1,300 and it took less than a day to complete.

I don't know anything about wall types or structures or suitability. My best advice would be to contact Ted Dalton from the site I put the link up to. Get him to come out to you (costs €50 that later comes off the bill if you go ahead with it) and let him tell you what he thinks in terms of viability.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Can I just ask from your experience would the soundproofing stop childrens screaming and adults shouting.I m having problems with next door.Theyve 4 kids and the kids wake up and cause all sorts of noise which subsequently leads to the adults shouting at them.Starting to really p1ss me off.

Yes it most certainly has cut out vocal acoustics. I would highly reccomend the system I had installed. However, its not suitable for every home so I'd say your best bet is to get the main man from the company to come out and have a chat with you.

It's a little pricey but certainly worth it in my case

• Advertisement

Cheers for that.Just read your previous thread and id say you were at your wits end with that bike. Dont know how you restrained yourself when one of her dildo's threatened you that night,although veiled,i think i would have gotten done for double murder.
    My problem is with kids and i dont think it have the right to march over to the neighbours and demand they shut their little darling up til yours truly is finished a good marathon sleep session.

Anyway I got Ted on the job so im hoping i have a happy ending like you got and your neighbour seeemed to get every night

cheers

SwdDub wrote: »
    Yes it most certainly has cut out vocal acoustics. I would highly reccomend the system I had installed. However, its not suitable for every home so I'd say your best bet is to get the main man from the company to come out and have a chat with you.

It's a little pricey but certainly worth it in my case

Forgot to ask,what system did you get?i presumed there was one uniform method of sound reducing/proofing.
    Does Ted recommend different system as my problem is the same as yours-vocal acoustics!

You'll want to keep your ears and brain on the go when Ted speaks to you. He makes it simple as possible but there is quite a bit of info. I think he has 3 different systems IIRC but for airborne (vocals being the problem in both our cases) I think it was something called the IsoStrip system. He will tell you which one best suits you after he has a look at your walls and listens to your problem.

Also, he will tell you that you might get 0% improvement. He guarantees nothing as there are a lot of variables when it comes to noise. That was the bit that had me nervous but I had to go for it and it was well worth it in the end. It's 6-7 months(ish) on now since I got it done and its like another lifetime ago that I had all those problems.

All the best with it. I hope it goes well for you. Good that you read the thread because if you get it done you'll most probably be nervous like I was and be listening out for stuff when you should just be relaxing!

Just how noisy are the kids by the way? I'm presuming it's a serious problem but can you hear them all over the house or just in one room?

Theyre a noisy bunch,theres 3/4 of them and theyre up at ridiculous hours(for an adult).They tend to run around the room and shout at each other.Theres constant screaming-that high pitched childs scream-which infuriates me.Im not an old ogre who hates kids,just kids at 5am.

Its primarily in the upstairs front room of the house ,where i just so happen to sleep and where the kids seem to sleep so im hoping ill just need the one wall tended to.Im hoping Ted can help ,if not its a long time to wait til theyve grown and moved out.

Im hoping to drown out the screaming/vocal noise -that would be a godsend.Im aware of the fact that impact noises are hard to prevent but those noises are in the minority.

thanks again for your imput

Advertisement