Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT

• 07-02-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Did anyone ever not receive a notice for a test?

Basically a car owned by a family member was sold last year to another family member.

Now the original family member has since moved house BUT there is a redirection in place. Also it has been in the other persons name and address for a year now.

My question would be is it possible for the NCT to make a mistake and not send one out or do their records get updated when a car changes ownership.

It expired in January of this year and you know how easy it is for people to not think of these things, it was only realised when fixing a stone chip!:)

Just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I didnt receive a notification for my NCT test, had to look it up/book myself

on the other hand a family member received their notification

It seems they send some out and others not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks Merch,

I suppose though if they forget to book the test they get in trouble and blaming the NCT for not sending it out in the mail will not wash!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I didn't recieve a notice myself. Claiming ignorance won't work as it's the duty of the driver/owner to make sure of these things.

I'd book online if I were you. It's quicker and you have more flexibility in choosing time & dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Like yawns says it is the responsibility of the owner, so no dont think that would fly
    Its handy to book online, if not online Im sure their is a phone number you can book up, look it up online lol:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Don't think I've ever got a notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Never got a notice myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

The old crowd who used to do the NCT stopped sending out notices a couple of years in - I only received notice for my first one. For some reason though, people sporadically got a notice, others didn't.

I'm not sure what the policy of the new people who have taken over NCT contract is - I didn't get a notice for my January NCT but they only took over properly in the latter part of last year so might not have had time to bring in changes... or they may just be as slack as the last not and not be sending out notifications.

Anyway though, as mentioned above it is your 'duty' to have car certified and you can't use non notification as a defense...although I don't think the Gardai are being to strict on it given the waiting lists there were as I was a month late on mine and got through a few checkpoints (tax checks etc.) ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭carab

I've never had a notice either. Like already mentioned, you can book online or if you want it quicker, you can ring and ask for a cancellation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

if you phone them first thing in the morning, they can usually get you booked in for later that day if there are cancellations available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks Lads!

It was just I and all family members always in the past received the letter in the mail informing us of upcoming tests even last year I got one.

I'll give them a call so.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah they stopped sending them out long ago.
    It won't work to blame them if you're stopped by Garda.

I actually forgot it myself until I was checking my discs for the tax a couple weeks back. Booked in for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mine was up last month and I have to wait until March 23rd for my test! Booked it on friday when I noticed it while stopped at traffic lights :O

Advertisement