Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Rio the right choice for england captain

• 07-02-2010 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭

Okay this has been brought up quite a few times over the weekend. Is he the right man for job. For me i don't think so. The failure to turn up for drugs test (for which he served a ban) does not look good on his CV. But on plus side it takes the pressure of Gerrard and Lampard.

Should Rio have been given the English Captaincy 32 votes

yes
    0%
    no
    100%
    RasTaastrofoolPHBT-b0n3lordgoatDiddy KongJazzyMr.Nice GuyDayshamerlinsmerrymanPaul TergatleninbenjaminironictoasterelgriffColumbiakryogenMagicMarkerKev_ps3MIN2511miralize 32 votes

Comments

Only time will tell.

The missed drugs test shouldn't be an issue imo.

I hope for his sake he has no other skeletons in his closet as the tabloids will be searching for another exclusive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

no
    Someone's been watching Sunday Supplement. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Who cares really? He's shown he's capable of doing the job at the biggest club in the country so I suppose it's natural progression to get the national gig..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Someone's been watching Sunday Supplement. :)
    have that taped. Watched earlier part of programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

no
    A missed drugs test is not proof of guilt, rather it fails to prove innocence. Rio as vice-captain and was the natural choice since I suspect Capello doesn't view him as a long-term captain but Rooney is still a season or two away from being right for the job.
    Gerrard is a good captain in the 'lead by example' sense and since his performances for England have been sporadic, I wouldn't have chosen him for the captaincy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Gerrard is a good captain in the 'lead by example' sense and since his performances for England have been sporadic, I wouldn't have chosen him for the captaincy.

Gerrard is terrible captain material. Withdrawn, introspective, moody with a whiney Scouce accent which would bamboozle the international media in a World Cup year.

Lampard is articulate, smart and almost never been in any trouble that I can think of.

As for Rio Ferdinand nope, too many silly blots on his copybook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I wouldn't have given the captaincy to Rio. A year ago, he would have been in my opinion the outstanding candidate for the job. However, he hasn't played a lot of football this season and when he has played, he hasn't been at his best.

I don't think what he has done in the past would be too much of a factor for me. Instead it would be that I'd want a captain who is guaranteed a starting place in my team, and with Rio's injury problems I don't think that he is.

If I was Capello, I'd have gone for Lampard. Yes, it would be strange given that Terry is captain at Chelsea, but I can't really think of any better candidate for the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Where is the I don't give a fúck option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CHD wrote: »

its the 'don't bother posting or voting on it then' option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

no
    Can't give the captaincy to Lampard, because he's not sure he's going to play him. Only people absolutely guaranteed to play in the England team,

Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Rooney.

Everybody else is up for grabs, so it's gotta be from one of those, or else he's gotta decide on a formation and system to accomodate a captain.

From that list, he's the best choice.

• Advertisement

no
    Lampard doesn't deserve it because he's anonymous in an England shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

A missed drugs test is not proof of guilt, rather it fails to prove innocence. Rio as vice-captain and was the natural choice since I suspect Capello doesn't view him as a long-term captain but Rooney is still a season or two away from being right for the job.

A missed drugs test is an offence of itself. He was guilty of a drugs offence. Whether he had taken anything was not the issue, but the presumption that most people would come to is that if he was clean he would have simply taken the test and carried on, rather than escaping over the training ground wall.

its the 'don't bother posting or voting on it then' option.
    That option isn't there, maybe your fellow United fans will thank your post and make you feel special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

no
    United fans say yes, Liverpool fans say no. Other fans don't give a flying f*ck.

How could they give it to Lampard?

He still gets boo'd by sections of the England fans ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is Roy Keane inelegible as he would have the makings of a good Captain for England at the World cup:eek:

The way he can get a group of people to pull together and get on with the task in hand is remarkable.

As I do not think that Roy would be allowed to do the job I hope that the England Captain does as good a job as Roy did in Saipan.

no
    blinding wrote: »
    Is Roy Keane inelegible as he would have the makings of a good Captain for England at the World cup:eek:

The way he can get a group of people to pull together and get on with the task in hand is remarkable.

As I do not think that Roy would be allowed to do the job I hope that the England Captain does as good a job as Roy did in Saipan.
    ffs

Less than 20 posts and we get to this bollocks.

ffs

Less than 20 posts and we get to this bollocks.
    Roy would not appreciate being called a bollocks on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Alright lads, let's leave Royston out of this, even though I did laugh at that response above.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

no
    That option isn't there, maybe your fellow United fans will thank your post and make you feel special.

The fact you opened the thread would imply that you do care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,366 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The fact you opened the thread would imply that you do care.

Maybe some people would rather show their indifference just like those who would like to show their Yes or No answers

If not Rio who though ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

If you're that nonchalant about the topic, don't bother posting in here then. I never understood the crowd of people that love to express their lack of an opinion on certain topics. If you're going to say you don't give a sh*t, you could at least share why you don't? I'm sure there'd be alot of merits to that debate instead of just saying you 'don't give a ****'....

For what it's worth, I think if Lampard was guaranteed a starting place I think he'd rightfully be captain, but seeing as his place isn't 100% assured, then Rio is a great choice. Just look at Manchester United's CL campaign in 2007/2008 for proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Missing a drugs test because you "forgot and went shopping instead" is a perfect example of why he shouldn't be captain. If he can't be relied upon to show up at a routine drugs test that could have resulted in a two-year ban, how can he be relied upon to captain his country?

If I wanted someone pranked, yeah - then maybe Rio. He always reminds me of the nice but simple kid who gets easily led by older kids in the classroom.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The way people carry on about the armband, you would swear it gave you superpowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If you want a captain who leads by example on the field then Stevie G is the man.

A chap who can single handedly take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Name me another player in the England team who can do that ?

His never say say die attitude should be lauded.

His performances in the CL were reminiscent of Roy Keane.

The big question is can he bring it to the National team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

no
    He was appointed Vice-Captain a couple of years ago when Capello chose to stick with Terry so yes he is the correct choice.

What would be the point in appointing a Vice-Captain if when the regular Captain isn't able to wear armband the manager doesn't chose him? :rolleyes:

no
    redout wrote: »
    Name me another player in the England team who can do that ?

rooney-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

rooney-thumb.jpg

Rooney aint captain material as yet.

I should have been more clear.

I was referring to players who would actually be selected by Capeelo as captain.

I honestly believe Rooney wouldnt even enter Capellos thoughts in that regard.

I reckon Rooney could be a good bet to be captain after Rio in 2/3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

no
    He's not a great choice, and the reasons for that are obvious, but in the sense that he's probably the best choice that they've got, I had to vote yes.

no
    redout wrote: »
    Rooney aint captain material as yet.

I should have been more clear.

I was referring to players who would actually be selected by Capeelo as captain.

I honestly believe Rooney wouldnt even enter Capellos thoughts in that regard.

I reckon Rooney could be a good bet to be captain after Rio in 2/3 years.
    Rooney has captained England before.

I think Rooney, even now, would be a better captain than Gerrard, but I agree he's too young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

no
    Gerrard's position in the team isn't guaranteed, and thus, unless Capello wants to limit himself in terms of selection, he can't pick him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

no
    Captaincy is an overrated doodaa... Rio will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

PHB wrote: »
    Gerrard's position in the team isn't guaranteed, and thus, unless Capello wants to limit himself in terms of selection, he can't pick him.

It is, in fairness, guaranteed. He'd play him at RB to accommodate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

no
    Gerrard hasn't merited the captaincy this season, in my opinion.* He's been walking around in a sulk most of the season, and that's just not what a captain does.

*Disclaimer: I'm an Everton fan :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

no
    Yes

eZe^ wrote: »
    If you're that nonchalant about the topic, don't bother posting in here then. I never understood the crowd of people that love to express their lack of an opinion on certain topics. If you're going to say you don't give a sh*t, you could at least share why you don't? I'm sure there'd be alot of merits to that debate instead of just saying you 'don't give a ****'....

For what it's worth, I think if Lampard was guaranteed a starting place I think he'd rightfully be captain, but seeing as his place isn't 100% assured, then Rio is a great choice. Just look at Manchester United's CL campaign in 2007/2008 for proof.
    Last time I checked its a discussion forum, I expressed my feelings on it. Nothing wrong with saying I don't care much for it. I don't have to stay out of the thread because I'm not giving a long post about why I couldn't careless. If people don't like what I say they can ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

no
    Last time I checked its a discussion forum, I expressed my feelings on it. Nothing wrong with saying I don't care much for it. I don't have to stay out of the thread because I'm not giving a long post about why I couldn't careless. If people don't like what I say they can ignore it.

I think people think you're being aloof about it because you're sick that Terry, your Chelski captain, lost the gig for being a pr*ck to his team mates. Unless you want to elaborate further on why you don't care, then everyone will needle you on why, assuming the above is the answer, after all, you took the time to post on the thread.

Of course, you may not have the testicular fortitude to formulate an answer, and try and pass it off by being aloof again, but you've already responded to the thread that you don't care about.

Rio was the best choice of those available. Gerrard as England captain would be a bigger disaster than Ashley's takeover of Newcastle United. Lampard isn't a guaranteed starter, and Rooney will have enough pressure this summer.

you're sick that Terry, your Chelski captain, lost the gig for being a pr*ck to his team mates

I read as far as this. lol sir.

I couldn't careless, the annoying thing is the media and the idiots who listen to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

no
    I read as far as this. lol sir.

I couldn't careless, the annoying thing is the media and the idiots who listen to them.

think you proved his point with another aloof post.

ya see its about principles.... ya know, those things that John Terry doesnt have :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

The problem with this England captaincy thing is the effin media.
    Dirt can be dug up on any (most?) of the players if the press try hard enough.
    Then there is the fan hatred and the a-holes will dig up any little bit of crap they can to be negative.(Rio being associated with some rapist from his leeds days will be the next storie to resurface-Im surprised no one has mentioned it yet)
    The same will be for any of the rest- questioned over rape-roasting-nightclub brawl-prostitutes etc etc etc
    So it doesnt really matter and as CHD stated earlier 'who really cares?'

Advertisement