Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Spring Water?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Gunth wrote: »
    Hi Rawbina,

I would completely disagree that if water is cold that it is safe to drink especially from a source that has not been checked for impurities and also taking water from a source that is not secure and protected from interference. Have you analysed a sample to determine the chemical and microbiological composition?

Definately agree with Gunth there. Some of Southern groundwaters have high Nitrate and sometimes faecal colliforms, depending on the intensity/ quality of Agricultural practice in the area. Usually a well like that would have been analysed, if you fish about you'd be surprised what you'd find. GSI.ie or EPA.ie often have decent data....Worth being careful with your health.....:D

Rawbina wrote: »
    Paranoia is not my guiding force. Education and awareness are, I have done a lot research.

Rawbina wrote: »
    The water is always freezing cold (even on hot days) when I get it which indicates it is safe- nature regulates the temperature to cold so no bacteria can exist in it.

Are you for real?

Basically you reckon tap water in Cork is recycled toilet water and you are instead going to drink from wells from recommendations on an internet forum from folks whose background in such matters is not known to you.

chuckle chuckle

btw, I worked in water treatment for a while and from what you have posted in this thread it is evident that you know very close to sfa about drinking water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Finding a sandwich in a field is not a good reason to eat it.. Water is not much more sensible.
    I personally love wild foods especially shellfish, but I don't believe its safer medically to collect them.
    similarly I have drank from quite a few wells and streams, but find it ridiculous to assume that "nature is healthier". Nature was not built to keep humans healthy. Tap water is clean and safe in ireland, and anyone who believes otherwise simply has no idea of or respect for the regulations enforced to keep it that way.
    bottled water on the other hand has to meet no such set of safety standards, which is only acceptable because bottled water IS tap water. All bottled water is bought from existing domestic supplies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

mawk wrote: »
    Finding a sandwich in a field is not a good reason to eat it.. Water is not much more sensible.
    I personally love wild foods especially shellfish, but I don't believe its safer medically to collect them.
    similarly I have drank from quite a few wells and streams, but find it ridiculous to assume that "nature is healthier". Nature was not built to keep humans healthy. Tap water is clean and safe in ireland, and anyone who believes otherwise simply has no idea of or respect for the regulations enforced to keep it that way.
    bottled water on the other hand has to meet no such set of safety standards, which is only acceptable because bottled water IS tap water. All bottled water is bought from existing domestic supplies.

In fairness, when our water supply is contaminated intentionally, by monkeys, with a toxic chemical (fluoride) and its industrial byproducts (i.e. arsenic) then you can't blame people for seeking alternatives. The regulations you speak of were devised based on (now proven) false scientific assumptions about human health. Strangely the practice of toxifying public water continues. For good information check out a decent Irish medical perspective

http://www.ideaireland.org/fluoridation.htm

We are, for the time being, very lucky to live in a country where small subset of our surface and groundwaters haven't being completely ruined. The air, soil, water, and biological tissues are riddled with persistent organic pollutants. To add insult to human injury, we add stupid stuff like fluoride to water and put epoxide steroidal modifiers in plastic bottles. In a few years water access, and not water quality will be the issue. The quality will be gone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Would you see Ray Mears drinking straight from a stream or well!

I grew up in the countryside, we had our own well and I know of many "natural springs/wells" where you could drink. However also from being from the countryside I know that you can't trust where the water is coming from. Our own well got contaminated a couple of times due to excess rainfall! Luckily we got our water tested a few times and it was relatively quite good.

Regarding springs/wells, todays farming practices are far more different and intensive than they were 40 years ago, let alone 90 years ago. Agricultural pollution accounts for most of the nitrates in our waters.
    I'd boil the water unless you get it tested and its potable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement