Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Clingy Golden Retriever Puppy

Options
  • 07-02-2010 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi everyone. We recently bought a 2-month-old Golden Retriever pup (yesterday morning, actually.) Thus far, he's been more or less the perfect dog - he has a wonderful temperament, is a very quick learner, very friendly, no signs of aggression etc - BUT he's extremely clingy. He hates being on his own and is always following one of us around. If he's left outside without any of the family members, he gets extremely agitated and starts barking, whimpering and howling loudly, and won't stop until someone eventually goes out to him.

I'm just wondering, is this normal behaviour for a young puppy? If not, can you give any advice on how we might sort out the problem? As I said already, he's a wonderful pet, but obviously we have neither the time nor the energy to give him full-on attention all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Its pretty normal, he's just a baby and 24 hours ago you took him away from his whole family, and the only life he's ever known.
    It will improve, its just the shock of his whole world changing. Give it a few days, make sure he's comfortable and happy in his new home, then start leaving the room when he's busy playing or distracted by things. Just wait a couple of minutes and return, but don't make a big fuss. Gradually build up time alone.
    As for the outside bit, if you want to house train him you should be going out with him and praising him for going outside, he will learn that outside means good. I wouldn't be leaving that young a pup outside alone just yet.
    Don't reward the howling(by going out to him) as it will only get worse, try not to let it get to that, maybe if he's outside and see's no one there and you think its about to start call him or distract him somehow, give him a toy or something to chew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Thanks for the advice! I know such a dramatic change must be traumatic for a young puppy, but I was just worried that if I give him loads of attention in the early days he'll get accustomed too much to it and won't be able to cope later on when everyone's at work/out of the house. Hopefully he'll gradually get used to being alone though if I leave him alone for short periods of time. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

Babies, of all species, are clingy...In the current climate of Dog Napping, i would definitely not leave him outside unattended...:eek:

Dogs Trust have very good puppy training leaflets for downloading on their UK website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our golden is like this too at times - he's 7 months tomorrow. We can't leave him alone in the kitchen because he's big enough to 'counter surf' now! :rolleyes::pac:

Advertisement