Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help thingy hanging out - UPDATED

Options
  • 07-02-2010 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all looking for advice, Marley my puggle last night decided to hump his material bed now the thing is when i came in to the room his thingy (penis) was hanging out, now i just thought that was normal, so he went into his bed this thing still exposed, woke up this morning still the same, the thing is im really worried this thing is huge for such a small dog, and he is in pain he cant sit down, i asked my neighbour this morning about this and when he seen it he said he needs the vet, now i have been trying the emergency mobile but no answer so while im waiting thought i would ask you guys thanks for any help.
    Very worried pet owner
    UPDATE:Marley has come around from general anestectic vet keeping him till tomorrow, he is on antibiotics and anti inflamortories had a little stitch thanks for all your concern, will update tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yep, definitely vet time. Have you tried pulling the sheath back over it? (Gently!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where are you based? There's an emergency vet clinic in Dublin at the UCD Vet School on the N11 at Belfield that's open 24hrs a day all weekend .. call them on 1890 564 036 even if you aren't local and they can at least give you some advice over the phone as to how serious they think it is, and if you are local to them you can take your dog in any time. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 donna1000

Yep, definitely vet time. Have you tried pulling the sheath back over it? (Gently!!!)
    Oh god i could'nt im scared he really is in pain, husband ringing UCD now

Alun wrote: »
    Where are you based? There's an emergency vet clinic in Dublin at the UCD Vet School on the N11 at Belfield that's open 24hrs a day all weekend .. call them on 1890 564 036 even if you aren't local and they can at least give you some advice over the phone as to how serious they think it is, and if you are local to them you can take your dog in any time. Good luck.
    Thanks a mill, we are in Roscommon, husband just rang UCD they were great said he really needs vet, cant get hold of ours :mad: ringing around now to find another vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Good Luck, poor little fella. All the same, it's amazing the size of the things, esp on a small dog :eek: Let us know how he gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

donna1000 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, we are in Roscommon, husband just rang UCD they were great said he really needs vet, cant get hold of ours :mad: ringing around now to find another vet.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

oh the poor thing ,,hope he's ok:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

I feel bad for laughing

Hi all thanks for your concern and help, Marley has gone to the vets the vet was amazed he said he has hasd a prolaspe, he has sedated him and going to hopefully put it back in, now the vet has said it is trying to keep it back in that is the problem, vet also cannot understand it that he has been neutered, oh god im so worried it was really hard leaving him at the vets, can you beleive it our vet is still not answering his phone.
    i will keep you informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Glad to hear you got him medical attention. Go easy on your own vet, everyone deserves a day off.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you got him medical attention. Go easy on your own vet, everyone deserves a day off.
    Ah yeah, you no yourself when its someone you care so much for an you cannot get hold of them, anyway just had a phone call from my own vet he was in mass so therefore could not answer his phone, god now i do feel bad slagging him.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

well at least hes in the right hands now and hopfully all will go well for him.:)

joyce2009 wrote: »
    well at least hes in the right hands now and hopfully all will go well for him.:)
    Thanks Joyce, trying to keep busy im heartbroken, vet said he will ring around 6 ish, oh god i hope he will be ok the vet really could not reassure me he said we will wait and see?

Thanks Joyce, trying to keep busy im heartbroken, vet said he will ring around 6 ish, oh god i hope he will be ok the vet really could not reassure me he said we will wait and see?
    101655.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

oh no its that little fella!!!! I remember you posting pics of him a while back (when I was votejohn), i LOVE puggles!

Hope he's ok, def keep us updated!

Hi all, Marley had his stitch out of his thingy today, now the vet has told me that this does not usually happen to dogs that have been neutered, he said i would have to get a behaviour therapist, what do you all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well, our dog is neutered but he still gets the occasional erection (for no apparent reason) ...no prolapse though, thankfully.

I'm not really convinced that there is much a behaviourist can do.

Marley loves to hump anything, the vet is saying he is doing it out of behaviour, really did not want to go down the behaviourist route had one before for our old dog who was having problems on the lead and she said he had a learning disability and we should put him down, unfortunatly we lost our beloved cisse to last year.

Marley loves to hump anything

Then make him stop. You don't really need a behaviourist for that. Just tell him no, take away whatever he humps (or alternatively remove the dog in case of larger "lovers" :D) and be consistent about it.

Best is to stop him just before he starts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

vet also cannot understand it that he has been neutered

Male canids are the only animals that have a bulb or locking bulbus, it's a bone that keeps it erect. You vet must have been sick from dog mickey day in school. I'm amazed.

• Advertisement

Every time Marley brings anything in from his room he humps it, i do take it of him, i have tried to ignore him, i have tried to distact him by giving him his small toy or ball?

Every time Marley brings anything in from his room he humps it, i do take it of him, i have tried to ignore him, i have tried to distact him by giving him his small toy or ball?

Stop being nice to him ...take it away, tell him off in a stern voice (and mean it!), be consistent, and don't forget to reward good/wanted behaviour

Give him clear, unmistakable signals and he'll cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I agree with peasant, you are top dog, what you say goes. This young dog needs a pack leader, this has to be your role. The dog will feel more comfortable when boundries are set.

peasant wrote: »
    Stop being nice to him ...take it away, tell him off in a stern voice (and mean it!), be consistent, and don't forget to reward good/wanted behaviour

Give him clear, unmistakable signals and he'll cop on
    Thanks a mill for the advice, shall do it just wanted thoughts on the behaviour route, and if it was behavioural.
    Thanks again boards.

Advertisement