Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americans Baptists filled with the Holy Spirit. And Cream Cakes!

• 07-02-2010 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hi folks!

Check this out:

"Christians are fatter than other Americans. One of several studies revealing this, published by a Purdue University team in 2006, found that 30 percent of Baptists are obese, followed by 22 percent of Pentecostals and 17 percent of Catholics, compared to only 1 percent of Jews and 0.7 percent of Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists. According to the Journal of the Southern Baptist Convention, health screenings were given at the SBC's 2005 annual meeting: Over 75 percent of its 1,472 participants were found to be significantly overweight.
    It makes sense that some within the movement would want to restore health to the flock. Gluttony, after all, is a sin. But how do you persuade religious Christians to adopt a dietary regimen that has been beloved by hippies for 30-plus years and by polytheists for thousands? The very fact that "health food" is an alt-culture staple is enough to taint it in the eyes of some. How do you convince them to switch their Sunday hams for lettuce-lentil roll-ups? By telling them the Bible says they must."

http://atheistnews.blogs.fi/2010/02/06/christians-are-fatter-than-other-americans-7958297/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Blessed are the fat, for they shall inherit heart disease...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Dades wrote: »
    Blessed are the fat, for they shall inherit heart disease...

Blessed are the cheese-makers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I find it surprising that the rate is so low among Buddhists. I mean look at Buddah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Galvasean wrote: »
    I find it surprising that the rate is so low among Buddhists. I mean look at Buddah!

Most Buddhists aren't like Buddah, just like most Christians aren't at all like Christ. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

While it is fun to poke .. er .. fun, I imagine there is more of a socio-economic explanation going on here than merely religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Wicknight wrote: »
    While it is fun to poke .. er .. fun, I imagine there is more of a socio-economic explanation going on here than merely religion.
    The article does imply that. I personally have a hard time imagining the likes of Jerry Falwell eating anything other than steaks and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Mmmmm sacrelicious....

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Antbert

Wicknight wrote: »
    I think I'd prefer to poke fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

This just in, a vision of Christ has appeared in the neck rolls of a Pastor in Texas!
    Over to Rick who has more, Rick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Xluna wrote: »
    Mmmmm sacrelicious....

Ah, back when the simpsons was still funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement