Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definitive 100 Discussion - Part 9 (with voting)

Options
  • 07-02-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

Our penultimate list to vote on:

(081) Feast (2005)
    (082) Xtro (1983)
    (083) Zombie Holocaust (AKA Dr Butcher MD) (1980)
    (084) Demon Seed (1977)
    (085) A L'Intérieur [Inside] (2007)
    (086) Freaks (1932)
    (087) Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    (088) Hostel (2005)
    (089) The Changeling (1980)
    (090) The Others (2001)

Poll will run for 10 days and please only vote on the movies you have seen.
    Will add my own thoughts on the ones that I have seen later.

Which movies should stay or go? 71 votes

Stay: Feast
    0% 0 votes
    Go: Feast
    7% 5 votes
    Stay: Xtro
    1% 1 vote
    Go: Xtro
    5% 4 votes
    Stay: Zombie Holocaust
    1% 1 vote
    Go: Zombie Holocaust
    7% 5 votes
    Stay: Demon Seed
    2% 2 votes
    Go: Demon Seed
    8% 6 votes
    Stay:A L'Intérieur [Inside]
    0% 0 votes
    Go:A L'Intérieur [Inside]
    5% 4 votes
    Stay: Freaks
    2% 2 votes
    Go: Freaks
    9% 7 votes
    Stay: Return of the Living Dead
    0% 0 votes
    Go: Return of the Living Dead
    8% 6 votes
    Stay: Hostel
    5% 4 votes
    Go: Hostel
    11% 8 votes
    Stay: The Changeling
    7% 5 votes
    Go: The Changeling
    8% 6 votes
    Stay: The Others
    0% 0 votes
    Go: The Others
    7% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

(081) Feast (2005)
    Havnt seen but have heard its good fun

(082) Xtro (1983)
    Highly enjoyable little romp with some genuinely creepy moments

Italian zombie gorefest including one of the best zombie deaths ever,the speedboat motor blade to the face

(084) Demon Seed (1977)
    Havnt seen for a long time

Outstanding slasher movie once again proving how far ahead European horror is of its American counterpart

(086) Freaks (1932)
    Classic from Browning,unnerving pretty shocking

Meh,very cheesey

(088) Hostel (2005)
    I thoroughly enjoy this movie every time I view it.A breath of fresh air in terms of plot and some super cringey gore moments

So long since I seen it I couldnt comment

(090) The Others (2001)
    Load of bollocks,go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

(081) Feast (2005) - haven't seen

(082) Xtro (1983)
    Loved this - very strange plot but a classic 80's horror.. stay

(083) Zombie Holocaust (AKA Dr Butcher MD) (1980) - haven't seen
    (084) Demon Seed (1977) - haven't seen
    (085) A L'Intérieur [Inside] (2007) - haven't seen

(086) Freaks (1932)
    The last scene in this film still 'freaks' me out.. stay!

Again, another good one from the 80's.. stay

(088) Hostel (2005)
    Didn't live up to the hype, but good concept.. stay

(089) The Changeling (1980) - haven't seen

(090) The Others (2001)
    Good atmospheric horror where the tension builds up slowly and doesn't rely on gore for the scares.. stay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I've seen very little of the films here but what I can definitely vouch for is that Return of the Living Dead should go. As much as I could enjoy watching the film I can't see myself suggesting it to someone who asks me for a decent horror movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I have yet to see Freaks or Xemon Seed... the idea of Demon Seed has been putting me off, putting me off... I have a while to kill, so may stick it on now :)

Of the others, I'm asking The Others, Hostel, Return of the Living Dead to leave. I didn't care much for Hostel at all, The Others reminded me too much of The Turn of The Screw which is already a good film (forget the title, though...), and ROTLD is too comedy for this list, fantastic film that it is!

Ooh, Demon Seed is written by Dean Koontz! Deadly...

edit - I would have voted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Return of the living dead is somewhat of a comedy...but its also an great zombie movie...it stays!!!!

Feast - Thought this was pretty good for 2005, on a low budget too i think.

Xtro - Love it! Remember it been all over the place and having the sh*t scared out of me as it legged it across the road...niiice!

Zombie Holocaust - Dying to see this one. Ian McCulloch from Zombie Fleash Eaters and Contamination is in this one. The 3 movies that he was in that got banned in the UK :P

Return of the Living Dead - Great zombie flick - stay!

Hostel - Alot of people would disagree but think Hostel has a place in top 100. Was the start of the western all-out gross-out horror flicks.

The Others - This one didnt do much for me...meh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

I've actually only seen 3 of the ones in this list :( Return of Living Dead, Hostel and The Others............ and I'm voting all 3 to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

(081) Feast (2005)
    liked it stay

(082) Xtro (1983)
    not seen

not seen

(084) Demon Seed (1977)
    not seen

not seen

(086) Freaks (1932)
    not seen

stay, liked it despite the chease

(088) Hostel (2005)
    great horror, stay

So long since I seen it I couldnt comment

(090) The Others (2001)
    not seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm shocked that people are saying Return of the Living Dead, Hostel and The Others should go.

Return of the Living Dead is an absolute classic. I hate this idea that some people seem to suggest that if a Horror film has a sense of humour, or element of comedy, that it can't be considered a horror film. Balderdash I say! It's going back to the argument we were having in another thread, with people saying that Alien isn't a horror film because of the Science Fiction setting. RotLD is one of the very finest examples of Horror/Comedy, a hugely enjoyable film. It should absolutely stay.

Hostel, while many dislike the trend of cheap cash-ins that were started by Hostel and Saw, it is still an absolutely great example of a gore film done well, and stands head and shoulders above peers and cash-ins. It's a tremendously tense peice, and I for one loved it. Stay!

The Others, I'm truly disappointed that people are voting this one out. Yes, it's not that original, but in terms of how the story is told, how the atmosphere is slowly built, it's a model for how a great ghost story should come across on screen; brooding, atmospheric, and tense. It remains one of my favourite horror films of the 00's because of that. Stay for the love of god!

I'm shocked that people are saying Return of the Living Dead, Hostel and The Others should go.

Return of the Living Dead is an absolute classic. I hate this idea that some people seem to suggest that if a Horror film has a sense of humour, or element of comedy, that it can't be considered a horror film. Balderdash I say! It's going back to the argument we were having in another thread, with people saying that Alien isn't a horror film because of the Science Fiction setting. RotLD is one of the very finest examples of Horror/Comedy, a hugely enjoyable film. It should absolutely stay.

Hostel, while many dislike the trend of cheap cash-ins that were started by Hostel and Saw, it is still an absolutely great example of a gore film done well, and stands head and shoulders above peers and cash-ins. It's a tremendously tense peice, and I for one loved it. Stay!

The Others, I'm truly disappointed that people are voting this one out. Yes, it's not that original, but in terms of how the story is told, how the atmosphere is slowly built, it's a model for how a great ghost story should come across on screen; brooding, atmospheric, and tense. It remains one of my favourite horror films of the 00's because of that. Stay for the love of god!

RotLD is just too much of a cheesefest for me, I've voted aliens and shaun of dead to stay as they crossed genres expertly. Although i enjoyed RotLD for what it was, it's just not on my top 100 list.

Hostel just left me cold, no like or dislike for any of the characters...... looking clinically at its effects, cinematography, etc it probably should stay... not connecting with any of the characters is what put me off it.

For the others, maybe its coz i;m not that fond of nicole as an actress; but again didnt empathize with her character at all and hence the tension / atmosphere is lost on me :(

The result of the last couple of polls are starting to provide some interesting results tho :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Of the 3 Karl mentioned I only voted The Others to go,simply because it was,in my humble,crap.

ROTLD,while cheesy,is still an enjoyable movie.Of that franchise part 3 is still my fave by a long way.

I have and will always defend Hostel.I enjoyed it the first time I watched it and whenever I throw it on I enjoy it aswell.It was a different slant on the slasher premise,had some truly dislikeable characters and also sported some wonderfully gooey effects,definite stay for me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ned, can you explain what is 'crap' about the Others?
    MudSkipper wrote: »
    For the others, maybe its coz i;m not that fond of nicole as an actress; but again didnt empathize with her character at all and hence the tension / atmosphere is lost on me :(

I think you might have missed something when watching The Others, since it was the children that we were to empathize with, and Nicole Kidman plays her role subtly antagonistic, being somewhat of a cruel mother and scornful to the servants.
    Which, we find out at the end of the film, she's really the villain of the piece who murdered her children and then killer herself. It's nicely hinted at throughout, and Kidman played her character very well. But not someone we were to empathize with either.

Wonderful child actors in the film as well, I think they really played their parts very well.

Ned, can you explain what is 'crap' about the Others?

I think you might have missed something when watching The Others, since it was the children that we were to empathize with, and Nicole Kidman plays her role subtly antagonistic, being somewhat of a cruel mother and scornful to the servants.

Wonderful child actors in the film as well, I think they really played their parts very well.

Empathize was probably the wrong word to use in my last post :o Didn't miss that she is the antagonist/villain of the piece, only highlighted Nicole as she's the big name in it :) But same as hostel I just didn't feel anything for any of the characters.

I usually enjoy the ones with a slow building brooding atmosphere, for example 'a tale of two sisters' (which is definitely staying on the list) does it much better for me.

I rank The Others as one of the few films that is a genuine ghost story. It's not that it has a supernatural element or tales of the unknown,it's and out and out old fashioned ghost story and watching it is like sitting around a campfire.

ROTLD I vote out based on the afformentioned cheese rather than the humour. The humour is fine and as Karl said, the inclusion of humour shouldn't exclude a film from the genre but to me ROTLD is just not that good a film to be among the top 100. Enjoyabe yes, top notch no.

I cannot believe Return of the Living Dead is in and The Others is out! Won't complin though, such is the nature of this compilation that differences of opinion will arise!

Advertisement