Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I wish I had my faith back

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dean820 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's other things but I can't think of them now. But is there anyone else here who's annoyed they don't have faith anymore?

Kind of, faith once gave me a lot of comfort. When bad things would happen or people would do bad things to me, I used to just tell myself "God will reward me one day." I know someone might say isn't it good though to know you control your own destiny and have free will. Not really, because socio-economic factors limit the scope to which someone can live to their full potential. I used to think that all I needed to do was be a good person and that God would eventually give me the things I wanted. Once I stopped believing however, I saw my realistic life chances in the cold light of day for the first time.

Also, there's the death aspect, all of a sudden you go from thinking you'll be with your loved ones for eternity to realising you have so few years left with them.

So yeah, basically, life has just been that little bit more ****tier ever since I lost my faith. I know that's not the deal for everyone, but we're all different people with different circumstances in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

duvlinia wrote: »
    The care nurse told us it was very common also.

Sorry about your loss but that pretty much says it all. At the best of times, the human brain is prone to delusional thoughts and experiences, so it doesn't surpise me that in a time of such emotional stress that can be multiplied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

duvlinia wrote: »
    But its there. I have witnessed it.

Here we have it ladies and gentlemen. The one, single greatest reason that religion exists and is so powerful. Someone lost their father, whom they loved very much, and they do not want to believe that person no longer exists.

I am genuinely sorry for your loss Duvlinia, but it far more reasonable to conclude that a grief stricken mind reached out for hope and took whatever was offered, rather than you some how experiencing a fantastical existence beyond this, the only one we've ever known.

It is truly regrettable that such an understandable and seemingly harmless chain of thought has created the divisive and inhuman behemoths that are modern religions. If it went no further than this, a harmless comfort, then I would be a far more silent atheist.

Advertisement