Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crowds In Pubs! Why?

• 07-02-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

So I was out saturday night,

And we went out early for a change, the lads were meeting in geoffs and i stupidly said i'd meet them in there. Now my feelings of the place aside it was mentally hot, i mean i was cooking. My question is do you go to these mad busy pubs ”early” on a sat night and if so why?

It was the same in kazbar and revs.

I'm not an old man, least not really. I enjoy a chat with the lads before harveys. I just dont see the point it a nightclub type pub.

Am I alone? Or is this soon to be married life catching up with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

hate all the packed places myself mate! much prefer somewhere to sit down have a chat and a laugh! then when ur drunk head to harvey"s or watever, i think them places are more for the lads that are on the pull etc in saying that me and my mates just hav a few at home and head in for a late one to a band i havent graced rubys for many a year or even been to escape and im only 26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Why not try Phil Grimes? It's close enough to town but never gets anywhere near as busy as Geoffs, Harveys etc. The drink is good, not too expensive and the staff are very friendly in there. If I'm ever out on Saturday night but just looking for a good chat over a pint or two like yourself, then that's where I'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I hate crowded pubs. Much rather a place where I can have a sit down and a feed of pints without having to fight my way to the bar. Im only 26 but much rather drinking with all the ould fellas in a pub. I go to harveys sometimes. Town is to costly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

See if it were up to me alone i wouldn't set foot in harveys or at least i'd stay in the smoking area as i sometimes do in the summer.

I think harveys is the best late night option in town but truth be told its only really the girls in the group and the single lads WANT to go there.

I enjoy myself ones i'm there espically if we get a table. Just saying again I cant understand the logic of say going to the kazbar which in my opinion feels the exact same as a busy nightclub only to move onto rubys or escape.

I'd like to see escape but i know i'd be in there for 15min and go next door to hillbillies for a chicken wrap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,636 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Good pubs to go in the town.

Sals and Murphys on the Quay. not too crowded in there.

The Manision House
    The Tap Room
    Phil Grimes.

Love to go to pubs more often but at 20 the nightclubs are the thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I believe we had something along the lines of this discussion last night.

I was actually pretty happy with what we did last night. We were in The Gingerman which was perfect to be honest. Nice and quite. No problem getting seats or drinks.

Then we moved onto Ruby's Lounge and that was when the night started to go downhill. The place is nice and the band 'Monroe' were playing but, as usual, it's just too narrow in there.

Then some of the lads wanted to go to Harvey's and it was a bit shit tbh. Like you said, it seems to only be girls and single guys that want to go there. I'd love a quiet-type pub that opened late. That'd be ideal but there doesn't seem to be that option.

BTW, I still can't believe someone managed to get you into Geoff's!

loves the way geoffs always makes it into there discussions. That place sucks. Each to their own though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd love a quiet-type pub that opened late. That'd be ideal but there doesn't seem to be that option.

The Woodman 7 days a week and the upper-floors of the Kazbar from Fri-Sun.

seanybiker wrote: »
    loves the way geoffs always makes it into there discussions. That place sucks. Each to their own though.

That would be deadly but i'd imagine it would never work in the long term. When you take all the overheads of running a late bar into account they have to be busy. Baker street was my fav pub in town cause it was late bar but never really was too busy but it got too quiet in the end and is twister vicks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I always go to the downses. It never gets over packed and you can a chat and what not. Ususally pop into Ally McLoughlins on the way down town then. After that depends on who Im with. Could be either woodman,ruby loungr or twister vicks. By then I dont really mind if they are a little busier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Nevermind the crowds what's the deal with everyone being so young... was up in the forum lately and the majority of them were definitely under 18... me and my mates are in the 25-35 age group and we felt as if we were back in Kill disco:eek:

Nevermind the crowds what's the deal with everyone being so young... was up in the forum lately and the majority of them were definitely under 18... me and my mates are in the 25-35 age group and we felt as if we were back in Kill disco:eek:
    Ha ha, oh the memories! Actually that is the one thing i'll give geoffs. Its twenty something upwards! And to a lesser extent harveys is the same!

Going slightly off topic but has anyone else noticed how messy people are these days? Now dont get me wrong i get fairly well oiled on a night out but i know when to slow down, its something that was pointed out to me not to long ago and sometimes i'm actually horrified by the carry on around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Simple answer is that you're getting old.

Single people will obviously go to the busiest places to enhance their chances of scoring.

AdMMM wrote: »
    The Woodman 7 days a week and the upper-floors of the Kazbar from Fri-Sun.

Yeah I dont mind The Woodman but that suffers from the same problems as Ruby's Lounge IMO. It's too narrow so feels too packed.

I think that if they just made Ruby's Lounge all one level with no barriers or anything it would be a grand spot.

There's no shortage of decent pubs up until normal closing time but after that, the choice is very, very limited. I agree with Ziedth about Baker Street. Thought it was great but that was probably because it was never too busy which was ultimately its downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The problem is it costs close to €500 a day to open late. It's all right for somewhere for Ruby's, the Woodman and Ruby Lounge which all come under the same licence but for must other pubs they have to be very busy or it's not worth their while opening late (and by busy I mean packed).

Adyx wrote: »
    The problem is it costs close to €500 a day to open late. It's all right for somewhere for Ruby's, the Woodman and Ruby Lounge which all come under the same licence but for must other pubs they have to be very busy or it's not worth their while opening late (and by busy I mean packed).

Yep, that's the problem alright. To justify a late opening, you effectively have to be very busy to make it worth your while. And in order to do that in this town, it seems you can't have a normal, quiet-type pub.

and dont forget that to cover this 500 the fecking place has to over charge everyone who comes into the place. Grr

I know but when you start toting up things like wages,insurance,light,heat i'd say the money they take on the door doesn't go very far.

In saying that it doesn't excuse the prices on drinks in Harveys. I'd love to actually know wat a vodka and redbull costs them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

People moan about the price of drink in Harveys, but still go there, hit them where it hurts in the pocket and go else where, I know waterford is limited in choices when it comes to late night bars, but Harveys is way over priced, s**t djs and music, and owned by a shower of ****, only thing going for Harveys is their smoking area.

People moan about the price of drink in Harveys, but still go there, hit them where it hurts in the pocket and go else where, I know waterford is limited in choices when it comes to late night bars, but Harveys is way over priced, s**t djs and music, and owned by a shower of ****, only thing going for Harveys is their smoking area.

But isn't that the point that's coming up in this thread - where do you go!

• Advertisement

If your not into Clubs forget about Rubys,Escape and the Forum, Muldoons, The Kazbar, Twister Vicks, Dignity , The Woodman thats off the top of my head

If your not into Clubs forget about Rubys,Escape and the Forum, Muldoons, The Kazbar, Twister Vicks, Dignity , The Woodman thats off the top of my head

I do actually like Twister Vicks but to try to get a varied group to go there is pretty difficult, same with Dignity.

Then the others are one and the same as Harveys really except that Harveys has the advantage of being that bit bigger and has the smoking area like you said. So it's pretty easy to see why it ends up being the place of choice for a lot of people, almost by default.

Yeah thats the big draw with Harveys the smoking area, I would love to see somebody give them a run for their money, but trying to get a big area for a smoking area is the problem

Yeah thats the big draw with Harveys the smoking area, I would love to see somebody give them a run for their money, but trying to get a big area for a smoking area is the problem

I wonder has anyone done a price comparison of the pubs and late bars/clubs in town. Anyone know?

I was drinking pints of Heineken in Harvey's Saturday which were €5.30, I think.

Even rubys aren't more than a fiver anymore for a pint.

€5:30...that should be illegal.

Is it because they tried to screw people with a cover charge, so when they scrapped that, they decided to increase the price of drink, and didnt a new law come in to bring the price of drink down?

I'm not sure a law came in...but the price went down in the budget alright.

Even rubys aren't more than a fiver anymore for a pint.

€5:30...that should be illegal.

What are Ruby's charging these days? Can't remember what the recipt said in Ruby's Lounge. A gin and bitter lemon came to around €6.00 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What are Ruby's charging these days? Can't remember what the recipt said in Ruby's Lounge. A gin and bitter lemon came to around €6.00 I think.

It's €4.95 in Ruby's for a pint but it might be cheaper in the Lounge. I can't remember the prices in the Lounge off the top of my head but a gin and bitter lemon would be about €7.30 upstairs.

The prices in Ruby's (and Muldoons and Masons) were lowered a month or two before the budget came.

Still too expensive if you ask me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement