Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the LC difficult to get into?

Options
  • 07-02-2010 3:32pm

Hey all,

I left school after TY, as I felt the Leaving wouldn't be of much benefit to me in my future life. However, over the past couple of weeks/months I've decided that I'd probably be better off with one.

The primary reason i am considering it is so in the next five or ten years I'll have the option of applying to An Garda Sìochàna, though having a proper leaving cert will obviously open more doors for me.

The problem I have is that when I left school five years ago, I thought the leaving cert was a completely ridiculous exam, covering lots of subjects I will never care about or use in future. Unfortunately, I still feel the same way. If I enjoy doing something, I'll pick it up quickly, so I know that I will not do too well with the leaving.

So my question is, after being out of school for five or so years, and begrudgingly accepting I'll need to do the leaving cert, will I have much difficulty with it?

Also, An Garda Sìochàna require the following;

What are the educational requirements?
    Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:
    • A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    • A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
      English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
      Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
      Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    • A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects
    Or
    The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate
    Or
    Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above.
    Now I'm not entirely sure how the LC works, but would such grades above be difficult to get, or would the bare minimum effort get you them with ease? (not that I'd be planning to do the bare minimum).

And finally, for those of you who have done, or are doing, the LC, what subjects would you consider the easiest?

As per AGS above, I'd need to do English/Maths, and I reckon knowing Spanish would be handy, so I'm gonna try my luck with that.

But I was thinking Geography doesn't seem at all difficult?

Sorry for the long-winded post, but it's been bugging me for a while now and I just thought I'd throw the few questions in here to see if anyone has any idea.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

What subjects were/are your strong points exactly?
    O.level maths can be difficult but once you crack on with it, it becomes alot easier and more simple.
    O.Level English as far as I know isn't too difficult, maybe just a little long winded - someone correct me here if I'm wrong.
    As for other subjects I'd personally go for Biology, Geography, Business and spanish/french.
    Those subjects are as far as I know mostly theory rather than having to understand it. I'd go for theory subjects for the most part and I think those 3 would be useful to you as a garda but I can't be too sure. Hope that helps in any way :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Well first off, well done for examining your options and doing your research on this.
    You sound like the classic case of someone leaving school early, having the time to get out in the world and experience life, and then gaining the level of maturity thats needed to focus properly on your career. Its great!

If you're interested in the guards, then as listed per the criteria, you will need Maths English and Irish. The three core subjects of the Leaving Cert. In terms of difficulty, going back in now after a few years out and having to pick up from the start of 5th year, realistically you are looking at going back into a 2 year cycle. I would not try doing this in one year. Theres too much. I wouldnt try to do it on your own either... you will need help and guidance so maybe look into one of those colleges that do adult leaving cert courses in the evening. Ive heard they are fantastic and produce really great results.

In the criteria listed, it said you need a foreign language too. That might be tough to take up a new one if you havent done one before. But in my honest opinion, Spanish is a good option. Its not as complicated as French or German and with a bit of effort on your part, you'd do very well!

That leaves you with 2 more subjects to chose from, so look back on teh ones you dod for Junior Cert. Geography, although not easy because theres a lot in it, is one that you could give a good stab at. And then the final one, maybe History, or the new PLC course (or at least thats what I think its called). It seems to be a subject that covers a wide range of careers and subjects and doesnt requuire you to be an 'expert' in any of them..

All the best and well done again for coming here to look for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭window_licker

With regards to maths, I recommend taking an ordianry level and a foundation level textbook (even a revision book will do!) and see what you personnaly think ur capable of. Would u be able to pass ordinary level maths? Or do you think you'd excel and get a minimum B3 in foundation?
    English can be difficult! The course changes every year, so unless you were willing to sit your LC in two years then u should be fine, doing the English course in a year can be very difficult. How good were you at Irish in school? Because the requirements say u only need the neccassary grade in one. Spanish can be difficult, personal opinion is that german is easier, however, personal preference! If I could suggest two other subjects, they would be Ag. Science (the course is very short!) and business studies (the course isnt exactly short, but very easy and basic!)

Best of Luck to ya, and fair play for taking the plunge and going back to school!

Orlaladuck, I can't honestly remember what I did and didn't enjoy at school. I remember thinking English was alright, but can't really remember how I felt with other subjects, though it's probably worth noting I never really put any effort into school life except the absolute bare minimum. For example, my Junior Cert study sessions consisted of 20 minutes flicking through the book before the exam (I failed History though, so probably wasn't the wisest thing in the world).

Felic, AGS actually don't require Irish any more. You now have the choice of English OR Irish (and another language aswell as maths) so I was thinking that the three subjects I'd do to please AGS would be Maths and English (which are compulsary) and then my other language could be Spanish. I did spanish at school and through some form of miracle, managed to pass it (can't speak any Spanish!).

There's a VEC in Drogheda that do the Leaving Cert, so I was thinking of going down to them, and during the course of the LC, i could take up evening courses in Spanish and Maths (though in saying that, my original thought was to try and squeeze the whole thing into one year, and not drag it out over two).

I appreciate your kind words by the way. Thank you.

Is two years really necessary for the LC?! I'd have thought that, love it or hate it, it could be done from scratch in one year? Or am I just fooling myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I don't know if this would appeal to you but I'll mention it anyway. You can do the leaving cert as an external student. You don't have to go to any school for night classes or courses. You are more restricted in the subjects you can do but you might think about it.

www.examinations.ie is the place to apply for the external students and there lots of other useful information like past exam papers, marking schemes and examiners reports.

www.education.ie has the syllabus for each subject and you can get the 2011 english syllabus there.

An external student might have problems doing the following subjects:

physics
    chemistry
    biology
    physics and chemistry
    home economics
    religion
    geography
    history
    construction studies
    agricultural science
    agricultural economics
    engineering
    technology

and maybe a few others (art??? , music ???), because of projects that have to be supervised by a teacher or experiments that are supposed to be done (but aren't always even by schools)

so that would leave you with

irish
    english
    maths
    spanish + other languages
    business
    economics
    accounting
    classical studies
    hebrew
    applied maths
    + others i can't think of

• Advertisement

Is two years really necessary for the LC?! I'd have thought that, love it or hate it, it could be done from scratch in one year? Or am I just fooling myself?

Yes with commitment you can get those grades in 1 year.

Pathway, if you sit as an external student... How do you go about learning things?

Just teach yourself?

I don't really think i'd be much good at that. A tutor/teacher is always the best way to learn I find, rather than by reading or online learning.

Or am I completely wrong? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pathway, if you sit as an external student... How do you go about learning things?

Just teach yourself?

I don't really think i'd be much good at that. A tutor/teacher is always the best way to learn I find, rather than by reading or online learning.

Get yourself down to the local VEC, it varies from area to area which subjects but they run Leaving Cert courses and you can still get a social welfare while doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Or
    The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate

LCA is always an option, takes a different approach to school and you might enjoy it more and work harder to get the merit?

Just teach yourself?

Yes basically you plough through it yourself. It's not for everybody. If you're working at the moment and would have to take a year off work to go to a Leaving Cert Course then it might be an option.

If you are not working and feel more comfortable being taught then the VEC course is your best bet.

There's so much information online regarding the leaving cert that you wouldn't be short of places to turn if you were stuck. However, if motivation would be a problem studying on your own then you are better off in a classroom. However I thought that as you have a specific goal and career in mind then motivation would be no problem.

There's loads of revision books of varying quality in Easons to help you along too.

I suppose a lot of the external students would be either people in their 20s who are doing honours irish to get into primary teaching, or people doing just 1 or 2 subjects to fulfil a course entry requirement.

Go to www.qualifax.ie and it might give you a list of local places that do leaving cert courses.

• Advertisement

gemxpink wrote: »
    LCA is always an option, takes a different approach to school and you might enjoy it more and work harder to get the merit?

I was never really sure what that was, but I just found some info on it via the Citizens Information website.

A quote from the site;

The certificate is awarded at three levels:

Pass -
    60-69% (120-139 credits) Merit -
    70-84% (140-169 credits) Distinction -
    85-100% (170-200 credits)

A pass in the Leaving Certificate Applied is the equivalent of 6 Grade Ds at Ordinary Level in the established Leaving Certificate.

Does that mean if I were to get 100% in the LCA program, it'd still be a lesser cert in comparison to doing just about average in the actual LC?

LCA seems like a more interesting approach and probably something I'd prefer to do, but I'm most certainly not spending two years busting my jock doing something if it's not going to give me the same advantages as the actual leaving cert, which takes the same amount of time.

Or did I just read it wrongly?

As i say in my OP, The Gardaì is an influential factor in my decision to take on the Leaving Cert. However, so is the fact that practically every third level education course also requires it as a prerequisite. So, whilst the Gardaì is a huge factor and something I would like to do, I also don't want to spend two years doing a not-quite-the-leaving-cert course, only to come out on the other side and realise I've no interest in the Gardaì anymore and want to do something else, and have to do the whole leaving cert cycle again with different subjects or at a higher level, in order to be able to do a proper third level course.

With that in mind, it would seem that most places deem five passes in the leaving cert is classed as 'Passing' the leaving as a whole.

So, I suppose what I'd like to know is, is the LCA frowned upon in comparison to the actual LC?

and as per citizens information, "A pass in the Leaving Certificate Applied is the equivalent of 6 Grade Ds at Ordinary Level"... is 6 Grade D's at ordinary level good, bad or just OK?

It doesn't sound very impressive. I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand the LC is supposed to be very difficult. And I will probably fail miserably at it. However, I want to at least try and do well in it from the get-go.

I don't mind if I fail, but I'll be pissed off with myself if I start doing something this year, and realise there was another, better way I could have went about it that would serve me better down the line. (I know... I'm an awkward bastard. But it just seems that there's a lot of different ways about going about the leaving cert and it's equivalents, and I just dont want to end up with a useless certificate at the end).

Apologies for waffling and rambling on.

Pathway; I don't think I'd have it in me to study by myself. A classroom setting seems a better idea for me. If i was doing it alone, everything would keep getting put on the long finger. I'd never study anything :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Does that mean if I were to get 100% in the LCA program, it'd still be a lesser cert in comparison to doing just about average in the actual LC?

It shouldn't, its just a variation of the LC for students who like less of an academic approach and more of a active approach.
    As i say in my OP, The Gardaì is an influential factor in my decision to take on the Leaving Cert. However, so is the fact that practically every third level education course also requires it as a prerequisite. So, whilst the Gardaì is a huge factor and something I would like to do, I also don't want to spend two years doing a not-quite-the-leaving-cert course, only to come out on the other side and realise I've no interest in the Gardaì anymore and want to do something else, and have to do the whole leaving cert cycle again with different subjects or at a higher level, in order to be able to do a proper third level course.

There are certain colleges that will accept LC students and hypothetically, by the time you complete LCA you'd be past 23 years of age, yes? (presuming you were 16 going on 17 when you left, + 5 years, + 2 years for a completion of LCA) You'd then be able to go to university on a mature adult basis and take any course you'd like as long as you pass the exam.

"A pass in the Leaving Certificate Applied is the equivalent of 6 Grade Ds at Ordinary Level"... is 6 Grade D's at ordinary level good, bad or just OK?

Honestly, I dont think that LCA can be compared in that way as LC ordinary level is more academic whereas LCA is more hands-on.

You need to decide exactly what your target is and work on achieving it. You want to be a Garda right now, aim for that and if it works out that you change your mind, change your strategy. Follow the path to your career and if it needs to change, change with it. Keep your eye on the prize and just work for it. The leaving cert is not easy (trust me, 8 HL subjects and LCVP) and you need to work you bum off to do even remotely well. If you really want to be a Garda, why put yourself through the pressure of the points race etc. when its not required. If I had an easy option, I'd take it. Good luck!

I just found this thread on the LCA which doesn't seem to paint it in a great light at all :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948773

Gemxpink, I can see what you're saying when you say I should decide on my target and work towards that, but to be honest, I'd really like to be able to keep my options open.

I'm 21, and you're correct, I would be able to go to third level as a mature student by the time the two year course was over (I'd be 24, as I believe these courses end in June normally?). I never actually thought of that.

I just obviously have no way of knowing how I'll feel in two years time, and although I most probably will still want to join AGS, i really don't want to end up in a situation where I want to try my luck at something else and realise i should've done the proper LC.

Has anyone on here actually done LCA? Maybe if I balanced LCA with some evening courses in languages or maths or something that would have worthwhile certification.

Part of the Garda education prerequisites is;

"Like Grades in another examination, which, in the opinion of the Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, is not of a lower standard than the above."

So maybe if I got something certified by FETAC or something. There's a place in Drogheda town called "Cyber Academy" who say "our Language courses are EDI Certified and FETAC approved". I've never heard of EDI, but maybe that could be good to work on, and overshadow similar language based studies in the LCA, but be strong enough to compete with proper LC certification?

Does anyone know if FETAC certify languages, maths or other LC subjects that could give you the opportunity to get LC equivalent results, but in a different format (that is; not run like a school, but like a FAS course style of things)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I just found this thread on the LCA which doesn't seem to paint it in a great light at all :(

<snip>

Has anyone on here actually done LCA?

I don't think anyone here has done LCA, but don't let that stop all sorts of negative opinions being expressed.

A merit in the LCA is easily achievable if you can do the 90% attendance.
    The LCA tells you a lot more about what the person is like than bare grades in the LC do.

If you get a Merit or Distinction in the LCA, it means (among other things) you can be in on time all the time, hand up work on time, research topics independently and put your point across well in a number of major interviews and solo presentations (written and oral). You can tailor some of the tasks to suit your own interests or the requirements of the guards and you could arrange relevant work experience. So, for example, you could learn some sign language or first aid, or something useful like that as a Personal Achievement Task and have it count as one of your tasks for the LCA (two birds with one stone). You could explore the possibility of doing some of your work experience in a security detail in a store.

Of course, the hard part of getting into the guards is not the entry requirements. Good luck whatever you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mandymoo999

Hi There,
    just reading the posts and its weird im in the exact same boat well im 23 with no leaving cert and the only thing i want to do is join the AGS my heart is broke trying to find somewhere i can do my leaving cert, i was made redundant last june from my job so on social welfare so private tution is out ,i live in Galway and apparently the leaving cert is not in demand in my area so i dont know what to do but to answer you question the AGS will not accept FETAC as of yet i emailed them and asked was there anything else i could do other than my leaving cert and they said no other than the equivelent (english a levels etc) but College degree , FETAC etc is out. If anyone knows anything i could do in the west of ireland i would really appreciate it, iv been trying and trying and hitting brick walls and slowing beginning to think i should give up...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

62.5% of the marks for LC art go for the practical. I think it's a good option to consider if you want minimal rote learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

OP, to be honest, while the LCA has its merits, you'd be better off doing the regular LC. There is a lot of competition to get into the Gardaí, you'd be competing against students who have done a few years in college, so you'd be better off with the more established course. As well as this, the LC will leave your options more open should you go for a Plan B. Doing LCA would likely require you to attend a mainstream secondary school, whereas your local VEC should be providing the LC. Get yourself down there!

my heart is broke trying to find somewhere i can do my leaving cert, i was made redundant last june from my job so on social welfare so private tution is out ,i live in Galway and apparently the leaving cert is not in demand in my area

Have you contacted your local VEC i.e City of Galway VEC? If not, try Co. Galway VEC. Surely one of these is providing the LC in their adult education centres? It's too early for them to know what the demand is for Sept.

Right, today I visited the VEC (in Drogheda) and asked about the LC.

Their course is only a one year course, but there is a two month pre-LC course that they run, and people who do well on this tend to be chosen for the LC above others (apparently!).

So that means that anything I so choose to do, will need to be done within one year. To further complicate things, i have been mooching on the net, and despite me originally thinking 5 Passes at ordinary level or above was considered 'passing the leaving cert' it would appear that 6 is now the number i should be aiming for?

If that is the case, should I just stick my name down for everything and just continue to study for the five? If i pass any of the others consider it a bonus? If I fail them, who cares, i never expected to be doing them anyway?! Or does a fail reflect badly?

Also, their course is called "Leaving Certificate Course For Adult Returners" and the subjects the cover are;

Computers
    English
    History
    Business
    French
    Maths
    Art

Now... Forgive me if I'm wrong, but since when is "Computers" a leaving cert subject?! Is that actually an LC subject? If so, as someone who pretty much waltzed through ECDL with FAS, would computers be a pretty obvious choice for me?! Or is it a lot more theory than practical effort?

I must admit, I'm noy exactly thrilled with whats on offer. I was hoping to get Spanish over French as I at least have a small bit of history with it and just generally seen it as a more useful language. There's no Geography option, and I absolutely despise History. Art, though practical, requires a lot of ready-grown talent that some people (me!) just don't have.

Can i ask, is art still primarily related to drawing things? Could I get away with somehow mixing photography into it? I like photography, but I can't mould stuff or draw for the life of me.

Sorry for banging on here, but I just don't really know what the fcuk I'm doing at all, and I need to figure out soon. Also, if the course is one year long, how do you figure out what level you'll be doing!? Do they assume everyone is just Ordinary/Higher/Foundation or does each person choose closer to the actual LC exam?

I have absolutely no idea what way to approach this now at all. :confused:

Can i ask, is art still primarily related to drawing things? Could I get away with somehow mixing photography into it? I like photography, but I can't mould stuff or draw for the life of me.

The syllabus for the art syllabus is below. It seems it hasn't been updated in a while since they still make reference to it following on from the intermediate certificate. You can check the art exam past papers and marking scheme on www.examinations.ie to see if it corresponds to the syllabus here

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=17216&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&subject=28150&language=EN&link=&page=

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

Art, though practical, requires a lot of ready-grown talent that some people (me!) just don't have.

IMO, doing well at art at leaving cert level (and in general) isn't about talent. It's really a skill that is learned like anything else.

The art practical exam is composed of:

Imaginative Composition or Still Life (100 marks)
    Design or Craftwork (100 marks)
    Life-Drawing (50 marks)

I don't know a whole lot about the practical side of the course apart from what is relevant to me, but there is a lot of choice. For craftwork you can do puppetry, lino-printing, carving and loads of other stuff. I think most schools do graphic design, but if you really hate it there are always other options. I don't think photography is one though. There is also loads of choice with regard to what media you can work in for your imaginative composition/still life and life drawing exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I've never heard of photography being mentioned as an option for leaving cert art.
    And if you don't like art, then don't take up art. It's not an easy option like some people think it is. The practical work is marked quite tough; examiners expect students to show good technical ability as well as creativity.

since when is "Computers" a leaving cert subject?! Is that actually an LC subject?

It's not on the 'established' leaving cert anyway unless they are referring to technology and design and I very much doubt it.

Maybe it's a LCVP subject which I know nothing about.

There's also the LC applied. Could it be a subject on that?

Maybe it's just a general course in computers to prepare people for their use in the working place and elsewhere. Don't know to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, Computers, or Information Technology is an option as a specialism on the Applied Leaving Cert. Photography is an option within the Craft and Design course of the LCA.

It's a pity people don't take the time to find out about the LCA before they dismiss it, but hey, it's Ireland.

OP - computers will be in that course as it is probably run under the Adult Ed./Literacy scheme and they get better funding if it's included. I doubt you'd be doing more than a couple of classes a week.

spurious wrote: »
    It's a pity people don't take the time to find out about the LCA before they dismiss it, but hey, it's Ireland.

To be honest, it looks like LCA is a lot more interesting and practical than the regular old Leaving Cert. One of my issues with it though, is that th eonly place that seems to run it in the (Drogheda) town, is a place called 'Drogheda Youth Development' and for some reason, the course only seems to attract scumbags of all descriptions. So whilst I'm actually thinking LCA is not too shabby looking, I'd rather not spend a year in the company of such people (the tutors spend about half the day just trying to get the 'students' to sit down and shut up).

It's just.. The VEC's version of the leaving cert looks very poor (for me anyway). No choice of language, have to do history, etc.

I re-read the VEC "Leaving Certificate Course For Adult Returners" and underneath the list of subjects available, it says:

"Certification: You can study at your own pace towards a variety of examinations - Junior Certificatre, Leaving Certificate, FETAC Level 4"

I don't know how I missed that before, but going on the FETAC level thing, they regard the Leaving Cert as Level 4 and 5 (4 for Ordinary and 5 for Higher I assume) so I'm jus tthinking that maybe they aren't actually giving you a leaving cert, but instead will just certify you at level 4 of your chosen subjects?

Or would the FETAC thing only apply to Computers (ECDL perhaps)?

They could make this so much easier. I'll have to go down and talk to them again. This is just silly at this stage.

I just noticed on the leaflet they also have "Adult Education General Certificate Course". The Certification states:

"Certification: FETAC. This course is suitable for adults who are returning to education for the first time. No prior knowledge of any of the subjects necessary. All welcome"

Maybe if I'm to do the LC that'd be the best place to start?

Spurious - You seem to be pretty high on the LCA; Have you done it (or know anyone who has?). If I do the LCA, can I still do the regular LC afterward? Do you know if LCA is sufficient for m/any third level courses?

Thanks again to everyone with their help with this by the way. You guys are great!

I know about the LCA because I have taught on it in our school.
    Our students do French and Irish as their languages for LCA as they have generally done Italian to Junior Cert..

They would also do Engineering/Mechanics, Catering studies, Office Admin., Social Ed., Mathematical Applications, Music, Drama, Film Studies, Art and Design, Entrepreneur studies - there are others I can't remember. We tailor our LCA to the particular year's class. Some wanted to learn about repairing motorcycles and small engines so we put that on. Others wanted a short course on health, fitness, grooming etc. and we added that.

You can apply to the Garda college with a merit in the LCA, which I think was your original query. Of course, the entry requirements are not what usually stop people joining the guards, it's the various screening procedures they have.

Many PLC courses which are 'back doors' to degree courses accept a merit or higher in the LCA.

If the choice is between getting a mainly OL LC or a merit or distinction in the LCA, I'd go with the LCA, though I am very aware that it is run badly in many places. It's a two year course so I'm not sure how practical it would be to go and do another Leaving Cert. afterwards, particularly if you've already got your entry requirements for the guards.

Thanks for the quick reply Spurious.

As i mentioned in the thread, I would like to try and keep my options open in the event that in two years time I've decided I don't want to be a part of the Gardaì. So I'd like to be able to progress on to other stuff if I do decide against it, or even if I did get into AGS and just found that I didn't like it, for example, I'd like to be able to do something else, preferably at third level.

This is where my issue regarding LCA comes in. Is LCA as good as LC when it comes to progressing on to further education afterward? Or will LCA be enough for AGS, but not quite enough to do anything else with?

Just don't want to leave myself stuck and have to do the regular Leaving cert later down the road, you know.

Almost anything that can be accessed through the PLC progression route is open to you with the LCA. It would rule out things like direct entry Medicine and Law (though not some related degrees) so if either is one of your interests you would either have to do a standard LC or wait til you are 23 and get in as a mature student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 poppygirlx

Just study, and you'll be fine. =]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

spurious wrote: »
    Almost anything that can be accessed through the PLC progression route is open to you with the LCA.

While this is true, the established LC is the most direct and quickest route. You can do the LC in one year and then apply for AGS and/or college through the CAO. The LCA will take two years and you'll need one year of a PLC to progress onto third level.

The Gardaí are keen to take people who have some experience in other areas and higher education. I don't know what the statistics are but personally, I know one Garda who had done 2 years of an Arts degree and another who had first year Ag Science done when they got accepted (they had previously applied after the LC).

Don't give up or let the choice of subjects put you off though. Anything is possible when you put your mind to it:)

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    The Gardaí are keen to take people who have some experience in other areas and higher education. I don't know what the statistics are but personally, I know one Garda who had done 2 years of an Arts degree and another who had first year Ag Science done when they got accepted (they had previously applied after the LC).

I heard this too. Don't know the guy but he said he was doing first year arts (UCC or UCD - can't remember) to improve his chances of getting into the guards. Don't know how he got on but he felt it would give him an edge.

Advertisement