Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New model Toyota Avensis Diesel fault

• 07-02-2010 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Thanks to Alastrainor for pointing me to this forum

A question about Toyota's. I have a new model Toyota Avensis, diesel. On several occasions I have taken my foot off the accelerator and the engine has continued to rev at the same level of rpm until a few seconds elapse. I thought the mat had stuck a few times but the pedal is entirely free. Having a fair amount of torque if one slipped the clutch with high engine revs the car may be dangerously propelled forward e.g. slowing at traffic lights etc.

I brought the car back and being a woman I found it very condescending of the dealership to ask what shoes I was wearing! I drive in flat shoes, I have had several cars, my last being a VW diesel and I do know my cars well! I did not appreciate the smart remark, made me feel as if I was silly woman, they said there is nothing wrong with the car.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem, in light of the Toyota recalls, as I am heading back to the dealership next week?

I expect I will have a much better reception about my complaint from the dealership after all of the items being reported about Toyota that are currently in the news

I am now convinced that there is a real fault in the car. Forewarned is forearmed and I expect to pursue this vigorously.

If anyone has had any Toyota Avensis similar faults please reply

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Isnt this the actual fault that all the cars are being recalled for?
    In your situation & seeing as you have previously reported this(I would hope its on file in the dealers), I would call them, tell them you have this fault as reported previously. Tell them you are no longer driving the car as to do so would be knowingly putting the public at risk and that you require a replacement until the fault can be dealt with. By all accounts, people are fine to drive while subject to a recall but if you have had the actual fault in your car, you should not drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

Hi OP,

You can now check if you're car is affected by checking your reg no on the toyota.ie website...
    http://www.toyota.ie/recall/

If you're car is a new model (made between Nov 08 and July 2009) then it is most likely part of the recall and they should have taken the complaint very seriously....

It's best to talk to toyota dealer you bought the car from --- reminding them you recently purchased from them --- talk to the sales guy you dealt with ....

In general, I have found toyota dealers (sales and service) to be very good over the last 10-15 years I have dealt with them....
    brooker wrote: »
    Thanks to Alastrainor for pointing me to this forum

A question about Toyota's. I have a new model Toyota Avensis, diesel. On several occasions I have taken my foot off the accelerator and the engine has continued to rev at the same level of rpm until a few seconds elapse. I thought the mat had stuck a few times but the pedal is entirely free. Having a fair amount of torque if one slipped the clutch with high engine revs the car may be dangerously propelled forward e.g. slowing at traffic lights etc.

I brought the car back and being a woman I found it very condescending of the dealership to ask what shoes I was wearing! I drive in flat shoes, I have had several cars, my last being a VW diesel and I do know my cars well! I did not appreciate the smart remark, made me feel as if I was silly woman, they said there is nothing wrong with the car.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem, in light of the Toyota recalls, as I am heading back to the dealership next week?

I expect I will have a much better reception about my complaint from the dealership after all of the items being reported about Toyota that are currently in the news

I am now convinced that there is a real fault in the car. Forewarned is forearmed and I expect to pursue this vigorously.

If anyone has had any Toyota Avensis similar faults please reply

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

There's a facility on the Toyota Ireland website where you can enter your reg number and see if your car is part of the recall - if your car is recognised as being part of the recall then you know where you stand. Other than that, you should probably try a different Toyota dealer - they're normally quite helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it's a regular occurence it should be easy enough for them to replicate the fault, this may involve leaving the car with them to drive for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brooker

Today I had a very different reaction to my previous visit!
    The fault is being taken seriously, I am sure due to all of the publicity about Toyota's in the news reports
    Thanks to all that posted to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

brooker wrote: »
    Today I had a very different reaction to my previous visit!
    The fault is being taken seriously, I am sure due to all of the publicity about Toyota's in the news reports
    Thanks to all that posted to help

Rub their noses in it... PLEASE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimmy hosford

am a disabled driver in my late 50 s
    have the car 6 mths and its going back for the 4 time with engine cut outs and power loss since new.
    what if toyota can ot repair or admit the problem ? am I screwed
    best built cars in the world but what about the Power Plant ?
    jimmy

Advertisement