Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underfloor heating - burst pipes problem

• 07-02-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

We're 6 months into our self-build, and a mini disaster has struck!

There is under-floor heating downstairs, all installed and pressure tested.

The weather had really slowed the build and the heating was not up and running before the cold weather struck - and sure enough the -10 temperatures ended up freezing the underfloor pipes.

I pressure tested a few of the loops this weekend, and none of the loops held the pressure, and after a few minutes I could see water seeping up through the floor. I did not check all loops - but I assume if a few are burst, all of them are likely to be. I also assume each loop may have burst in multiple locations - but there's no way to be sure.

I'm now faced with the dilemma - put in rads or rip up the floor and re-lay the underfloor pipe. I'd appreciate it if anyone here knows if it is possible to pull up a concrete floor (about 65 mil thick slab) - or if it is insanity to even consider it?

If anyone knows if the house-build insurance should cover this too? I contacted the insurance company, and even though the insurance was supposed to cover fire/flood/ and storms 'under the course of construction' they said it would not be covered as a storm is 'wind or rain'. I think I may have a case that storm should include all weather damage and maybe they are trying to put me off. Again, if anyone has any info in this area it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I'd take up floor and re pipe underfloor, underfloor should be laid over kingspan insulation then only a dry mix screed 60 to 80mm deep, once you start breaking into floor the screed wont be long coming up.

You might not have to re pipe entire floor just repair burst sections, I dont think you could find them accurately without taking up entire screed.

Sounds like a head ache all the same, I've fixed a few underfloor leaks from chippys drilling into pipes or accidents during floor screed, first time I've heard about a story like yours.

I'd say you'll be kicking yourself if you give up and go rads, it will prob cost more to fit rads than fix underfloor, the only problem is taking up floor is a pig of a job.

No idea on insurance. I'd look into pipe, who made it, where it came from and what sort of warranty pipe is under as I've never seen anything like that happen.

Forgot to mention, you might have some come back depending on who laid underfloor, underfloor should be pressurized with air during testing and screed, the only time water should be introduced is during commissioning / filling system and turning on for floor drying (geo thermal). Had their of been air in pipe you'd never have burst pipes, water should only be in pipes around time system is about to come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Thanks items, I appreciate the response.

The pipe was bought from systemlink, but I'll give them a call to see if it is guaranteed in anyway, though I'd doubt it - but I'd say no pipe could stand up to the pressure of freezing water.

I'm hoping taking up the existing screed won't damage the insulation that is down - I'm going to try take up a small section first to see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

tails_naf wrote: »
    Thanks items, I appreciate the response.

The pipe was bought from systemlink, but I'll give them a call to see if it is guaranteed in anyway, though I'd doubt it - but I'd say no pipe could stand up to the pressure of freezing water.

I'm hoping taking up the existing screed won't damage the insulation that is down - I'm going to try take up a small section first to see how it goes.

Did you buy the kit from system link and self fit or did you pay for the installation?

If you paid for installation system link is responsible for pipe until job complete.

If you fitted pipe yourself, I guess its bad luck, system link should have mentioned not to leave water in pipe, only use air for pressurizing until heating ready to come on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Yvonne123

Hey,

I am building a house at the moment and the exact same thing has happened to us. Can you tell me what did you do in the end to fix the problem?

What a disaster!

Yvonne

Advertisement