Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law bcl

Options
  • 07-02-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hey, I'm thinking about law next year in UCD. Just wondering if anyone has any insight which i may find useful?

college seems so daunting and i'm trying to ensure i make the right choice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'd recommend it. Easy to study and do well in exams without much work so plenty of time for sports and a social life.
    /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 arryanna

thanks a million!
    is the course interesting?

arryanna wrote: »
    thanks a million!
    is the course interesting?

The content is for the most part quite interesting, obviously at times it gets stuffy and boring. I'd recommend a 'Law with' degree (History/Politics/Economics/Philosophy) as the Arts subjects add that bit extra to the law side
    You better possess a decent ability at and keen interest in essay writing for this course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Doing BCL, I'd recommend you did the pure law BCL option unless you really think you'll get bored easily doing law, however this is only because in reality I am lazy. Most of the Law-with students (in my experience, and certainly in my year) really hate the "with" part of their course, with the possible exception of the economics crew.

Pure law is great, I couldn't be happier.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Doing BCL, I'd recommend you did the pure law BCL option unless you really think you'll get bored easily doing law, however this is only because in reality I am lazy. Most of the Law-with students (in my experience, and certainly in my year) really hate the "with" part of their course, with the possible exception of the economics crew.

Pure law is great, I couldn't be happier.

Don't listen to this, he's just trying to ruin your college life!

• Advertisement

Like if you wanna pollute your nice law degree with arts, go ahead :)

And if you wanna spend the next 4 years in the Gym do B&L :D

(I kid, I kid, merits to all of them...)

In some countries you have to do Arts before you touch law

Are we trying to base our education on the American Model? Cause lets face it, its not really something to aspire to....

But it is; Harvard, MIT, Yale, Duke, Berkeley etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bahhoweya

Hi,
    I recommend pure law too, the "law with" cources limit the choice of law subjects you can do quite severly IMO, because some are mandatory for recognition in Kings Inns/Law Society/England etc etc, if you have an interest in another subject take it as an elective, but I remember in my first year most "law withs" trying to change in the first few weeks!

However, there are some downsides to UCD law, you are very geographically isolated and the facilities are terrible, they are planning on building an entirely new law buliding some time in the distant future, and because of this refuse to make any improvements to the current building. It lacks heating, water fountains, decent food, to name a few!

I find the majority of the lecturers are of a very high quality though, and the structure of 6 subjects per semester is manageable.

One think I recommend to any student entering into law now is start thinking about the future early! Take note of what subjects you need for your degree to be recognised, and try to spread them over the three years, rather than leave them all for you finals!

Any questions feel free to PM me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

bahhoweya wrote: »
    However, there are some downsides to UCD law, you are very geographically isolated and the facilities are terrible, they are planning on building an entirely new law buliding some time in the distant future, and because of this refuse to make any improvements to the current building. It lacks heating, water fountains, decent food, to name a few!

What a bizarre reason to dislike UCD law :confused:

I've never found any huge problems with heat in Roebuck, but obviously one should choose their course based on the presence of water fountains. I have found them to be integral, really.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bahhoweya wrote: »

One think I recommend to any student entering into law now is start thinking about the future early! Take note of what subjects you need for your degree to be recognised, and try to spread them over the three years, rather than leave them all for you finals!

It's a four year course

In fairness SarcasticFairy we're never in anything other than theatre 1 and 2.

Unless we go to tutorials.... Which might happen sometimes, in the future, maybe....

In fairness SarcasticFairy we're never in anything other than theatre 1 and 2.

Unless we go to tutorials.... Which might happen sometimes, in the future, maybe....

This is true, but eh, water fountains would still not be first on my list of things to look for in a course, s'all. :)

However both of us frequently moan about the ****ing trek and half to Roebuck...

However both of us frequently moan about the ****ing trek and half to Roebuck...

I've taken to saying I've to walk to Wicklow......

I regularly miss lectures because I don't want to walk all the way down there. (I am actually that lazy, and also, it rains, and that is a miserable, miserable walk when you could be... anywhere else. Not getting very, very wet.)

(It's actually maybe a ten minute walk, but like... still.)

is roebuck that bad??

is roebuck that bad??

It's a castle with a courtyard for budding law students to loiter and discuss stimulating legal topics whilst sipping on the finest fairtrade coffee UCD has to offer. Many Supreme Court and High Court judges recall fondly many brilliant arguments they had in that courtyard.
    Roebuck is mystical and romantic, with a classic, timeless charm. So it isn't all that bad.
    We'll see you in September we hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

It's a castle with a courtyard for budding law students to loiter and discuss stimulating legal topics whilst sipping on the finest fairtrade coffee UCD has to offer. Many Supreme Court and High Court judges recall fondly many brilliant arguments they had in that courtyard.
    Roebuck is mystical and romantic, with a classic, timeless charm. So it isn't all that bad.
    We'll see you in September we hope

I agree with the quality of the coffee - probably the best on campus. I sense some sarcasm in your beautiful description of old Roebuck but I must protest anyway - I have no love for it at all.

RichTea wrote: »
    I agree with the quality of the coffee - probably the best on campus. I sense some sarcasm in your beautiful description of old Roebuck but I must protest anyway - I have no love for it at all.

That's the beauty of it; it doesn't need your love and it doesn't love you. But the love for law is the mutual ground on which a passive relationship exists between man and castle

• Advertisement

is roebuck that bad??

Nah, not at all. It's grand :) Bit of a trek, but I am really just dramatic, and very lazy!

Also, you spend very little of your time there, in first year anyway. Probably spend more time there as you go on, but we're in Arts/Science more often at the moment :)

thanks a million you guys :) hope to be joining ye in september :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Could I ask whether the "Law with" courses automatically qualify you for the entrance exams in the Kings Inns? Is it possible to choose modules specifically to cater for these? Essentially what would these give me in terms of being able to sit the Kings Inns' exam or would I have to do just Law.
    Cheers...

IRcolm wrote: »
    Could I ask whether the "Law with" courses automatically qualify you for the entrance exams in the Kings Inns? Is it possible to choose modules specifically to cater for these? Essentially what would these give me in terms of being able to sit the Kings Inns' exam or would I have to do just Law.
    Cheers...

The BCL with is the exact same as the BCL so you can sort out your entrance criteria through adequate module selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 08421331

Hi! I'm in second year BCL. it is interesting, but there is tons of reading to do and if you want to do well u need to do it. It's handy in first year, but gets a bit more competitive in degree years.
    But if you feel u'd like it, go for it! :) U can ask me questions if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 08421331

Try getting up to Roebuck for 9am monday morning! Painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

08421331 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm in second year BCL. it is interesting, but there is tons of reading to do and if you want to do well u need to do it. It's handy in first year, but gets a bit more competitive in degree years.
    But if you feel u'd like it, go for it! :) U can ask me questions if you want.

That's hardly your student number as your username?!

Anyone reckon the points will rise dramatically for law this September?? (I hope not) :(

They'll rise a bit, I'd say 480. 470 was a freak low due to an illogical idea that recession in 2009 = no jobs when you get qualified in 2016...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Anyone reckon the points will rise dramatically for law this September?? (I hope not) :(

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Stick it out!

Advertisement